Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

64 Bit processors

Options
  • 27-03-2007 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying this laptop - its the HP Pavilion dv6231EU, its going in Harvey Norman for 799 which seems like a good price.

Specs:
    AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-50
    1 gig ram
    80 gig hard drive SATA 5400rpm
    dvd burner
    15.4 inch screen
    Up to 128 MB shared video memory

Lots of people seem to reccomend HP laptops in general. I'm wondering about the processor though - is there any disadvantage to a 64 bit processor in Windows?

Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Hi Hooplah,

To be honest theres alot of people who run AMD Athlon 64 desktops with a 32bit version of windows, i suppose the chips are more optimised for 64bit but do give you alot of grunt in 32bit os's.

My aul one has a simular spec hp laptop to what yoru getting there, it flys along. I work in hps (division of hp) and i find the public laptops to be great, i had a zv5000 series before and never had a problem with it. The HP laptop of the past 2 / 3 years are getting better; Alot of the older Business laptops like nc4000 or 6000 do chew hard drives on a regular basis and run like muddy watter but they have been replaced by alot better models.

I personally would go for one. But im sure a few people will back me up on the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

Thanks for the info - I get confused by this type of thing. Reckon I'll go for it.

Cheers

Advertisement