Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mk3 GTi

Options
  • 29-03-2007 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking at getting a Mk3 GTi for myself, does anyone here have any experience of these cars and what they are like wrt maintenance/reliability etc? I see theres a few on Carzone but some of them look a little worse for wear. The one below seems to be one of the better ones, but is it overpriced? Never bought a car before so any opinions would be welcome.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=626718

Cheers,

Quon.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Very low milage on that one, was it owned by a nun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭skibum

Have a look at this forum, nice bunch, not much they don't know about VW's :D
    http://vagdrivers.net/forums/index.php?act=idx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I can't get to that link at the moment. But in general...

Just beware most of them have been crashed and/or driven hard. Very hard to find a clean one. So get it checked and double checked. Then check it again.

Most of them are 2.0L 8V and are heavy and not all that quick. They don't even handle all that well, so its not a sports car. But its a strong car, and makes a nice safe cruiser. I kinda like them even though they are not that sporty. Theres a 2.0L 16v which has a bit more poke, but they are even rarer.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,171 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Many people reckon VW lost the plot with the MkIII and MkIV Golf GTi. Over the years the car got heavier and the handling wasn't the best. If you are going for one try and find the 16 valve version.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Or a VR6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,171 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think a similar year Corrado would be a better car to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭quon

Cheers for the replies so far. Yeah, it's a low-miler all right, I might have a look at it tomorrow and see if it has a FSH. I was going to go for another GTi on carzone, a 95 16valver. lovely looking, v.clean, but it was a japanese import :( I see it has since been sold. If the mileage was genuine (47k) the buyer got a corker of a motor.

Re: Bazz26: I'd love a corrado! A good example is ridiculously difficult to find. I'll be using this for motorway driving in and out of work so I need something that can take the miles.

Anyone think this is overpriced? What would you expect to pay for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I would checkout the amount of owners any car that age has, I once bought a corrolla and was told it only had 2 owners from new only when i got the reg etc, it had 5.

was looking at this GTI recently, it looks nicer and its a 16valve. Candy White is the new black. :cool:

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=619185

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'd be very careful about checking the mileage and history on those GTI's. Maybe they are OK but I'd be suspicious Its even harder to find a decent Corrado or VR6's. Most of them are abused aswell, and the Corrado's weren't that well built to being with. The Corrado is a better drive but only the G60 and VR6 have any poke. Good luck insuring any of those though.

You might be better sourcing a good example in the UK and bring it over yourself. www.futureclassiccars.com

Advertisement