Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restoring factory settings?

Options
  • 30-03-2007 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hey,

I have a Hewlet packered Compaq nc8430 laptop here and i basically want to restore it back to its factory settings(i.e the way it came when i purchased it, with no data/information etc left on it, harddrive completely wiped(Bar the os)...

The problem is i cant find out how to do this, ive googled it many a time, with no look...The only thing close to this i can find is restoring it to an earlier date which i dont want....Im not familiar with hp's as my previous computers where all dell, where i simly only had to press F11 on start up and restore it from there, dont get me wrong it could be the same for this, but just to make sure.... dont wanna F**k up the computer...

So...How do I restore my computer back to factory settings? I wanna be careful here not to delete the os and ruin it.....

When i first started up the computer i had to make a recovery disc, does this have my os on it in case i do f**k up the computer some how anyway? it was burned onto 2 dvd's so.....

Hope someone can help me out here!

Cheers...

Another thing aswell...

Every time i start up, i get all these un-necessary programmes running in the task bar thing down on the bottem right of the screen(the one beside the clock)...How can i get rid of the un-necessary ones running as this is slowing my computer down when multitasking...i done this before, but cant remember where the options is, systems or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

In your list of programs installed you should have a program called hp recovery.Click this and follow the instructions.As for the Start panel.Firstly you can often change the settings in the programs themself that start up to not start up .Also if you click start and then click run.type msconfig into run and click startup.you will see a list of startup programs here.You should be able to see from their names or from their locations what programs r what .uncheck the box if you dont want that program to startup.Feel free to post any other problems r if u dont understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 s.valo

Cheers...

Got all the programmes on start up sorted out.....

But still i dunno bout the system restore, i go start menu, All programes, Hp Backup and recovery then theres Hp Backup & Recovery manager, Hp Backup scheduler & Remove Hp Recovery partition? I cant seem to find anything in any of theses?

Also..

Theres system restore in the start menu, All programmes, Accessories, System tools but again this only alows me to set it back to an earlier restore point......?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 s.valo

Its cool lads...

Think iRecovery to Factory Specifications

The HP Backup and Recovery Manager allows the user to recover the PC hard drive to the original factory configuration, if the HP Backup and Recovery Manager was preinstalled on the system.

1. From Windows or F11 Emergency Recovery, enter PC Recovery.

2. Select Recover PC’s factory installed operating system, drivers, utilities and applications. Click Next to continue.

3. Follow the wizard to recover the PC to the factory specifications.
    v'e found it now:

The same as my dell's.....

One quick question though, if i make a complete balls of this, will i still have my os on the recovery disc i had to make when i first used the computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

i think u will.But dont take my word for it.

Advertisement