Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Delayed reaction on the clutch

Options
  • 29-03-2007 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

Hi folks,

did a search on this but didn't find anything with my experience.

I was just going from first to second on the way home today when I noticed that the clutch didn't release in the same place as usual, with the effect that it was like a delayed reaction before the gear kicked in.

Thought nothing of it, but then it did it again going from 2nd to 3rd gear. Then I was home so I couldn't analyse it any further.
    I have a 96 Nissan Micra whose clutch was only replaced two maybe three years ago. What could this be? Is the clutch beginning to go?

So when I clutch, it feels normal until I release the clutch. Then instead of the gear engaging there's a pause that wasn't there before!

any wisdom on clutches appreciated. Cheers mica:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Sounds like the clutch is worn and starting to slip. tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

Crap I was hoping it wouldn't be that. We're going abroad later for a year (in September) so will be leaving the wee car behind so don't want to fork out for a clutch which won't be used in less than 6 months time.

Drove into college today and it was fine...maybe it will go very slowly:D

You could probably get away with driving it for a while like that, but its only going to get worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I could be a few things.

Release bearing, the clutch itself or gearbox.

Chances are it's the clutch. Just get it checked by a mechanic at least you'll know what the prob is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I thought a Release bearing would give kind of a squeak? Mine did, but it lasted like that for 3 yrs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

sounds like the clutch slipping, you'll get some more mileage out of it, but if you're doing more town/city driving than country driving, it'll wear quicker. best get it looked at, because the last thing you want is to be stuck on a roundabout, reving loudly and getting nowhere (seems some drivers do that already though!! :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

If the clutch is wearing it would happen frequently and may be accompanied by unexpected rising of revs at low speed and maybe a burning smell. Sounds like a realease bearing sticking and snapping back to me, but hard to tell until you see what happens next.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭nl

I have a very similar problem with a 1.6 Carina E. When I try to accelerate hard the engine rpm increases sharply but there is a time lag before the power is transmitted to the wheels.
    This only happens when im in gear. When I change gear its normal. Is this the normal sign of a worn clutch, or is it a gearbox problem? I dont understand why the clutch would engage while im in gear and accelerating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

nl wrote:
    I have a very similar problem with a 1.6 Carina E. When I try to accelerate hard the engine rpm increases sharply but there is a time lag before the power is transmitted to the wheels.
    This only happens when im in gear. When I change gear its normal. Is this the normal sign of a worn clutch, or is it a gearbox problem? I dont understand why the clutch would engage while im in gear and accelerating?

Its not ( or shouldn't) be disengaging , the clutch disc ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Clutchdisc.jpg ) is probably worn .It is attached to the gearbox.
    In its normal state ( when you are not pressing the pedal) it is clamped between the pressure plate and the flywheel.
    When its worn they can't clamp it hard enough , so it slips causing what you have described. Oil on the disc will cause much the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭nl

I see what you mean. The surface friction between the two plates has dropped so low (worn clutch) that the clutch can only transmit a certain torque. When I am accelerating the torque being transmitted through the clutch increases and thats when the slippage occurs.
    The car has over 250,000 miles on it and the clutch lasted up to now, so not too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Simple test to check if your clutch is slipping or not.

Park the car on even ground and away from any obstacles. Pull handbrake fully. Press the clutch and rev the car to somehwere slightly above idle.
    Now put it into third gear and slowly and steadily release the clutch.

The sooner your car stalls, the better your clutch.
    If your car is sitting there happily idling away and the clutch is fully released ...then your clutch is FUBAR'ed :D

Don't try and "test" this all day long though ...making comparison tables and such, this will also damage your clutch ...once is enough

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

Thanks for all the replies folks...

The car was driven the other day and no problems with the clutch so maybe it's very early signs of it beginning to go.
    I drive on the M1 to DCU everyday so I don't have much starting and stopping till I come off the M1 and even then it's not bad.
    I think I used to have my foot on the clutch too often which is a major crime according to other posts so am watching myself there.
    If it happens on a regular basis I will go to the mechanic with it. The car isn't due a service just yet so it would be great if it would hold till then...but then it is just a car!

Might just try that test Peasant! Cheers! mica;)

Advertisement