Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Licence???

Options
  • 30-03-2007 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

i heard a story that the government are thinking of bringing out a licence
    for your pc,its something to do with all the broadband tv we have been watching, now i have no link for this so hopefully its all crap

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

Pile of crap.....

The last thing they want to do is demand money for a computer licence given the shocking uptake of Broadband in this country!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Retarded idea thought up by someone that knows nothing about technolody

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I believe there is a move to make the TV license cover things like computers and mobile phones. If that does come into effect then if you had no TV in your house, but had a mobile phone or a computer, then you'd need a TV license! Load of crock so I hope it doesn't happen, though it wouldn't surprise me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I also heard a story that the Fianna Fail dictatorship are trying to come up with an idea to ban car stereos and make anyone with a TV screen in the car pay a separate TV licence for a headrest LCD screen.

The defining moment of this decade will be wheter the Irish people have the courage and common sense to vote these shower of tramps out of Dail Eireann for good.

Anything which can act as a Tv signal receiver requires a Tv License, so as it stands if you have a computer with a Tv tuner card you need a License.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved over to the Broadcasting forum. I think this is more suited here than broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Ulsterman 1690

Would a "PC licence" apply to Mac's and laptops ?
    What about handheld PDA's ?

And what about home built PC's ? Could one get away with whipping out the CPU when they hear a knock at the door ?

I remember onetime the Irish Govt wanted to introduce a "video licence" this was in the days when videos were still considered a rich mans toy (There being no such thing as rich women since they werent allowed to work outside the home :rolleyes: )

A s***-for-brains idea from s***-for-brains politicians in a s***-for-brains government

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

netwhizkid wrote:
    I also heard a story that the Fianna Fail dictatorship are trying to come up with an idea to ban car stereos and make anyone with a TV screen in the car pay a separate TV licence for a headrest LCD screen.
    Please tell me you say that in jest?
    so as it stands if you have a computer with a Tv tuner card you need a License
    I think they wanted it to include any computer, not just ones with TV cards. I guess this is to cover for watching certain programs over the net, which most TV stations do now, or downloading TV shows.

How will this affect us drivers of UK reg cars visiting the Republic :rolleyes:
    The defining moment of this decade will be wheter the Irish people have the courage and common sense to vote these shower of tramps out of Dail Eireann for good.

I think I read somewhere that of all the European countries established in the aftermath of WW1 there is only one which hasnt experienced a revolution

Yet !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

The government do not need any help in trying to recoup any taxes since now that we are all not smoking any more!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

jor el wrote:
    Please tell me you say that in jest?

I think they wanted it to include any computer, not just ones with TV cards. I guess this is to cover for watching certain programs over the net, which most TV stations do now, or downloading TV shows.

I'd like to say it was a joke, however internal wrangling within the FF party has led to this idea of banning car stereos as a way to improve road safety. The idea is that music and radio noise distracts your driving, and by banning them it will allow for more driver concentration thus saving lives. (if a person is so easily distracted, they shouldn't be on the road)

[sarcasm mode] We all know that those bleedin radios were the cause of accidents all along not the fact that our roads are the worst in Europe, that many drivers get no driving education at all and that we are all good drivers only turn off the radio... ban the car radio problem solved; road deaths cut by 50%. Welcome to the Fianna Fail Future, brought to you in association with your local property developer and Manilla Envelopes ltd. [/sarcam mode]

This is a load of nonsense, and it is being kept quite though, expect an announcement on it soon if FF are re-elected though. I can see car dealers rubbing hands in glee as it represents another feature of a car to strip out to pay VRT while simultaneously jacking up prices. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

I think I read somewhere that of all the European countries established in the aftermath of WW1 there is only one which hasnt experienced a revolution

Yet !!!

This country wasn't established in the wake of WW1,just regained its's freedom

SPDUB wrote:
    This country wasn't established in the wake of WW1,just regained its's freedom

All the romance aside the country was established in the wake of WW1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Boston wrote:
    All the romance aside the country was established in the wake of WW1.

The parliament of what country then voted for the act of Union in !800 and if we what to go really far back there were the High Kings of what country

The present political entity might date from after WW1 but that's an entirely different thing than the country

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Groan...

Back to the topic.

Aspects of TV licenceing were recently discussed at the Dail Communications committee.
    http://www.econsultation.ie/

Well all I can say is if theyre prepared to come out with crap like this in the run up to an election It doesnt bear thinking about what they will do if the electorate are foolish enough to return them to power

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

murdoc8 wrote:
    i heard a story that the government are thinking of bringing out a licence
    for your pc,its something to do with all the broadband tv we have been watching, now i have no link for this so hopefully its all crap

Actually they've already done this in Germany!

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

Heard on news on rte2 lastnight, that this idea was being put on hold now. Also that there is no plan to introduce on for mobiles either. (like the N95, and such like) So it seems it will only remain on Tv's or a pc able to recieve a tv signal.

I now have an image of the licence inspector running around after people on phones!!:D (i couldn't live with the shame!!):D

this idea was being put on hold now

Until after the election :rolleyes:

Advertisement