Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone been to the Birr telescope recently?

Options
  • 26-03-2007 3:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Has anyone been to the telescope at Birr Castle recently?, I am curious to know what condition it is in now after 10 years since its restoration. http://www.birrcastle.com/telescopeHistory.asp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Lazairus

Quite poor actually , the builder that was involved in the restoration , F**ked it up big time , so that its not fully operational yet, i think he used the wrong materials . and the man who owns the land + telescope is an pain in the arse. i happen to know this because my uncle was chief astronomer of birr telescope

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Lazairus wrote:
    Quite poor actually , the builder that was involved in the restoration , F**ked it up big time , so that its not fully operational yet, i think he used the wrong materials . and the man who owns the land + telescope is an pain in the arse. i happen to know this because my uncle was chief astronomer of birr telescope

The nominated sub contractor for that job was Universal Works Ltd which worked under Michael Mc Mamara Ltd as the main contractor. They had to follow engineering drawings and strict guidelines made out by the OPW. They had no say in what timbers & materials were to be used and the process on how it was to be treated at the time and how it was to be subsequently maintained in its aftermath. The decision to use up to 10% of the original exposed wood from the old tube incorporated into the new tube was insane. I am not at all surprised to hear of it in its present state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

I was down there on Saturday. It looks like it's in ok condition cosmetically anyway. The are where the telescope is housed could do with a clean / tidy up. It was a bit rough. Also went for a walk around, the Millennium gardens were a joke!! Looks like very little care and attention has been given to them, overgrown with weeds and not really kept at all. Awful pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

I wouldn't think that they would really expect too much people going through; kind of sad in a way, how so many people don't have a care at all about astronomy. It's not even taught in Secondary School here. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭squonk

MrPirate wrote: »
    I wouldn't think that they would really expect too much people going through; kind of sad in a way, how so many people don't have a care at all about astronomy. It's not even taught in Secondary School here. :(

Well sadly very scant regard is paid to Irish scientists and invnetions that have made quite a difference to the world. We seem to hear all about the writers, Yeats, Wilde et al but I'd doubt too many out there would know about the Earle of Rosse, George Boole etc. I even think Beaufort, the man who classified the wind strengths was Irish or had some connections to the country.

In doing Physics at school I was genuinely surprised to hear that the Birr telescope existed and, even more surprised to learn that it was quite an important piece of equipment at the time it was built. The educational system seems to paint us as a nation of writers, artists, musicians and revolutionaries and neglects the other important areas in which we have made a contribution to the world. It's sad and if these contributions were highlighted a lot more, then maybe there's be more kids enthused by all areas of science and engineering.

• Advertisement

squonk wrote: »
    Well sadly very scant regard is paid to Irish scientists and invnetions that have made quite a difference to the world. We seem to hear all about the writers, Yeats, Wilde et al but I'd doubt too many out there would know about the Earle of Rosse, George Boole etc. I even think Beaufort, the man who classified the wind strengths was Irish or had some connections to the country.

In doing Physics at school I was genuinely surprised to hear that the Birr telescope existed and, even more surprised to learn that it was quite an important piece of equipment at the time it was built. The educational system seems to paint us as a nation of writers, artists, musicians and revolutionaries and neglects the other important areas in which we have made a contribution to the world. It's sad and if these contributions were highlighted a lot more, then maybe there's be more kids enthused by all areas of science and engineering.

I know what you mean completely. Ireland seems to be deemed a country where no scientific developments can happen. As far as astronomy goes, I went to school in America for the first 12 years of my life and I remember very well the chapters about astronomy and the universe. Hell, I ended up getting a very nice telescope that Christmas (which I still have and use now and then today). But my sister went to primary here and said nothing at all about space was ever taught. I don't recall it ever being taught at all in secondary and I'm sitting my leaving right now! I remember a brief mention about space in physics, but I dropped it to take up another subject so I didn't get much of a look.
    If Ireland was more recognisable by its people of a nation of inventors as well as writers, we may see a higher amount of people going for science courses. Just because the points are low doesn't mean it will attract people! But no, as you said, we're seen as writers, artists, musicians, etc. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Frank Ryan Jr

It's a huge shame that the telescope is now basically going to
    be left fall into disrepair again.
    It's all down to money and politics and we all know what the current state of
    both of those are for the country right now.

As for how Ireland is seen.
    I'm sure it's the same now as it was then,
    if you asked any random person in the world name a famous Irish man
    they would probably say Bono.
    The more popular the medium the more people know about it,

I think in terms of science though,
    those in the science loop so regard Ireland,
    for such a small nation,
    with a great deal of credibility.
    It's frankly amazing we have achieved so much with the size of poupolution
    and the financial backing sciences get, then and now.

It's a huge shame that the telescope is now basically going to
    be left fall into disrepair again.
    It's all down to money and politics and we all know what the current state of
    both of those are for the country right now.

As for how Ireland is seen.
    I'm sure it's the same now as it was then,
    if you asked any random person in the world name a famous Irish man
    they would probably say Bono.
    The more popular the medium the more people know about it,

I think in terms of science though,
    those in the science loop so regard Ireland,
    for such a small nation,
    with a great deal of credibility.
    It's frankly amazing we have achieved so much with the size of poupolution
    and the financial backing sciences get, then and now.
    Indeed. It's a shame that the 2 largest parties in the country are both conservative parties; always have been too. If only the govt. invested more into science during their "boom" times but.. :/

I always thought they would say St. Patrick. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 DLohan

Terrible news to hear that such a historic and wonderous feature is in such bad condition.

Advertisement