Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonsilla to Deansgrange Public Transport Options?

Options
  • 27-03-2007 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭

I don't really see any viable public transport option to get to me to my new job in Deansgrange for 9a.m. in the morning. Before I move out of home though I would like to see if anybody has any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

It seems a long distance to travel across Dublin, I'd move out. It's hard to imagine being on time too often, relying on multiple busses during rush hour in this disaster city. Sorry I don't have any more useful advice. Maybe some of the real Dubs might know.

I'm starting a new job in Ballybrack at 10am in the morning. I live right on the N11 beside Jury's Montrose, so I thought it would be easy to get to. But I had a quick look at the Dublin Bus website, and there was nothing really suitable. If anyone can advise me too, that'd be great (sorry for highjacking your thread, Fletch!).

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Enigma365

Train to Connolly and then walk to O Connell street to get 46a.

OR

Train to Dun Laoghaire via Connolly/Pearse and then 46a

I'm thinking second option would be better. Maybe an hour journey if you are lucky.

Just checked Irish Rail and Dublin Bus website. Assuming you have to be in for 9, you could do the second option comfortably by getting the 7.15am train from Clonsilla(bus would reach deasgrange around 8.30).

You could do it a lot less comfortably by getting the 7.37am train(would reach deansgrange around 9.05).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

Would be better off on train to Blackrock and then 45 from Blackrock much more direct route, 46A goes all over the shop

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

MarkoP11 wrote:
    Would be better off on train to Blackrock and then 45 from Blackrock much more direct route, 46A goes all over the shop

I would not recommend trying to second-guess the 45 from Blackrock - given that it operates only every 20-25minutes outbound in the morning peak!!!!

Options are:
    1) 0715 train to Tara Street (arr. 0743); 0748 (timed ex-Mountjoy Sq) 46A from D'Olier Street (at about 0755) - should be at Deans Grange for 0840 (straight run along the QBC except for Stillorgan Village).

2) 0715 train to Pearse (arr. 0746); 0750 DART to Dun Laoghaire (arr 0819); 0820/0828 46A to Deans Grange (arr. appx. 0845)

3) 0715 train to Tara Street (arr. 0743); 0800 45 from Eden Quay - should be in Deans Grange for 0840/0845

I wouldn't risk the 0737 train - it would be far too tight.

Hope this helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

rediguana wrote:
    I'm starting a new job in Ballybrack at 10am in the morning. I live right on the N11 beside Jury's Montrose, so I thought it would be easy to get to. But I had a quick look at the Dublin Bus website, and there was nothing really suitable. If anyone can advise me too, that'd be great (sorry for highjacking your thread, Fletch!).

I suppose it depends upon exactly where in Ballybrack that you need to go to!

The high frequency 145 and 84 both operate along the N11, and both will drop you at the Wyattville Road/N11 junction by Cherrywood, as will the 46C which is less frequent.

There is (oddly enough) also a bus in the 7 timetable (don't ask why) that takes the 145 routing direct along the QBC to Cherrywood at 0735 from O'Connell Street.

All of these leave you about 10/15 minutes walk from Ballybrack village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

KC61 wrote:
    I suppose it depends upon exactly where in Ballybrack that you need to go to!

The high frequency 145 and 84 both operate along the N11, and both will drop you at the Wyattville Road/N11 junction by Cherrywood, as will the 46C which is less frequent.

There is (oddly enough) also a bus in the 7 timetable (don't ask why) that takes the 145 routing direct along the QBC to Cherrywood at 0735 from O'Connell Street.

All of these leave you about 10/15 minutes walk from Ballybrack village.

Cheers. I'm actually going to chnce the DART this morning. I'm about 12mins from a stop and I can get off in Killiney then and walk (prob about 15mins). The DART is surely more reliable than the bus. I'll look into those busses too, maybe try them all over the next few days, see which is best. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭fletch

Hey KC61, thanks for the suggestions. However it's looking like moving out is my only option. Each of your ideas is 1hr 40mins but that's the best case scenario. I did Clonsilla - Sandyford for 6months a few years back (15min walk - train - dart - bus) and all I can say is thank god for flexi-time. All it takes is one link to go wrong and your commuting time snowballs.
    Getting a bus is not really an option either as they are filthy, overcrowded and too slow/unreliable/effected by traffic for my liking.
    :( Now to start looking at places to rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

OP - fletch is right - dont listen to enigma365 (one hour!), what planet are they on. The amount of things that can go wrong and it always happens that the bus you hope to connect with is early when you are on time and on time when you are late due to waiting in Drumcondra for 10 mins while the darts are on the platforms etc. If the 46A stops very close to your exact workplace, it is probably the best option as it is very regular and has a corridor that works. But this will be the morning 10-20 mins to the station 10- min for ticket and wait for train, 30 mins into town 10 min walk 10 mins wait 30 -40 on the bus, 10 mins walk after, and that is without problems, so upto 2hrs each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭fletch

Yeh dodgyme that sounds a bit more realistic. It's a pretty sad state of affairs and a reflection of the poor integration of public transport systems in the city that I am working and living in Dublin yet if I choose to use the options available to me, I stand to spend 4hrs+ a day commuting.

• Advertisement

Yeah, no way you could do it in an hour. Hour and a half much more realistic.

Advertisement