Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rugby rules 1998

Options
  • 28-03-2007 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I am desperately trying to find the Rugby Union Regulations 1998 - i need it by Friday for a thesis I am doing - the IRB can't help so if anyone has them please PM me asap - thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

have you tied contacting the IRFU?

This any use?
    http://www.rugbyfootballhistory.com/laws.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

dump take was legal wasnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Dave can you explain your number 5?

Amz wrote:
    Dave can you explain your number 5?

After the second take you have to wait until the defense is 10 metres away. You cant just keep tapping it quickly. I guess before you could keep doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

from a free kick/penalty...you could take as many quick taps as you like. Now you can only take one and if you manage to win another (eg running into a non retreating opposition player) you can't take it quickly until the other team are 10 yards.

Other things that spring to mind are:

lineouts within 5 yards of the tryline...i think.
    No lifting but "supporting" a lineout jumper was ok.
    kicking the ball thru the try area was only 22.
    Couldn't move/jump for a mark.

(I could be very wrong on the dates here but those were the rules i played in school (1990-1996))

the scrum could turn 90 degrees as many times as it liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

RuggieBear wrote:
    from a free kick/penalty...you could take as many quick taps as you like. Now you can only take one and if you manage to win another (eg running into a non retreating opposition player) you can't take it quickly until the other team are 10 yards.
    Ah, now I getcha, I've only been playing since 2003 so wouldn't have known most of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Amz like every player you have been playing all your life, they only taught you the rules in 2003 :)

In 1998 - The mark still has to be called with the toe up didnt it, also the quick throwin was added i think.. certain rules were cleaned up for the line out as well

This also might help

http://www.uidaho.edu/clubs/womens_rugby/RugbyRoot/rugby/Rules/LawBook/changes96.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 natashadoc

THanks for all the responses but I wasn't clear enough - I need the regulations not the rules - ie. pitch type, measurements of fences etc... Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

You could make a mark from kick off !

The regulations? Measurements of the pitch etc are part of the laws and not the regulations.

The regualtions refer to ownership of clubs, anti-doping, broadcasting etc. If the IRB can't help you I doubt anyone here can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Well from the link i posted there was changes to the ball spec

Law 2 - Ball

Amend Note (i) page 108 to read:

Note:- (i) The ball, at commencement of play, should have a pressure
    at sea level of 9 1/2 - 10 lbs. per square inch (0.67-0.70 kilograms
    per square centimeter).

There was also notes on the players garments etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Slightly OT, but if my memory serves me correctly, in the 1999 RWC if the final ended in a draw after extra time and both sides were level on points and tries scored throughout the tournament and there was basically nothing to seperate them the winner would be decided by flipping a coin :)

Now there's a penalty shootout....

Advertisement