Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Dell Inspiron 5100 and external power adapter

Options
  • 28-03-2007 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am having problems with my dell inspiron 5100 laptop. Basically when I plugged the extrenal power adapter into it last week and powered it up I heard a crack noise and the power adapter no longer worked. I could power up however the laptop on whatever remaining battery power it had left. When the battery ran out of juice I borrowed the power adapter fro a friend with the exact same make and model of a laptop and guess what the same thing happened to his adapter. What could have caused this. Befoer I order and pay for a new adapter from dell I would like to know whether or not the laptop or the power socket caused this.

Rgds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

billyhead wrote:
    Hi,

I am having problems with my dell inspiron 5100 laptop. Basically when I plugged the extrenal power adapter into it last week and powered it up I heard a crack noise and the power adapter no longer worked. I could power up however the laptop on whatever remaining battery power it had left. When the battery ran out of juice I borrowed the power adapter fro a friend with the exact same make and model of a laptop and guess what the same thing happened to his adapter. What could have caused this. Befoer I order and pay for a new adapter from dell I would like to know whether or not the laptop or the power socket caused this.

Rgds

That sounds very nasty billy,

I wonder if there could be a short on the power socket in the Laptop itself?

You really would need to nail that one before you plug another P/S into it.

Did you hear the noise the second time too?

Was it the same mains socket you used? (have you tried another one?)

Also did you use the removable part of the laptop power lead from yours or your friends the second time?

You would imagine the Laptop power adapter would have some sort of protection on it though? I know that some have a bio metallic strip built in & it resets after a minute or two.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

google Inspiron 5100 faulty

It is a flawed design prone to overheating

same as the 1100 1150 5100 and 5150 and 5160

They settled a class action suit on the 5150 in the US and are being sued on the other models now

Advertisement