Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax refund if you can prove you'll be away?

Options
  • 30-03-2007 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Someone told me you can talk to the tax office, tell them you're going to be away for a year and they give some sort of refund or payment in lieu.

It's not like a balancing statement where you get any overpayments refunded at the beginning of the year. I think it's something to do with PRSI contributions.

Does anyone know about this? I'm planning to travel il mundo for two years and would be delighted to get money off the government.

Thanks,

S

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

moving this to one of the business forums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Someone told me you can talk to the tax office, tell them you're going to be away for a year and they give some sort of refund or payment in lieu.
    This used to be the case - I think if you were out of the country for more than 180 days you could claim tax back on the money you earned in Ireland during this time. This was really for people who were getting paid in Ireland but resident abroad for a period. This was done away with 3-4 years ago.

Presumably you'll not be getting paid in Ireland while away so this would not apply to you. So I don't think you're entitled to anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

If you leave half-way through a tax year, you may be entitled to a refund, as your tax credits would have been apportioned evenly over 12 months. If you only work for say 6 months and allocate your full annual tax credits to a six month period, you will generally owe less tax overall.

Advertisement