Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into WoW

Options
  • 28-03-2007 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭

Howdy folks.

A few months ago, I bought World of Warcraft. I started as a Gnomish Warlock on the Jaedenar server. I played around for a while, got to about level 15 and, well, just found it a tad boring. I figured in the end it was the fact that I never really grouped or interacted with other people. I'm wondering maybe I was too low a level? Or on the wrong server? Or maybe the wrong class? Did I stay in the wrong areas?

I'm actually a long time EQ player and relatively short time EQ2 player so it might be that I just need time to adjust!

I'm buying the Burning Crusade today in an effort to get back into the game. Given that there's something like 8 million people playing the game, i'm assuming I must just be missing something!

What i'm looking for is some advice on;

What server to play?
    I'd be looking for a server with mostly Irish and English players; not because of some crazy racial phobias, but just for the sake of time zones and language barriers. Preferably a PvP server too

What class to play?
    I'd love a class that excels in groups and raids, but also is lots of fun to play and is fairly good at PvP. Perhaps I am asking for too much? I was thinking perhaps a mage, priest, rogue or maybe paladin? Though i'm not too set on anything.

How to play?
    I just don't really know what to do in the game. Where do I go to group? What UI mods should I download? What level do I start PvP at? What level do I start grouping at?

There's a good few questions there but hopefully someone can see where I'm coming from. I was absolutely fanatical about Everquest back in the day and I want to get stuck into an MMORPG like that again.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Hi,Im not the most experienced WoW player but I had the same problem just like yourself.

Since I started playing WoW only a few months ago I'm guessing more then half the population that were low level were peoples Alts.So even if you made friends the chances are they wouldn't be playing that character alot.I think i got about 5 characters up to 15 and kept getting bored due to lack of players(that I saw that were my level)

I finally saw a class that I liked which was a BE Paladin.The expansion only came out that day so alot of people were experimenting with the Be's.

Paladins can solo very good once you have the right gear etc.

PvP servers can be frustrating alot of time for myself because you can get killed at anytime.

Regards

Shano(Remember my frist line: Im not the most experienced WoW player)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Mkl

Play on outland, few foreigners but mostly english speaking folks.

As for class choice go with priest, ur needed for groups whilst levelling, and you always have the choice of speccing shadow and pvping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

What server to play?
    I don't have much experience on PvP servers I'm afraid, but if you're after a friendly english speaking Normal server then Hellfire is what I'd recommend. PvP can be quite off-putting in the earlier levels as contested areas can be annoying to get through.

What class to play?
    A class that excels in groups and raids, is fun to play and good at PvP... I'd recommend a Priest as Mkl said, shadow spec can wreak havoc in PvP and PvE, and healing is always in demand. Warlocks are immensely powerful and quite fun to play once you get past the early levels. Druids are probably the most versatile class, they can tank, rogue, heal etc, so they are valuble in PvE and fun to play too. Even though my main is a paladin, I would stay away from those because they're in limbo at the moment. Their dps isn't great but they can outheal a priest. Everyone is waiting to see how Blizzard moves on them.

How to play?
    Where do I go to group? The LFG or LFM menus, or in cities, pretty much anywhere you want!
    What UI mods should I download? I'd recommend you at least get Titan Panel.
    What level do I start PvP at? If you're on a PvP you've no choice there really. On a normal server you only PvP if you have your PvP set to on. You can enter battlefields at level 10 but it's best to wait to level 18/19.
    What level do I start grouping at? Whenever you feel the need to really. Most times the quest log will recommend a party size but you're free to do whatever you want with it. You shouldn't really need to group until around level 20-25, but there's nothing stopping you grouping before that.

Hope that helped :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

What server to play?
    I'd suggest you avoid the older Realms, like Bladefist. Try for a newer realm, like the 3 that started around the expansion (which i cant remember the name of). There will still be alot of lvl70's there by now (with crazy amounts of BE Pally's). Or try a realm with a few boardsies or friends on, to get some help in lower levels.

What class to play?
    I started the game with a Paladin. This was a while ago, and it was good fun to play, and they are far better now (they can actually kill things now). Warlock is also great fun, but everyone will hate you. Similar story with hunters. Just try a few, and see what you like.

What UI mods should I download?
    Titan Panel is, imo, the only necessary UI. Youll see more that you might need as you go along.

What level do I start PvP at?
    You can do Warsong from lvl10 on i think. Probably better off to wait till lvl19.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

WArrior Druid or Priest and you're never left wanting a group for anything :)

TRade channels aer ALWAYS spammed with LF Tank/Healer for xx instace :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Kiith wrote:
    What level do I start PvP at?
    You can do Warsong from lvl10 on i think. Probably better off to wait till lvl19.

For a twinked out ass-kicking?
    OctavarIan wrote:
    A class that excels in groups and raids, is fun to play and good at PvP... I'd recommend a Priest as Mkl said, shadow spec can wreak havoc in PvP and PvE, and healing is always in demand.

Although I have a Shadow priest, nothing in my current exsperiance says that we are good at Pvp anymore. Our defence scales terrible, our damage output is not really capable of good burst and relies on dispellable dots. The higher I go, the better I'm getting at PvE and the worse I'm getting at PvP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

I rolled there 2 nights ago first alliance character on kharzan new server, not alot of alliance actually it's meant to be 1:3 but transfer to the server is opening up round june so if you wanna jump on now and level, should be decent people there around the 70 mark, i've rolled hunter am level 23 now but tbh im kind "meh" about it... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

im a lvl 53 night e hunter on bladefist, stoped playing there before christmass, is dull repetitive and annoying. when u eventually get to the higher lvls the raids are pretty fun, but overall its the same **** again

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

im a lvl 53 night e hunter on bladefist, stoped playing there before christmass, is dull repetitive and annoying. when u eventually get to the higher lvls the raids are pretty fun, but overall its the same **** again

Your welcome to your opinion,personally im playing the game 2 years and love it as much today as 2 years ago.
    Maybe its because i have many different chars to experience the difference in gameplay between all classes.
    Have you tried something other than a hunter?

Unless your just referring to the Hunter class and not the game itself :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I grouped from Level 4 onwards on my most recent main (now 70! DING!).
    Grouping is the key to things really. You need to group to do most dungeons and bosses and it makes the game a LOT easier and more fun.

From 4 to 70 I was lucky enough to have a warrior mate to team my druid up with. He makes things hurt and I keep him alive. Thats the deal!
    He complains he does all the work but I can't count how many times I've saved his life! To be fair, he's saved mine more then once too and thats the benefit of it. Any one of those times either of us would be doing a corpse run but together its a case of... NEXT!!!!

Quests are a huge part of the game, an area with lots of quests at the right level for you makes everything go much better.
    Get a server that is at least medium pop as there is nothing as annoying as being one of 3 people in a zone. I used to avoid populated servers but you need at least SOME people your level or the game simple doesnt work well...

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Solo levelled to 60 because I felt like it, and wanted to slow it down to pvp a lot, but when TBC hit I did most levelling in a group.

It can be amazingly good fun if you find people you like to quest with, otherwise it can get quite boring.

I kinda find that since the expansion there's almost less to do as a solo player. Unless I'm in an instance run of one sort or another, I often find myself logging out simply for want of something to really do...

Arena's are a good idea, but they've killed the old BG's and really left them just useless. Not to mention almost empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Arena's are a good idea, but they've killed the old BG's and really left them just useless. Not to mention almost empty.

Can't say that this is the case on Lightbringer anyway.
    At the w/ends, the q was over an hour for EoTS. Queues for Alterac Valley were less than 5 mins but were pretty mich full. It'll allow me to get the grand marshall's decapitator quickly-even quicker if alliance could win once in awhile!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

PS: (yes I know I shouldnt start with a PS:... who are you? Mr Daly my old English Teacher??)

PPS: (If you are Mr Daly.... um, hi).

PPPS: Start with a druid as they are the most versatile. You can switch between Rogue (Cat), Tank (Bear) and Nuker (like me! Get crit gear and take balance). All of these come with a healthy (and I mean *healthy*) dose of healing ability. (My warrior mate is sickened at the soloing a dr00d can do.)

Work out which of these approaches is the most fun and most suited to you. With the druid you can switch and change with a simple re-talenting and some new gear. I've had /tells asking me to tank instances for groups. I couldnt tank a fly because I'm balance-resto-specced healer but obviously I *could* if others do!

DeV.

ps: why oh why wont Blizzard give us AOE blastwave with snare/DoT effect. Its soooo obviously missing from the Dr00d list of spells.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

/me points and laughs at the oomkin

Learn2resto dev :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The lazerchicken has a purpose. To make us all laugh when they hit /dance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

What's your character called? If i'm about i'll give you a hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Surion

DeVore wrote:

PPPS: Start with a druid as they are the most versatile. You can switch between Rogue (Cat), Tank (Bear) and Nuker (like me! Get crit gear and take balance). All of these come with a healthy (and I mean *healthy*) dose of healing ability. (My warrior mate is sickened at the soloing a dr00d can do.)

Work out which of these approaches is the most fun and most suited to you. With the druid you can switch and change with a simple re-talenting and some new gear. I've had /tells asking me to tank instances for groups. I couldnt tank a fly because I'm balance-resto-specced healer but obviously I *could* if others do!

DeV.

QUOTE]

Hi there, I'm surprised to hear this. I was on for 9 months and left around november cos my level 33 druid was MURDERED in 15 secs by a level 25 gnome humter. I was sickened. Despite reading many many many mails about this, I could never figure out how to spec my druid properly so I could do some real damage!!!

I would VERY much appreciate Dev's advice how to spec in a way that I can actually fight fairly.

ps...I don't understand your last sentance about not being able to tank a fly...is that cause at the time you were specced for heal/resto?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

I'm surprised to hear this. I was on for 9 months and left around november cos my level 33 druid was MURDERED in 15 secs by a level 25 gnome humter.

Druids got a huge buff

then a big Nerf.

but are still very decent...

From a warlocks perspetive they are harder to kill then my ex nemesis undead rogues... At least i have time to lolcoil and recover against a rogue, the 14K hp and big crits leaves me weaping into my keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭nicryan

dev's still resto spec...

Nic
    --monkair (70 troll mage- LS)

So Resto is the way to go then??? Anyone else experience with Druid spec?? Really interested to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Don't level with resto. Its the healing spec. You'll level easiest with feral. Just push down the tree to avoiding end game talents such as thick hide and shredding attacks. Plan sailing from 50 with mangle. Aim to be 0/41/10 at 60 and then you'll have omen of clarity at 61

Dataisgod wrote:
    Don't level with resto. Its the healing spec. You'll level easiest with feral. Just push down the tree to avoiding end game talents such as thick hide and shredding attacks. Plan sailing from 50 with mangle. Aim to be 0/41/10 at 60 and then you'll have omen of clarity at 61

Thanks for that!! Will respec along those lines...do you have a link to your spec that I could check out? do you find it easy to play?

Advertisement