Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop dead?

Options
  • 29-03-2007 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭

Bit of a horrible situation at the moment - I think my laptop is beyond repair!

It is a Compaq Presario 3000z - AMD64 512 RAM, etc. About 2.5ish years old and from the US so no warranty.

I went to boot it and it powered on for a second or 2, just managing to post then it turned off. I tried it again and it wouldn't even power on. I took out the battery and tried it directly off the mains and again it posted, and I could get into the BIOS. I powered off and it wouldn't power on again. Left it a few mins and still nothing. Sometimes the charging light flickers.

There are "strange" noises coming from where the power supply connects to. I have tried a different power supply but that didn't make a difference. I removed the hard drive and tried to coax it back into life but it just depends on its mood if it will accept power or not. The furthest I got it was to say starting windows then it instantly cut out.

Any ideas out there as to what I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Sounds like your psu on your mobo could be borked, unfortuantly i have checked the hp part surfer and at the moment there are no Mobo's available for Presario 3000z.

Did you not get a 3 year warrenty with the laptop when you purchased it in the states ?

Parts available for Compaq Presario 3000z
    http://h20141.www2.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.asp?mscssid=H535RHESBCUT9JTJ59EHMCLG4RU16FT8

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭jayo2004

Remove the battery and try it. I seen something similar the other day and it was a faulty battery!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

nice to see you actually read his post jayo.. he clearly said he did that :D

Anyway strange noises from the laptop itself where the power connector is? sounds like an electricl fault there.. blown capacitor or something.. in other words its borked.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭jayo2004

sorry rough night:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Blitz wrote:
    Sounds like your psu on your mobo could be borked, unfortuantly i have checked the hp part surfer and at the moment there are no Mobo's available for Presario 3000z.

Did you not get a 3 year warrenty with the laptop when you purchased it in the states ?

Parts available for Compaq Presario 3000z
    http://h20141.www2.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.asp?mscssid=H535RHESBCUT9JTJ59EHMCLG4RU16FT8

Thanks for the link Blitz, it has helped me find the part number.

• Advertisement

Took a chance and only got 1 year warrenty - aw well. I guess the choices now are ebay for the part, or a cheap new laptop. This is following hot on the heals of my gf dropping something from about 1 metre up directly onto the area covering her hd :eek: Seconds later and bye bye system :(

The bitter thing is the resolution was 1900*1200 and I cant see myself spashing out for that type of system again (at least not at the moment).

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

yeh the older compaq systems had nice big res's but the avarage laptops these days have 1280x800 and above ?

If you were going hp compaq again you should probably look at the dv6000 series, normally come with 2gb ram and amd turon x2.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Sounds to me that the problem is that the power supply is not feeding power to the laptop both to charge the battery and to power it by mains. I reason this from seeing laptops before that were like that with almost flat batteries that manage to get a post screen and the die.

You could test the power output from the supply with a multimeter and check to see if the battery has a led power indicator. The most common problem with a laptop power supply is that the connecting rubber gets stretched and breaks the wires. On three occasions I've had to prise open power adapters and either sellotape or solder them again. I know sellotape is dodgy but it works.

Maplins do good power adapter alternatives. You can get them from Ebay cheaply but some are distinctly dodgy.

Hi Jimmy

I dont think the problem is with the power packs as I have access to several that would normally be able to power it - and they are not this time.

I think something on the boards is damaged as the minute any power supply is attached I hear a buzzing noise from the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

harney wrote:
    Hi Jimmy

I dont think the problem is with the power packs as I have access to several that would normally be able to power it - and they are not this time.

I think something on the boards is damaged as the minute any power supply is attached I hear a buzzing noise from the laptop.

Well that's that then unfortunately.

There are a couple of repair places in dublin
    http://www.computersunlimited.ie/services.htm?gclid=CJ_RufvWq4sCFR8EEAodQTc_Ng
    http://www.****/computer-repairs/webpages/laptop-repairs.htm

Might be able to fix the power problem.

I think also that HP have an out-of-warranty repair service for €350 or so but then again another €200 would get your a nice new dell.

• Advertisement

I know I am dragging up an old post, but I thought it might be of interest to anyone that has one of these Compaqs. It appears that there is a common issues with the way the ac jack is soldered to the motherboard.

http://www.r3000forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1735

I now have to search in the UK for someone that will cheaply solder.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

why send to the uk for soldering?????????????/

i can solder, its no problem. nice resolution, my xps is just marginally better.....

legs11 wrote:
    why send to the uk for soldering?????????????/

i can solder, its no problem. nice resolution, my xps is just marginally better.....

Unfortunately I live in the UK now, but you are welcome to solder it if Boards Beers goes abroad :D

Advertisement