Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

H Dip Offers

Options
  • 26-03-2007 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else waiting on an offer for the H Dip?

It says they'll contact us asap after April 1st. Does that mean April 2nd, or could it be a while after that?

I've applied in UCD and to teach maths and economics up to LC.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I know at least one person who has got his acceptance email from DCU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭pwee

Its the 2nd of april, you can go online at 6.15-30am to see whether you have a place or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

whats the deadline for acceptance then???

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Orange

Does anybody know when TCD let applicants know?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Hurray, I got UCD!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Pythia wrote:
    Hurray, I got UCD!

Well done! Welcome to the wonderful world of teaching. Remember to get a broad range of schools for teaching practice.. get some disadvantaged teaching under your belt. It's really useful and helps develop your skills that you'll need in the classroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

UCC is in the bag baby!

Now to get a haircut...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Does anyone know how many points were needed for UCD or Maynooth this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

ateam wrote:
    Does anyone know how many points were needed for UCD or Maynooth this year?
    http://www.pac.ie/hdip.php?page=points

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭MissLe

i also got ucd! delighted! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭peewee18988

Happy days, got UCD for next year!!!
    When are the trinity offers out!!!!!!!!!??????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 whisper_77

I got UCC.

trinity offers are usually out around the same time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

So it was 40* points for UCD this year, yeah?

ya ucd 40, galway 41, maynooth 42. think ucc was 40 also.

Hi does anyone know what date the induction course starts next year in UCD?

If someone was to have a wedding abroad in the last week of August at which they were a groomsman, would you be able to miss it or would they go ape ****?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Davitt Man

I got the H\Dip course in UCD also. When does it start? Has anyone else holding an IT degree applied for this course, just wondering what other subjects can I teach as well as computers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 whisper_77

Davitt Man wrote: »
    I got the H\Dip course in UCD also. When does it start? Has anyone else holding an IT degree applied for this course, just wondering what other subjects can I teach as well as computers?

I hold an IT degree and I received an offer for a dip place in UCC.
    Well if you consult the 'Yellow Pages' of the PDEAC Handbook you will see that you will be able to teach Computer Studies but that really isn't enough to offer a school really.
    I am considering finding out if I am eligible to teach Economics , Business & Maths also as there was a lot of content from those areas in my degree.

I believe it can be a time consuming process and you have to provide them [The teaching council] with detailed info on your degree, subjects taken each year, hours for each subject, college handbook detailing those subjects, practical & tutorial hours, degree parchment photocopy, official copy of your results etc.

I am confused by the whole system because a lot of people seem to just mention subjects they have done in their degree and say that they are eligible to teach those...surely they will be caught out no???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Davitt Man

i habe reading around on this board and it appears you can teach other subjects that you touched on in your college degree but no one seems to know for sure. Hopefully we can teach a subject like history or geography as well as computers. I suppose the only way to find out for sure is to ring the post grad office.

My only worry is to complete this H\Dip and be only able to teach computers, thats not enough to get a full time job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭Rosita

I can't speak with any aithority on IT degrees and their constituent parts nor can I speak for the teaching council. But in the case of say, a BA degree, it is obvious what has been done as there are discrete subjects as opposed to modules (despite some of the changing terminology) here and there. For example, someone might study English and Maths as degree subjects and have done Geography and French in their first year which might entitle them to do some teaching in those first year subjects. It is very clear then that those subjects made up 25% of one year of the degree and it is easily measured and considered.

Presumably it is a tricker job for a degree such as IT with an over-arching subject being constituted of various modules. But it in no doubt possible to assess these things. Without having the foggiest notion of what, specifically, an IT degree entails I imagine that any subject (maths possibly?) taken for all three years of the degree or however long the degree course was, would be a strong candidate for a teaching subject.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

MissLe wrote: »
    trinity offers are usually out around the same time

Yep got mine yesterday and I got it!

just wondering does anyone have any idea how many places there are on the dip in ucd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭scut

There's approx. 200 places in ucd, I got it too, delighted!! It says on the offer form that we have to send our experience form, where exactly are we sending it? (I already sent a reference form with my hours along with the application form)

Yeah I sent my experience with my applicatin also but got the principal to sign off my hours and got the school stamp on my sheet and sent it aay again with my acceptance...

When do the offers have to be sent back by?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭scut

It has to be sent back by the 30th of this month for UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭edeldonlon

I got offered maynooth. does anybody know when it usually starts??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 sammylouth

Hi I got offer a place in UCD as well.
    Can anyone recommend a school in the list UCD gave for teaching in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Be warned...places here in the west are moving very quickly for Dip next year. I'd get calling schools or calling into them if I were ye. Best of luck to ye all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

With regard to what subjects you can teach if you have your Dip and your main subject is IT, well that depends on two things:
    1- what other subjects you pick up in your Dip year
    2- what school you end up in.

For example, whatever subjects you take up in your dip year, you are eligible to teach these subjects, just not to exam classes.

Also, depending on what kind of school you are in will determine your subjects/hours. For example, you can teach computers, there is also a subject known as LINKS, which is a computer/business based LCVP subject.

Also, some schools may be short on teachers for whatever reason, this can lead to you getting hours teaching subjects you are not necessarily qualified to do.

Take me for example: I did an arts degree in the hope of going into teaching.. I had doubts after completing my degree about whether or not it was what I wanted to do, so I got a part time job in a school with no dip.
    It has just come to the end of my second year with that school, and I dont yet have my dip. but I have had 22 hours a week for the last two years. And these are the subjects I have taught:

English
    Irish
    Maths
    T.E.S.O.L
    Work Experience
    Social Education

Now I work in a disadvantaged area. Along with all of that work available to you in a disadvantaged area is the opportunity for extra one-to-one work with some kids, and support teaching also

So if you are worried about making up hours on your timetable, dont be!!

Best of luck to all of you starting Dip in 08

Advertisement