Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dole: New claim or continue old?

Options
  • 30-03-2007 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi,

I live in Dublin and have an existing means tested dole claim in Waterford but I haven't signed on for 6 months. I'm wondering whether I should go down and sign on to start the payments again. They didn't ask me any questions about what I had been doing or where I had been working the last time I did this.

Or should I start a new claim in Dublin based on the fact that I'm entitled to Unemployment Benefit cause I paid enough PRSI in 2005? The payments from this one should start straight away.

Anyone have experience of this?

Cheers,

S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Moved from Work/Jobs. You should get an answer here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Well a jobseeker's allowance claim links to another jobseeker's allowance claim (i.e. if you sign on within 12 months of the previous Jobseeker's allowance claim) for 52 weeks, but it is means tested.

Jobseeker's Benefit is a fixed rate of payment depending on the average earnings for the relevant tax year. If you have average gross weekly earnings of E150 or over for 2005 then you will qualify for full rate benefit (E185.80) if you have enough contributions.

You would be better off with the Jobseeker's benefit as you would get a higher rate of payment but it's your choice what to go for in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭faolteam

what is the weekly employment benefit for a single person living at home with full prsi contributions ??

and if i am in full time employment what is the rate that i can earn gross so i qualify for a medical card please thank u ...:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

The full single rate for a person on Jobseekers Benefit is E185.80.

The income thresholds for the medical card are:

Weekly Income Limit (Gross less tax and PRSI)

Category Aged under 66
    Single person living alone 184 euro
    Single person living with family 164 euro
    Married couple/Lone-parent with dependent children 266.50 euro
    Allowance for first 2 children aged under 16 38 euro
    Allowance for 3rd and subsequent children under 16 41 euro
    Allowance for first 2 children aged over 16 (with no income) 39 euro
    Allowance for 3rd and subsequent children over 16 (no income) 42.50 euro
    Dependants over 16 years in full-time non-grant aided third-level 78 euro

Reasonable expenses incurred in respect of childcare costs and rent/mortgage payments will also be allowed. Weekly travel costs to work (the actual cost of public transport or mileage at 50 cent per mile) are also allowed. (There is however, no exact definition of what 'reasonable expenses' actually constitutes in relation to housing or childcare costs).

Assessments for medical card purposes for couples are on the basis of the age of the older person.

Advertisement