Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preferred editor

Options
  • 28-03-2007 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭

So, what do you use, and why?

I'm a Vim fan myself, its less messy and very effective although I commonly forget to hit esc before typing commands...
    :wq

Which text editor? 35 votes

emacs
    0% 0 votes
    vi(m)
    2% 1 vote
    nano, joe, anything else?
    80% 28 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    17% 6 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭because_I_can

vim - f00king love it. in fact i use it to replace a lot of my perl scripts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Editplus myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

vi(m) when i'm on *nix.
    textpad when in windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

editplus here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Use Jcreator for java, love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Editplus ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

OMFG....

This thread made me go check www.textpad.com (cause Textpad is my editor of choice) and I see that after almost 3 years....

THEY'VE RELEASED V5.0!!!!!!!

Haven't tried it yet, but this is like Christmas :)

ETA:

Having checked the textpad forums, I'm not sure I'll try 5.0. It sounds to be buggy as hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭markf909

I love vi, takes a little getting used to but so powerful.

From next week on, im stuck using Visual Studio :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

bonkey wrote:
    OMFG....

This thread made me go check www.textpad.com (cause Textpad is my editor of choice) and I see that after almost 3 years....

THEY'VE RELEASED V5.0!!!!!!!

Haven't tried it yet, but this is like Christmas :)

ETA:

Having checked the textpad forums, I'm not sure I'll try 5.0. It sounds to be buggy as hell.

Which as inspired me to check out editplus, and yes 2.31 has been released after god knows how long.

<edit>
    It's a bug patch release. But 2.30 has new features.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

Well I'll bite. What is it that makes vi so powerful? I've tried using it, but just found it too frustrating and counter-intuitive. Besides the "look at me and my leet text editing skills with this 30-year old program" factor, what makes it so great? There must be something, because it's obviously very popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

vim ftw. If I'm in windows I'll use gvim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

It depends what box i'm using, and what i'm doing with it.

My server is running OpenBSD, so i'm quite happy sticking with vi on it.

I tend to use emacs when developing on Linux though, pretty much becuase I became used to it and am far quicker at it now than with any other editor.

[edit] heh, looks like i'm the only emacs head so far anyways :)

If I ever end up using a GUI based one though, its usually kate. Its syntax highlighting kicks ass.

[edit at satchmo] The big advantage with emacs/vi(m) is the fact that everything can be done through the keyboard. Once you are used to the controls, you will find that you can do everything far far quicker because you aren't using the mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Vim and Scite.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I quite like editplus, dog handy for a lot of languages...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Vim, obviously.

And isn't the comedy 'Atari Jaguar' option already fulfilled by Emacs? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

when on windows you cant really go too far past pspad it is one of the many editors that i have tried for a while and free also

when working on *nix i always use VI(m)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

vim, eclipse and notepad++

vim > * though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I mostly code java so Eclipse ftw. Started a new project a few months ago and the client's dev environment consisted of Visual Age for Java :eek:

None of the nice features of Eclipse like WST, quickfix, organise imports, call hierarchy etc. Quickly got rid of it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Kate's OK but the built-in terminal behaviour is a bit counterintuitive, I often find myself CTRL-S-ing in the terminal and typing in the main area when I mean to be typing in the terminal. Auto-indent would be a nice too..

• Advertisement

Kate actually has auto indent built in. Its buried in the configuration options somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Stugots

CodeWright
    Extremely configurable - even emulates vi if you really want to (I don't!!)

Also can be configured to tie in with command line compilers, make files, version control systems.

Has a nice macro record/palyback facility, language chromacoding (also configurable), parenthesis matching, binary view, spell checker, file diff

I could go on and on....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,243 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

"Crimson Editor" for pretty much everything, it has syntax / keyword colouring for a load of files.
    satchmo wrote:
    Well I'll bite. What is it that makes vi so powerful? I've tried using it, but just found it too frustrating and counter-intuitive. Besides the "look at me and my leet text editing skills with this 30-year old program" factor, what makes it so great? There must be something, because it's obviously very popular.

Don't particularly like vi either - where possible I use Crimson Editor to edit the file in real time through FTP. A lot of the people in work just seem to use it to show off that they don't need a mouse.

eoin_s wrote:
    Don't particularly like vi either - where possible I use Crimson Editor to edit the file in real time through FTP. A lot of the people in work just seem to use it to show off that they don't need a mouse.
    Its nothing to do with showing off that you don't need one, and a hell of a lot more to do with the fact that its quicker without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

im vi - just got into it in my last job. actually used a graphical version gvim. very good.

in my new job now and they seem to like emacs a lot in here. had to get them to install vim - because i wanted to put on syntax highlighing and colors etc(not available in vi)

but i cant seem to do in in vim either. anybody got any tips? using freebsd and vim7

just dont like emacs.

eoin_s wrote:
    A lot of the people in work just seem to use it to show off that they don't need a mouse.

Any editor which requires the use of a mouse has been badly designed.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Stugots

bonkey wrote:
    Any editor which requires the use of a mouse has been badly designed.

Can't say that I know any editor that requires the use of a mouse, but many make full use the generally accepted user friendliness of the mouse as an alternative interface to assist those who don't know or don't wish to learn all the non-standard, editor specific keystrokes necessary to perform the most basic funcitons.

Of course vi can do anything - if you know the keystrokes. Unfortunately if you don't, good luck - lots of manpages to read before you know enough to ask a basic question in a newsgroup without getting flamed. But thats the whole point of vi and command line driven Unix, right - no casual users, just experts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Vi(m) on *nix [and sometimes Kate], and Crimson Editor on windows.
    i do love Crimson Editor though, i use it for everything except windows/directX coding.

Stugots wrote:
    Can't say that I know any editor that requires the use of a mouse

Nor do I, but the implication of this is that I can't think of a reason why I'd want to use vi in order to show off that I don't need a mouse.

Never touching my mouse whilst hacking away on code (or whatever) is what "shows off" that I don't need a mouse.
    , but many make full use the generally accepted user friendliness of the mouse as an alternative interface to assist those who don't know or don't wish to learn all the non-standard, editor specific keystrokes necessary to perform the most basic funcitons.
    Agreed. I see nothing wrong with using a mouse. I was responding more to eoin_s comment which was that vi users are somehow just using it to show off.

Sounds more to me like he's either jealous or an emacs user ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,243 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

bonkey wrote:
    Sounds more to me like he's either jealous or an emacs user ;)

Neither jealous or an emacs user - my comment was "A lot of the people in work".

I still think there is this kind of technical snobbery from a lot of *nix users towards anyone who thinks a mouse is a handy device.

Maybe we're talking about different things, but I don't see the benefits of SSHing into a server to use vi, when I can use an editor that can access the files in realtime, has syntax colouring and all the standard shortcuts & key commands etc that my other dev packages have.

Advertisement