Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless and Laptops

Options
  • 29-03-2007 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

I recently got a dell laptop thats wireless.

At home i have a netopia modem that eircom supplied and my broadband is with eircom. The netopia modem would be one of the ones that was supplied when eirocm broadband came out first (its years old). It has got an ethernet cable as well as a USB. I would like the home desktop PC not to be effected by this though.

So how do i go about setting up wireless in my house?
    And what equiment do i need?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I recently got a dell laptop thats wireless.

At home i have a netopia modem that eircom supplied and my broadband is with eircom. The netopia modem would be one of the ones that was supplied when eirocm broadband came out first (its years old). It has got an ethernet cable as well as a USB. I would like the home desktop PC not to be effected by this though.

So how do i go about setting up wireless in my house?
    And what equiment do i need?

ring eircom and ask them to upgrade you to the Netopia 2247. That has an ethernet port for your home pc and will also support a wireless connection to your laptop.

failing that you can go and buy a wireless router in any decent shop and do the same thing with that. Just make sure that you secure your network once you set it up or you'll have someone else using the connection :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

You would need a Wireless Router, A Basic one is grand for what you need,
    then you follow the instructions and make sure you SECURE YOUR NETWORK!

edit:Beaten by IAGO...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Thnaks lads, I might give eircon a ring but knowing them i'll get charged and it will takes months and there will be complications etc etc

Is there any decent cheap ones I could buy off the internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Is there any decent cheap ones I could buy off the internet?

There's quite a few listed here.

The only thing is, you will have to configure your modem to act as a bridge. If you are not technically minded, this can be sometimes tricky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

If it can be difficult i might go with eircon then. Anyone know how much they charge for that router?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It might be worth asking over on the wireless/broadband forum how much work is involved before you go down that route.

I did it with my router, once, three years ago, so I don't remember the details.

Advertisement