Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lathe wanted

Options
  • 28-03-2007 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

a member of the ireland woodturners group has asked me to look for a good second hand lathe - preferably with chuck and tools - £200 to spend - if anyone can help - reply here or through the irelandwoodturners group
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/irelandwoodturners/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭boysie39

geoff, just as a matter of intrest what should one expect to get for 200/300 euro.I've been kicking around whether to try turning as the old health does not allow me to get around as much as i'd like to.I'm trying to get to a demo somewhere to find out whats involved.I dont know if there is anyone around my area which is Myshall Co. carlow involved if there is I'd be delighted to hear from them.ALL INFO GREATFULLY RECIEVED. BOYSIE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 geofftulip

you used to be able to get nothing for £200 but axminster do a range of lathe called perform - you can check them out on their website - i have never used one myself but know plenty of people who do and love them - the spec you get with them - varaible speed etc you would expect to pay big money for but £199 i think is what they go for..... apart from that record/fox/jet/ an others do something similar but when ordering from axminster you get their good cutomer realtions - which may beat a used lathe that may give trouble - have a look for yourself i would be keen to hear of a better deal.....
    as for turners in acrlow check out the ireland woodturners guils site for a local chapter of turners or if you dont want the group thing feel free to call up to our place anytime - give you an idea of what you might need etc - county down - but if your out for a run you could kill 2 birds ......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Recently I saw the Draper lathe selling for €100 in Mcqillans in blanch.Couldn't believe it. I paid 200 punts a good few years ago for one. A very basic maual speed lathe, great for learning on with not too much expense.Not suitable for turning big bits off the bed, just not enough power but for spindle work up about 36 inches it's grand. My only real complaint about it (apart from the power) is the low quality quick realease bolts on it. I managed within a week of getting it to ring the rest/head and tail bolts and have had to use vice grips ever since.€100 in anyones money is a bargain though.

Advertisement