Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I buy this car?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,100 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Nice car :)

It's not mentioned and I can't really make it out from the pics, but I presume it is leather?

The asking price is very optimistic to put it mildly. Any 6+ year old large petrol car with an engine over 3l and it's is a very limited buyers market over here. Most people would not even consider paying €1,343 in tax alone every year

I bought my 7.5 year old high spec BMW 7-series in top condition with full BMW SH for €11k

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

unkel wrote:
    Nice car :)

It's not mentioned and I can't really make it out from the pics, but I presume it is leather?

The asking price is very optimistic to put it mildly. Any 6+ year old large petrol car with an engine over 3l and it's is a very limited buyers market over here. Most people would not even consider paying €1,343 in tax alone every year

I bought my 7.5 year old high spec BMW 7-series in top condition with full BMW SH for €11k

Looks like it's not at the top end of the scale for those cars! search link. Looks like leather though, it seems to have that shine.

eoin_s wrote:
    Looks like it's not at the top end of the scale for those cars!

They are asking prices. And all of them in your link except the OP's car are <3l diesel, not >3l petrol. The former are worth a lot more and are a lot easier to sell - completely different market!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

It is leather yes.

Price with haggling will be a bit lower of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It doesn't look particularly cheap or well-specced to me, although the mileage is low. Plus, i've always had an aversion to grey leather - particularly the shade favoured by MB. Personally, i'd look at a 430 petrol, on the basis that if you're paying all that road tax you might as well be getting value for it.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Thanks for all the advice guys!

As for spec, its elegance but has the extra perforated leather with heated seats so spec is good.

As for price, its equal in list price to many other 2001 E200 and E240 so I figure the price is ok, plus it is a Merc dealer.

Am I right? or just hopin!

I figure one of the reasons for the lack of diff in price with smaller engines is that people perhaps would be put off by tax and maybe insurance int he case of younger dirvers?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Whether 20k for a 01 320 Merc with low mileage is or isn't a good price isn't the real question.

The real question is:
    Are you willing to take the huge hit in depreciation that is going to happen to this car over the next few years.

Have look at THIS
    and see what happens to the price in the future ...it plummets

If you're happy to lose ~5k a year ...by all means, buy it

PoleStar wrote:
    As for price, its equal in list price to many other 2001 E200 and E240 so I figure the price is ok

Not really. The E320 will be very, very difficult to sell on in a few years time, whereas a 4-pot 2 liter like the E200 will be relatively easy to shift

I'm with anan1 on this one, you might as well get a V8 petrol. Again more power, more toys and it will only cost you a fraction more to own / run compared to the E320

On the other hand, if my budget was €20k+, I'd seriously consider importing a high spec '02 W211* (vastly improved successor to the above W210) from the UK. Think along the lines of £11k plus €6k VRT

*probably the only year in the last few decades that an E-class comprehensively beat a 5-series :D

If it was my money, I'd probably get something like a '00 S500L within your budget

Advertisement