Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭pounder770

looks like a pretty sound buy from the picture...Has anyone here cleared vrt on a similiar one??seeing as they hit me for nearly two grand on my transit,i'm curious what vrt bill awaits on this side?(i reckon find the dearest one in ireland,add vat,then calculate 13.5%....you'll be close...:rolleyes:

still worth it all day long for a good van though!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

pounder770 wrote:
    looks like a pretty sound buy from the picture...Has anyone here cleared vrt on a similiar one??seeing as they hit me for nearly two grand on my transit,i'm curious what vrt bill awaits on this side?(i reckon find the dearest one in ireland,add vat,then calculate 13.5%....you'll be close...:rolleyes:

still worth it all day long for a good van though!!:)

Hi Pounder.

What was the age / condition of your Transit?

Were they open to any discussion / negotiation?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I've never bought anything on e-bay, so I don't know what the modalities are re buying before the auction is finished and how well that would or wouldn't work.

As for the vehicle in question:
    It looks decent enough in the pictures, but if you go and see it, check for structural rust. Neuralgic areas for the red pest are:
    the frame of the sliding door, all four sides, but mainly the bottom
    all bottom edges of all doors
    the little step on drivers and passenger door
    under the mats in the footwells
    the seams of the fron wheel housings, check from inside the car

Front axle geometry gets a bit loose and wobbly with age, check that it feels tight and that the yoke runs straight and that there isn't too much play in the steering wheel.

The 1.6 Diesel (non turbo) only has 50 bhp and runs on momentum only. I had one for seven years ...you can live with it, it will get you everywhere, but boy ist slow ! Motorway trips at full speed are not advisable, as you will blow the engine sooner or later. 80 - 90 km/h (or 50-55 mph in old money) is the cruising speed of choice.

The early diesels only had four speed gearboxes (five is much nicer to drive) and may not have servo brakes either.

Overall a turbo diesel (if you can get one) is a much nicer driver.

All VW diesel vans drink oil (and blow some of it all over the place) oil consumption of 1 to 1.5 liters per 1000 km is normal.

Fixtures and fittings:

Looks ok-ish on the pictures, but it's definetly home-made and no Westfalia or Carthago ...so that should keep the price in sensible regions (but then, you never know on e-bay)

Is it worth 3.5 k STG + VRT + hassle?
    If everything is as it should be ...maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Franner

Thanks a million Peasant (and Pounder), I'll think about that. There's another one going, sale finishing in next two hours..I'll see how that goes.. It has 1900 engine, but is in Devon, which would be a lot harder for me to get to. (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=001&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=110106344178&rd=1&rd=1)
    I should probably try and get engineers' report but am having probs sorting that out.
    Anyway thanks again

There would also be THIS one on carzone.
    It was up for a while for 8k and then the price was changed to POA.
    It would be easier to look at, anyway :D

THIS Toyota might also interest you.

THIS rather nice looking VW is marked as "deposit taken" ... might still be worth a ring though

there are some bigger Talbot/Fiat/Merc/LDV vans on carzone also

• Advertisement

I went out to see the deposit taken one.. it is nice, but unfortunately was already gone.. Mad as it sounds it is almost easier for me to get to Leeds than Laois as I have no transport due to my old camper being kaput and am reliant on people being able to give me a lift. My mate is going to Newark at the weekend and is happy to drive me somewhere nearby.

Bummer about your transport

Wouldn't you be putting yourself under fierce pressure, getting a lift to the UK and all that hassle ...you'd almost HAVE to buy the vehicle, even if you don't like it that much.

Plus the seller could capitalise on the fact that you can't really walk away and come back later.

I'd have no prob walking away to be honest, though if had bought it on ebay I think I'm obliged to buy anyway.. my mate's going to a fair in Newark race course that i'd be interested in seeing anyway so trip wouldn't be in vain... Only prob now is that just found out that his ferry is early Sunday morning and the annual scramble for Glastonbury tickets is that morning as well.. That should probably get precedence.. will all work out in the end i'm sure though :D

Hi Pounder.

What was the age / condition of your Transit?

Were they open to any discussion / negotiation?

Hi Terrontress...
    My van came in last august,as a 1996 transit 2.5 di with a two berth home-build conversion...I paid about 2000 stg for it.our friends in rosslare,on seeing the photos etc valued it at 14000 euro:eek: (I'll sell for that!!)and charged me 1890-ish VRT.
    There is an appeal process,which loads of people dismissed as a waste of time..I did it anyway,and got refunded almost 250 euro...better than nothing i guess.

i'm thrilled with the van,and reckon i still got a bargain..but it's something to factor in when buying a smaller van.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n47/pounder770/Vacation2006b037.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

The first T25 on eBay *looks* ok, but I'd have reservations on bidding a van I haven't been to see myself (or hadn't had someone look at it on my behalf).
    We looked at quite a few eBay t25's for my brother not to long ago...and not one lived up to its photos or description. Whislt I'm not saying they are all like this, its not something to jump into.

Do have a look on www.type2ireland.org There are a few T25s listed in the for sale section...they are all in Ireland already, and if you can't physically get over to see them yourself, there are plenty of knowledgeable members who'd be happy to go and do some tyre kicking on your behalf.

The 1.6D might be slow, but hey, chances are when you drive it you're heading on holiday...what's the rush? Saying that I have just upgraded mine to a 1.9D...but mine is my daily driver. If looked after, the diesel engine will go on forever. They don't *all* drink oil, and in my opinion a 5-speed on a 1.6D would be a complete waste of time. For what its worth I'm sticking with the 4-speed on the 1.9D, I'll just put in a different end drive in the gearbox when I get around to it.

If you get out to look at any T25s (aka T3) on your own I thoroughly recommend you print this off and take it with you:
    T25/T3 Buyer's Guide

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

peasant wrote:
    the modalities

419 talk if ever I heard it!!!

I am considering one of these for my first camper too. After 7 years in one, you should have some insights of an intimate nature, Peasant. Would you advise someone to buy one?

Thanks Dollydishmop.. I share your reservations about buying without seeing, but I know of at least one success story with ebay so I won't completely rule it out. Still it's very interesting to hear that you viewed a few that didn't live up to expectations/descriptions.
    I've been regularly on the Type2 board and eircooled.. They've both seemed friendly helpful sites.. unfortunately T25s that are available all seem to be in Munster, far away from me.
    Thanks for the link to the brickyard guide.. I'd been on the site but hadn't noticed it.. I've got the book on buying a vw bus but that link has the info presented very concisely.
    Again cheers for the advice :)

overdriver wrote:
    I am considering one of these for my first camper too. After 7 years in one, you should have some insights of an intimate nature, Peasant. Would you advise someone to buy one?

Its been 15 years actually :D . seven years with the n/a diesel and another eight with the turbo diesel in my sig.

They are great little cars / campers for one or two people. Aything above that and it gets a bit cramped. Both of them have been daily drivers, only the turbo spend its latter years being driven on weekends/holidays only.

The older of the two only had a pop-up roof, still I managed to live in it for three months one year :D. With a high roof you get a very usable amount of storage space. Due to the low rear engine, you get usable room from windscreen to rear window on a very small footprint, which can't be said about many vans. Mechanically, they're simple and fairly reliable (once you drive them carefully and with a bit of mechanical sympathy), bodywise it's a bit hit and miss. Both mine had some surface rust, but were absolutely sound underneath ...but I've seen some really bad rustbuckets, glossed over with a new coat of paint.

The diesel engines are fine, but slow ...and need to be driven slowly. One hurried trip across the length of Germany on the Autobahn at full throttle (still only doing 115-120 km/h mind you) and I needed a new turbo and new head gasket pretty quickly. Keep the speed (and pressure) down, and it'll go forever. With the petrol engines it's pretty much the same, a good eye on the temperature gauge is advised ...plus the petrols are drinkers, 13-15l/100 km no problem whereas the diesel and turbo diesel will sip around half of that when driven leisurely along country roads. Highest I ever had was 9.5l/100 km on that autobahn trip. They like their oil, though. 1l/1000 km is normal and regular checking is advised. I had them for so long, I could hear when they needed oil :D

As for fixtures and fittings:
    Cooker and sink opposite the sliding door, folding back bench and a cushion above the engine ...and you're away. Add a swivel passenger seat and space is increased massively.

Would I recommend one ...yes, very much so, provided it's a good one and not some over-hyped rust bucket with mouldy interior.

They are getting very pricey though and something like the Toyota in my link above somewhere mightn't be such a bad alternative.
    Plus you can get Transit or Fiat conversions with much more space for the same or even less money ...they're just not as "cool".

This is the thing, ain't it? The "cool" factor. I already own a high-roof Hiace, and I love it, so the Toyota you linked to might be for me. Is that reasonable money for it?

Thanks for the detailed reply, mate!!

peasant wrote:

They are getting very pricey though and something like the Toyota in my link above somewhere mightn't be such a bad alternative.
    Plus you can get Transit or Fiat conversions with much more space for the same or even less money ...they're just not as "cool".

My transit was an ebay purchase...bought on description(the owner collected me from the airport and drove me to collect it!!)it was,if anything,better than described,and including flight and ferry was landed for a shade under 3000 euro(before the vehicular robbery tax)

overdriver wrote:
    the Toyota you linked to might be for me. Is that reasonable money for it?

That can only be decided by having a look at it. The photos don't actually give away very much, do they?
    At that price it might be worth the trip, though.

Hang on, just had another look ...wasn't that thing a grand cheaper last week?

That's what I thought! I looked at a camper on ebay yesterday, and it was a nIgerian scam! Pain in the bum altogether.

Here
    92a8_2.JPG is an aircooled 2 litre T2.5/3 "brick" in what seems to be top condition on german fleabay. (1.5 hours north of Munich airport by train, for those eager to go :D )

Will be interesting to see how much that one goes for.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

Any chance of the link Peasant ;)

Ignore me...just noticed you hyperlinked the pic ;)

I didn't get the van mentioned in the original post.. It went for 3100stg on ebay and was probably good value at that.. but I'd gotten into negotiation re a 30 year old merc van that I think is beautiful (others disagree with me - it's impractical etc) .. I've tried to attach a pic from my ebay of that van but it isn't working.. There's still a chance I might get it.
    I'm also looking at other VWs as I like them and there seems to be a great support system/community about them .

I'm hopefully getting my old van back on the road as well- pics below - (excuse the state of it..) as there is somebody who says they can put a new engine in it for me, and it has been hugely reliable so it seems a shame to let it die unnecessarily. I could end up with two vans if all that happens :eek:

http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t142/Franner_2007/

• Advertisement

Well I got another camper and am chuffed. http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u300/Bohemian07/
    I need more advice though. My old van, (see link in previous post) is in a garage in Newtownmountkennedy and the engine is seized. It cost me 200 euro to get it towed there and now I have to remove it. I just don't know where to.. It seems a shame that some of the parts in it will be wasted, (fairly new gearbox/battery/great front seats/ parts for camper interior such as spotlights, cupboards, cooker, sink, good speakers, awning - though I'll probably sort something out with that.) Somebody suggested to me I should contact the travellers but I don't know where. I'm not really looking to make money, but if I could save having to pay the towing fee again I'd be happy.
    Any suggestions?

Congrats on the new van ...looks decent!
    (somewhat unusual conversion though)

No ideas really what to do with the old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭Alkers

What happened with getting the new engine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭folkswagen

Congrats on the new camper and hope you enjoy lots of happy times and road miles with it:)

I know somebody who couldn't get a caravan sold so they contacted the travellers and got it taken away and a few hundred for it - the cash on collection option would suit you and save your towing fees - though you do have a vehicle to tow it with now;) though storage is often a problem:)

Let us know how it works out:)

I'm not sure what happened with the new engine Simona!986.. On the phone he kept telling me it would be no problem, and the same when it first arrived with him, but then quite suddenly he seemed to change his mind and said it would be too expensive and sounded a lot less keen on doing it.. the question had changed to when it could be moved.
    I don't know many travellers fanwagen, but I suppose I could just call up to them and ask around. I can probably tow it alright (although I'm slightly concerned that it could be bad for my engine in the new one) but storage would certainly be a problem.. I park on a public road that's often busy and it doesn't seem fair to take up two parking spaces on it.
    I'll keep ye posted anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

I might be interested in the seats and awning...
    What is the awning like? It could be too big for our t25.

I'm just going to pm you

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

OH had a look at your van yesterday. He reckons its too nice to scrap. New engine and windscreen and it'd be ready to go. You should advertise it. He thought the pics didnt do the interior justice and it would be a perfect camper for surfers.

I agree (probably obviously!:-) ).. it's been a great van that got us all around Europe a couple of times and a lot of things have been replaced etc on it. Time and storage are my problems.. I think I have to move it fairly soon and I've nowhere to move it to really. It would be expensive enough to get a new engine, windscreen general clean up etc, but probably not as expensive as getting a new van?
    To be fair it owes me nothing - quite the opposite - so I wouldn't mind somebody benefitting from it.

Advertisement