Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Forced Laser

Options
  • 28-03-2007 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone else get a letter saying that your banklink card is being stopped in May and HAS to be replaced by a dual laser and ATM card. Seemed from the letter that there is no choice in the matter. Always sceptical about laser cards after a mate had money taken from his and had awful trouble getting recourse on it.
    Lastly, free banking, does the use of a debit card have to be in a shop or does an ATM transaction count?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

i got this also, it looks like a clever cost-saving and profit-increasing move by AIB at the same time:
    - consumers who had a current account card and a Laser card before can now have only 1 saving them on costs
    - consumers who only had a current account before are now more likely Laser card users thus paying the fees associated with Laser cards on transactions

beware though:
    if you use this new card both as an ATM card to withdraw funds and as a Laser card to shop with then the Government will in fact charge you twice at the end of year - 10 Euro tax on the current account usage (ATM withdrawals) and 10 Euro tax on the Laser card usage (shopping payments).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭lassykk

Wouldn't be overly concerned about this. Its handy to have a debit card in case you ever need it/don't have a credit card and if you don't use it you don't get charged the extra €10 over the €10 fee for the ATM card that you already pay.

Credit card costs me €40 off them every yr anyway so i won't be using my new card as a debit card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The one bad aspect to this is that your bank account is now open to all if your wallet goes missing and you don't notice it for a while. Previously your ATM card was useless to someone, now they can take the money over the counter in Dunnes or whatever.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

ciaranfo wrote:
    The one bad aspect to this is that your bank account is now open to all if your wallet goes missing and you don't notice it for a while. Previously your ATM card was useless to someone, now they can take the money over the counter in Dunnes or whatever.

That's where chip and pin comes in - if Dunnes let someone sign for it and it's not you then they're liable.

Dunnes was just an example. There's places where you can sign for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

ciaranfo wrote:
    Dunnes was just an example. There's places where you can sign for it.

not any more there isn't.

http://www.chipandpin.ie/
    "PIN Bypass Removal or 'PIN Day' will take place on 17th March 2007."

Basically, if your card has a chip on it, then you have to use it.

L.

nereid wrote:

L.
    If the shop doesn't have chip and pin though? Or if they still do manual reciepts. Or if it's over the phone. Or if or if or if.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

nereid wrote:

L.

Not in the Esso station by the N11 at Kilmacanogue this evening. I filled up the car and had to sign.
    Maybe their pin inputter thing was broken and in that case a signature is permitted?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Longfield wrote:
    Not in the Esso station by the N11 at Kilmacanogue this evening. I filled up the car and had to sign.
    Maybe their pin inputter thing was broken and in that case a signature is permitted?

No, they can do what they want, but as said earlier, they take the hit of any fraud.

The AIB card is chip and pin, so it should be used where available. if it isn't available by the retailer, as of 17 March, they should have it, but if they don't then it is tough on them I believe.

L.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

naitkris wrote:
    i got this also, it looks like a clever cost-saving and profit-increasing move by AIB at the same time:
    - consumers who had a current account card and a Laser card before can now have only 1 saving them on costs
    - consumers who only had a current account before are now more likely Laser card users thus paying the fees associated with Laser cards on transactions

and at the same time getting free banking.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Was in lidl today and had to sign when I used my Laser card. (didn't see any chip n pin machines)

Just a queston on the dual ATM and Laser cards. Has it been confirmed by AIB that if you don't use your card as a debit card, then you don't have to pay the Debit Card tax?

Was in lidl today and had to sign when I used my Laser card. (didn't see any chip n pin machines)

Just a queston on the dual ATM and Laser cards. Has it been confirmed by AIB that if you don't use your card as a debit card, then you don't have to pay the Debit Card tax?

You do have to pay it. And it is nothing to do with AIB. You pay the €10ATM + €10Laser card tax to the government.

If you don't want the combined one, then get a ATM only. Since AIB probably dont want this, you might have to either pay the €10 extra or switch banks.

PTSB I know offer an ATM only card and free banking with no stupid T&Cs like must use the laser card and internet banking once per quarter to qualify for it.

L.

@nereid
    I think the point is that it does have something to do with AIB. Previously he had an ATM card which he paid 10 euro per year on. Now they've forced him to take a combined ATM/Laser which carrys a 20 euro per year charge as it's 2 cards combined in one.
    Therefore AIB are forcing him to pay more. (who cares where it's going .. )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

nereid wrote:

L.

B&Q Tallaght - not chip n pin!

nipplenuts wrote:
    B&Q Tallaght - not chip n pin!

At what point are you people going to realise, that what I said was
    nereid wrote:
    as of 17 March, they should have it, but if they don't then it is tough on them I believe.

I come across this still, but I don't care, because if my card gets stolen, any shop that accepts the signature (because my card is chip and pin) has to pay me back (or rather the bank does not allow them to withdraw it from my account).

Oh, and I also have a PTSB laser card which is not chip and pin so I have to sign.

And, regarding AIB, my comments still stand, the charge is nothing to do with AIB.

They are merely withdrawing a costly (read non profit making) product, and replacing it with a more lucrative (to themselves and shareholders) one.

The actual extra cost of the card goes directly to the government.

Any complaints, simply switch banks. It's a free market, and if you are so het up about a €10 government charge then move.

I mean, what is being complained about here is similar to o2 removing the €15 bill option and replacing it with a €20 one. It makes sense to o2, change some T&C's, offer something slightly different, charge a little more, and sure, most people will still buy it.
    Of course there will be a few who won't like it, but we will make up for their loss with everyone else that we retain.

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

ciaranfo wrote:
    @nereid
    I think the point is that it does have something to do with AIB. Previously he had an ATM card which he paid 10 euro per year on. Now they've forced him to take a combined ATM/Laser which carrys a 20 euro per year charge as it's 2 cards combined in one.
    Therefore AIB are forcing him to pay more. (who cares where it's going .. )

But surely if he continues to use his card for ATM purposes only and not for laser transactions then he will only have to pay €10 stamp duty?

But surely if he continues to use his card for ATM purposes only and not for laser transactions then he will only have to pay €10 stamp duty?

I don't use the camera on my phone, but I still had to pay the full price for it.

I don't use the "Frontpage" section in MS Office, but I paid for the full package.

I didn't have to use a hospital last year, but I still paid VHI.

I don't recieve Childrens Allowance but I still pay my taxes....

You get where this is going don't you?

It is a feature of the card/"service" being supplied by AIB. You either avail of the service (and pay the price) or you don't, and go elsewhere.

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

The literature from AIB seems to suggest that the card is only one you can get but only get charged stamp duty relative to what you actually use it for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

TheDriver wrote:
    only get charged stamp duty relative to what you actually use it for

well if you use it all the time for withdrawing from an ATM you pay the 10 Euro (as currently is the case with regular AIB ATM cards) - fair of course. but if you use it just once in an entire year to pay for 10 Euro worth of groceries then you get charged another 10 Euro stamp duty for the Laser tax on top of the previous 10 Euro for the ATM use. 20 Euro for 10 Euro worth of groceries is not nice.

in a better scenario there should really be a limit, say 2 or 3 uses with no tax (or paid by AIB), and subsequent uses you must then pay the tax yourself. otherwise combining the cards is a no-brainer for everyone involved.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

As regards the signage thing, yes, the store can still allow you to sign but it's their choice and their loss if you're dodgy... I signed for something the other day because my AIB Laser card doesn't seem to read in certain machines - apparently there was a problem with a batch of them where the chip was too close to the raised digits and it doesn't sit in some machines properly - in that instance the shop decided to take the chance rather than just refuse me, which they would have been obliged to do.

And on the tax thing, my understanding is if you just use it as an ATM you only get the €10 tax for ATM cards, if you just use it for purchases you get the €10 debit card tax - if you use it for both you get taxed twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

nereid wrote:
    I don't use the camera on my phone, but I still had to pay the full price for it.

I don't use the "Frontpage" section in MS Office, but I paid for the full package.

I didn't have to use a hospital last year, but I still paid VHI.

I don't recieve Childrens Allowance but I still pay my taxes....

You get where this is going don't you?

It is a feature of the card/"service" being supplied by AIB. You either avail of the service (and pay the price) or you don't, and go elsewhere.

L.
    Well the €10 is a government tax and not something charged by AIB for the service they're providing so you're comparisons aren't wholly valid.

As far as I can remember if you can show you didn't use the ATM card in the previous year (as that is what it is charged on) then you can have the 10e refunded e.g some customers would have a ATM card and then an ATM/Laser Card and have only used the latter in the last year. In that case they can have 10e refunded.

Advertisement