Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing a bank account

Options
  • 29-03-2007 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

To close a bank account can I just send a letter to the bank? Do I need to call in? Can I do it over the phone?

I have 2 accounts with one bank. Will closing a bank account effect my credit ratings or anything? Or will it just be accepted as something that happens?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 padmack

To close a bank account they bank requires that you do it in writing so a letter signed should suffice. If your accounts are all in credit or at least nil balance you wont have any problem with a credit rating.

Your credit rating is only affected by the bank writing off a bad debt that you may have created through poor conduct. The write-off is then given to a debt collection agency and they put your name/address up as a warning to credit institutions nationwide.

Watch out for Government stamp duty on ATM cards though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'm gonna pop into the bank on Monday and see if I can do it there, even if it means writing a letter in front of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I think there is a fee involved in closing accounts (at least with BOI) and in writing is the norm.

Advertisement