Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Cinema stopped working...is this a bad sign?

Options
  • 31-03-2007 1:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

I have had my laptop (Gericom from aldi) for nearly three years and Power cinema (which i use a lot) had just stopped working. It tries to start up and then shuts down. I am just about to reinstall it, but do you think this is bad sign for my beloved laptop? it is possible to 'NCT' it, somehow?

forgive stupid questions.
    TTto

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

This can happen a number of reasons.I wouldnt be too worried once it works when you reinstall it.You can do a number of things to bring life to your comp.
    You prob know most of them but i will list
    Defragment Hard Drive(Best to do in safe mode)
    Disk Clean up
    Uninstall unused programs.
    Download latest updates
    Clean Registery
    Clean Cache
    Turn Off unwanted Start up programs and services
    Turn off windows services like error reporter and remote assistance(if not used)
    Scan computer for viruses using avg
    Scan for spyware etc. using 1.Spybot search and destroy2.Ad-Aware3.Avg anti-spyware
    Dont use norton for anti-virus.uses too much resources.
    Turn off indexing service
    Turn off search automatic search for network and printers
    Use a third party firewall
    Turn off all xp graphics.

If you need any help on any of the above leave me a message

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Did it give any sort of error message, or just flash up and disappear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭TT&TO

no error message. just flashed the opening screen then shut down completely. the remainder of cyber link programs i have are working grand. I am ok for dvd players; have loads of them. but i got worried when it this happened. this is first problem i have had with my beloved lappie so far.
    i used limewire recently for one song; uninstalled immediately after as i wasn't happy about security issues on it. do you think i might be infected? i have mcafee virus/firewall?

very worried now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I wouldn't worry a whole lot about it. No harm in running an anti virus scan in Safe Mode though (make sure your AV software is up to date). Grab a copy of AVG Anti-Spyware also and give that a go too.
    VLC Media Player is a good, free, simple media player and it plays just about anything if you are stuck.

Advertisement