Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curraghchase House

Options
  • 28-03-2007 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

does anyone know whether there is any paranormal activity connected with this place?

I have visited the Forest Park and seen the house and somewhat embarrassed to say that our inquisitive nature forced us to hop over the wall to have a look around.....:o

although the place is obviously derelict there is a certain atmosphere there, especially the steps down the the wrought iron gates that would lead to the lower levels / cellar.

be interested to hear of anyone who has been there

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭matt cork

apologies but no photo's, didn't know the house or indeed the park existed, just happened to chance upon it.

i've done a google and found this

http://www.limerickdioceseheritage.org/Kilcornan/sitesKilcornan.htm#Curraghchasehouse

sorry but thats all i have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 nudge

Used to go there as a child quite a bit. Been a good few years since I was there so don't remember a whole lot about it other than there is not much of it left.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭SoCo2009

Is it pretty safe to pop in there ya? No heads or anything??

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

There are no local legends for the house or park. The only place close (ish) to there that has had a few tales told about it is the ruins of Shanid Castle near Shanagolden.

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    There are no local legends for the house or park. The only place close (ish) to there that has had a few tales told about it is the ruins of Shanid Castle near Shanagolden.

Can i ask what directions you would take going out from the city so? :)

SoCo2009 wrote: »
    Can i ask what directions you would take going out from the city so? :)

Head out the R69 towards Foynes. About two miles before Foynes there is a turn off to the left with a sign for Shanagolden/Newcastle West. Continue along this road and drive past the village of Shanagolden and continue along the Newcastle West Road.

About two to three miles outside of Shanagolden you will reach a cross called Jobber's Cross, if you look to the hills on your right at this point you will see the ruins of Shanid castle.

It is not a tourist spot, just the ruins of the castle. There is also the ruins of another castle/church near where you would turn off of the Foynes road at a place called Robertstown (The yellow church before the turn off is Robertstown church) and in the ruins in that area is meant to be the other end of the tunnel that was said to go between there and Shanid castle. The story is that some people were trying to escape along the tunnel hundreds of years ago and were blocked up inside it and left to die. The wives/children are meant to be heard on winter nights calling for their men.

The legend could easily be put down to wind as the tunnel at the Robertstown end is right on the Shannon estuary and is quite an open spot, that is windy at the best of times, so I could imagine many noises carrying on the wind from the nearby towns and even across the estuary from Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭feelio

Head out the R69 towards Foynes. About two miles before Foynes there is a turn off to the left with a sign for Shanagolden/Newcastle West. Continue along this road and drive past the village of Shanagolden and continue along the Newcastle West Road.

About two to three miles outside of Shanagolden you will reach a cross called Jobber's Cross, if you look to the hills on your right at this point you will see the ruins of Shanid castle.

It is not a tourist spot, just the ruins of the castle. There is also the ruins of another castle/church near where you would turn off of the Foynes road at a place called Robertstown (The yellow church before the turn off is Robertstown church) and in the ruins in that area is meant to be the other end of the tunnel that was said to go between there and Shanid castle. The story is that some people were trying to escape along the tunnel hundreds of years ago and were blocked up inside it and left to die. The wives/children are meant to be heard on winter nights calling for their men.

The legend could easily be put down to wind as the tunnel at the Robertstown end is right on the Shannon estuary and is quite an open spot, that is windy at the best of times, so I could imagine many noises carrying on the wind from the nearby towns and even across the estuary from Clare.

Interesting :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ghost Girl

Yes, is supposed to be haunted. It burned down in a fire. I spoke to a relative of the people who lived there. They told me about hauntings. Locals will tell you its haunted.

cheers for that Kess ;)

Sounds really interesting so I must get out there before the summer is out! I'll let ye know how it goes haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

whats the story in the summer do the get a break from the oul hauntin stuff, if so do u know where they go or what they do .

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭daithi_lacha

there are plenty of local 'ghost' stories surrounding curraghchase house. The house burnt down on christmas eve 1941. I've heard 2 different stories, one in which a young girl is walking through the house late at night carrying a candle, tripped and banged her head, and the candle set the house on fire. Another story is that the husband was a bit mad, and used to beat the wife and children. one night he was very drunk, and to protect the children the wife locked them in the basement. He then demanded her to tell him where they were, and set her hair on fire, resulting in the place burning down. I was told that the children survived the fire, but they were locked in the basement and noone knew they were there, and died after some time.

Someone told me that the basement of the house is still very much intact as it wasnt damaged by fire. Again, I don't know how true this is.

I don't think any of the stories are true, but I know plenty of people who have camped there and would never go there again due to paranormal activity. I've personally had no problem with the other place, stayed there this weekend, nothing bothered me only a couple of hundred howling dogs early in the morning (a pound nearby), and some very strange neighbours in a camper van!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bellamaya

matt cork wrote: »
    does anyone know whether there is any paranormal activity connected with this place?

I have visited the Forest Park and seen the house and somewhat embarrassed to say that our inquisitive nature forced us to hop over the wall to have a look around.....:o

although the place is obviously derelict there is a certain atmosphere there, especially the steps down the the wrought iron gates that would lead to the lower levels / cellar.

be interested to hear of anyone who has been there
    Hi Matt I love curraghchase house and yes I agree there is paranormal activity within the building. I visited once with my son who was 2 at the time-he experienced a really bad feeling inside the walls of the house, we heard a humming noise (quite loud) he was petrified and kept asking me to leave saying not nice, not nice, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up, I felt a really negative presence there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

I have a photo from there, I'll put it up and tell me what you think. About 5mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bellamaya

Doom wrote: »
    I have a photo from there, I'll put it up and tell me what you think. About 5mins
    Great thanks:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

ok, this was taken in dec 2002, only thing done to photo is cover our faces, look in the background......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

wasnt there a whole thread on that photo before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Curragh Chase House is supposedly haunted, however I wouldn't take heed if it; it's more the kind of typical rumour that spreads by somebody looking at a derelict house and saying 'oh, it must be haunted', than any genuine tale or lore.

ok, this was taken in dec 2002, only thing done to photo is cover our faces, look in the background......

What's freaky about that pic is your blurred face looks very like someone I knew who is originally from Killarney.

He has a young daughter as well and used to bring her to Currachase now and then.

I might add that for those who mentioned they were researching the proper name of the building is the DeVeer House.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

What are we actually supposed to be seeing in that photo ? being going to curragh chase since i was small nd never heard of anything weird there

Background centre there looks like a lady in a maid outfit or something. Just some further clarifications as well for people looking at this photo as I researched the De Vere site quite a bit; the house itself is not the sight of the hauntings but rather the lake on front of the house and indeed it is a lady that is meant to haunt the lake. I'm going to be looking into this further as there seems to be more substance to this tale than I originally had assumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

I remember going on a treasure hunt there years ago with school or a youth club or something and one of the things we had to find was hidden by the small entrance to the back of the house on the left hand side of the building (if I'm remembering correctly, was a few years ago now) anyway what ever it was we were ment to be looking for there we couldn't find it! Before we left the teacher went to get it since no one found it but it was gone! I remember that bit so clearly!

But the stories I've heard of the house are that in the top left hand window you can see the image off a woman, supposedly the room she died in! and it has been reported that she disapprears over to the monument accross from the house then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

You see, i was trying to think it could be those black beg bins you get or just rubbish in general. The signs of paradolia but you would know better than me, was there rubbish in that direction?

alan1990 wrote: »
    But the stories I've heard of the house are that in the top left hand window you can see the image off a woman, supposedly the room she died in! and it has been reported that she disapprears over to the monument accross from the house then!

All the windows have been boarded up for at least the last decade so that's definitely not true.

GodlessM wrote: »
    All the windows have been boarded up for at least the last decade so that's definitely not true.

I know that, maybe I phrased it wrong! The reports are of the ghost of a woman seen at the top left hand window (where the window would have been :p)

Also some nice photos of what seems to be inside the house and garden!
    http://www.nobodyhome.ie/40cc/curraghchasehouse.html

alan1990 wrote: »
    I know that, maybe I phrased it wrong! The reports are of the ghost of a woman seen at the top left hand window (where the window would have been :p)

Also some nice photos of what seems to be inside the house and garden!
    http://www.nobodyhome.ie/40cc/curraghchasehouse.html

Great snaps.

I get what you mean about the window. Still, through all the research I've done n the place so far, every local story and legend points to the lake and not the house for the hauntings. Also despite popular belief, no one was killed in the 1941 fire.

GodlessM wrote: »
    Great snaps.

I get what you mean about the window. Still, through all the research I've done n the place so far, every local story and legend points to the lake and not the house for the hauntings. Also despite popular belief, no one was killed in the 1941 fire.

Do you know was the house occupied full time up until the time of the fire? Its only 60 years ago, I wonder would some of the family be still alive who would have been kids at the time...

Now I know what to do next in my research :)

Not sure after the De Veres left it in the early 1900's if it was attended but I think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Ray Ray

PicturesOf Curraghchase House June 2010:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement