Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank transfer - to non existant account?

Options
  • 29-03-2007 11:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

If I'm transferring money to someone and I make a mistake with the sort code or account number and the account doesn't exist - what happens the money? Is it lost in limbo? Is there a long complex process to get it back? Does it just not send via online banking?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It would probably send via online banking, and eventually be returned (probably to your branch first, and then they'd have to find the account it came from etc and reconcile it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

If the account doesn't exist it will not be transferred at all. It could appear as gone from your account, but it will not have actually gone anywhere. Should appear back when the receiving account is shown to not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

chase it up.

happened to me and the bank just left the money in limbo until the recipient told me he hadn't received it 10 days later and i had to ring the bank!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

It goes into a sundry credit a/c (like a bank's bank a/c) and 9 times out of 10 it will be refunded. Mistakes do happen but it can always be traced and refunded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

RuggieBear wrote:
    chase it up.

happened to me and the bank just left the money in limbo until the recipient told me he hadn't received it 10 days later and i had to ring the bank!
    I've not lost any money or done that, it's just a thought that's occured to me as I've been transferring money much more recently.

Cheers for the feedback lads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement