Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop as server

Options
  • 27-03-2007 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭

hi

im using a banjaxed laptop(screen and keyboard) as a server .
    is there any problems with this? like heat etc so far it seems fine

and is it a bad thing that im using a wireless connection for hosting rather than wireless?

thanks
    sean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,156 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

well should be more power efficient than your average server

wireless will be a bit slower than wired, but shouldn't be a problem

i don't see any problem with it, seems like a good use for a broken laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Microsoft's desktop OS solutions seem to limit simultaneous connections to 10. But if that won't be a problem in your case, I can't why not to use a laptop.

Just a thought: maybe using an external HDD could reduce the heat in the laptop, with its internal HDD being less active, and prolong stability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

ethernet wrote:
    Microsoft's desktop OS solutions seem to limit simultaneous connections to 10. But if that won't be a problem in your case, I can't why not to use a laptop.
    ah well now id hardly use a desktop OS :rolleyes:

anyway you can see it in action at http://weeder.no-ip.org/phpsysinfo/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

weeder wrote:

yet you're using php in windows :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

lol pwnt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

weeder wrote:
    hi

im using a banjaxed laptop(screen and keyboard) as a server .
    is there any problems with this? like heat etc so far it seems fine

and is it a bad thing that im using a wireless connection for hosting rather than wireless?

I am using my laptop as a type of server - it's my HTPC. I have it sitting on a vegtable rack :D, with all the gadgets connected into it via USB. It ain't pretty, but I can stream Divx and mp3's from it over the 802.11b connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

weeder wrote:

I like that page -- nice PHP application I didn't know about. Cheers for the link. Windows Server 2003 -- overkill or what for a home server!

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

roflol!

Nothing wrong with Windows Server 2003, its 2000 server you got to whach out for ;)

Great use for a laptop really.

Advertisement