Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Really weird tyre episode.

Options
  • 31-03-2007 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭

A weird thing happened to me yesterday, and I've thought as much since about what could have happened, and I just cant figure it out.

On the way home from work yesterday, I got in my car and drove off, no bothers. After about a mile, the steering started to pull and wobble, and I presumed I had a puncture. Got out, realized the wheel was completely flat, changed the wheel and off I went. I stopped a while later to get the puncture repaired, brought it in and they started to look for the puncture itself.

The dude searched for about 10 minutes, as did I, and couldnt find anywhere that could be leaking air. He pumped it back up, put it back on the car, and its been perfect ever since.

I'm guessing that had I a puncture before moving off, the tyre would have already been flat before I moved off, so I havent a notion what could have caused that.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The only thing that I could think of is that the tyre was pulled from the rim and all the air escaped in one go.

For that to happen it would take a bump against an obstacle or some really hard cornering ...you would have known about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭patrickc

if no puncture could be found sounds like someone let the air out of your tyre

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭Archeron

peasant wrote:
    The only thing that I could think of is that the tyre was pulled from the rim and all the air escaped in one go.

For that to happen it would take a bump against an obstacle or some really hard cornering ...you would have known about that.

This could get me thinking. The road I was on had a bit collapsed, and the car did go partially into a reasonably big dip on my side of the road (the side where the funny tyre was). Hardly felt it in the car though, so didnt think it was serious, but I suppose that could possibly have caused what you suggest. I actually didnt know the air could get out like that, at least not that quickly, as the car would have been in the dip for maybe 1-2 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If that's what happened, you want to have a good look at the sidewalls of the tyre in question.

There could be some damage lurking there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭Archeron

Will do, cheers for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Countryripple

Similar thing happened to me. air kept going down in the tyre quite quickly after pumping it up. brought it to be repaired. guy looked and looked for puncture. none. then he figure out that the valve was loose. put the tyre back, tightened the valve, still charged me a tenner and i went off with no puncture :o

Advertisement