Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Car - Some Advice

Options
  • 31-03-2007 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

Basically just after buying a new car and want some advice.

First off, the car has alloys with what I've been told are low profile tyres. What are low profile tyres? I've been told to change them because I'll be driving on crap backroads and the like. Does that mean I've to change the alloys too?

Also, the vehicle has a backbox exhaust fitted, are these easy to take off because I don't really want it?

Pardon my ignorance and thanks for your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭AsphaltRisin'

Well if you drive carefully on back roads you'll be grand, you'll just have to bear in mind that if you're on a dodgy road then you'll have to not go over potholes at speed and slow down for rough bits. Which you shouldn't be flyin over anyway because it's bad for any car.. but that's for another day.

However, if you do want more beefy tyres, you'll need to get smaller diameter wheels or standard wheels that would have come with the car originally, because otherwise they wheels wont fit under the arches. Low profile tyres are to allow you to fit big wheels to a car and still have the same rolling radius.

Bear in mind that many expensive cars like BMW and mercedes have low profile tyres from new because they have 17 and 18 inch wheels on some of them as standard, so low profile tyres dont necessarily mean the car is unuable on back roads. You can still wreck you're tyres very quickly if they're not low profile by abusing them by drivin fast on bad roads or drivin up on kerbs and the like.

As for they exhaust, you'll probably just need to get a new rear section of your exhaust. The likes of Advance pitstop similar can easily supply a standard exhaust for most cars. Should be a case of just taking it off and bolting on a standard spec piece instead

Advertisement