Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Required: Is my Laptop Buggered?

Options
  • 26-03-2007 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I was looking for your advice. Somehow wine managed to spill onto the keyboard of my Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop the other night.

I towel dried it immediately and got the majority of the liquid off. But it wouldn't turn on. So I then left it out to dry over night hoping that it might dry off and start working in the morning.

It didn't, so I took off the keyboard, etc. to see if it looked like Wine had got onto the circuits etc. and TBH, it didn't look like it did. I wiped it down again and left it in pieces to let it dry for another night. I then reconnected everything this evening hoping it would work, but no :(

So my question is, is my Laptop ruined, when I plug it in and press the Power button, the Caps Lock, Num Lock etc. light up and then go off again, other than that there's no life in it at all. Any advice will be greatly appreciated, I need a Laptop and so I just want to know if it's worth trying to get it repaired or should I just buy another one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

No way of knowing for sure. You could try and remove the keyboard ,disconnect
    the connection to the motherboard ,and connect up a USB keyboard , to see if the keyboard is stopping it from booting fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Cheers Anthony, I actually hadn't looked at this connection for some reason and there was some wine residue on it, so it's obvious that it did indeed get wet and I'm hoping this is just the problem. Although I'm a little wary of disconnecting it as I'm not sure the proper way to do it.

I've PM'd some people offering their repair services on adverts.ie so hopefully someone gets back to me.

In the mean time if anyone has a link or can explain how I disconnect the keyboard it would be a great help. Is it the strip (wire??) that comes out or the whole unit comes off the motherboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭crowdcontrol

Sent you a PM Ste!

Advertisement