Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would like to get most from this forum (& request for contributions)?

Options
  • 26-03-2007 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

It's pretty clear what a forum about songwriting is going to encompass and the charter lays out the basics. But please chime in with any requests for what you'd like to see this place offer you.

One good thing would be a resources thread. We started one a while back in the recording forum and it's great. For the resources I'd like to get loads of links so please reply to this thread with any contributions and links. So get out there, hit google and come back and share!!

One thing I was thinking was to have some guidelines in relation to posting your work for critiques. If you want to post a song for others to give feedback on, please take the time to the same for others. No hit and runs please! A place to get feedback is great but if there ends up being too many of those kind of threads we might have to sticky them into one. We'll see how it develops I guess. What does everyone else think of this? Any other thoughts, comments or sugestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 SolMate

A lot of the bigger songwriting boards distinguish between lyric criticism and audio/MP3 where the crits often focus (rather too mich IMO) on production values.

The main thing to get going though you've already touched on...it's a good idea to try to give three or four pieces of feedback for every one piece of your own that you post up.

Critiques should also be qualitative as much as possible. 'Great job' or ' Not my cup of tea' are not critiques...a little effort in saying what it is you think is good or bad about a song makes for a critique that might be of some use to the songwriter. Okay sometimes we may just want to say well done without having anything more in particular to say...that's fair enough so long as wherever possible we make that effort to go a bit deeper.

Just a few thoughts!

Gerry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

I think gerry raised a valid point. If you start running an MP3 clinic, you run the risk of complicating things; a good song that is recorded badly mightn't sound like much etc etc. But then you have a bit of a dilemma, because lyrics can be posted no problem but without a melody is it even a song?

What I'd be coming for here is inspiration, trading ideas on current songwriters people like, maybe some basic music theory and perhaps something on arranging.

Advertisement