Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth to Damastown

Options
  • 26-03-2007 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

Have a job interview coming up. Does anyone know where Damastown is? How to get there from Maynooth and how long roughly do you think it would take to drive there in rush hour traffic?

Just want to see if it's even worth going for the interview. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Damastown is just over the N3 from Clonee. Not far from Maynooth at all really. Your pinch point would be Dunboyne at rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

I worked there for a while - it's accessed from N3 eastbound from the first junction on the Clonee Bypass DC from my recollection. Back in 2001 the traffic only occasionally built up to here from the M50, I guess it is worse these days.

I'd imagine going to Dunboyne from Maynooth, this is a pretty easy location to get to. Probably more so that just about anywhere else that is technically "Dublin".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

MayMay wrote:
    Have a job interview coming up. Does anyone know where Damastown is? How to get there from Maynooth and how long roughly do you think it would take to drive there in rush hour traffic?

Just want to see if it's even worth going for the interview. Thanks
    Did you ask the company for directions? Do they have them on their website? You could ask them for recommendations as they might have employees that use public transport.

I searched Damastown map. Via the first link I got to: http://www.skybusinesscentres.com/html/location_damastown.asp

Dublin Bus routes 38 and 38A serve Damastown. You could get the train to Castleknock station and get one of those two buses.
    For the interview you might consider getting the train to Coolmine, booking a local taxi to bring you to Damastown.

I suggest public transport as it is, IMO, less stressful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Well daymobrew I think Maymays predicament proves most of the points that I made in the discussion on the docklands stations. Its a disaster trying to get from one place to another in Dublin using public transport and your taxi suggestion proves this.
    Maymay you have a number of crappy options
    1./ train to clonsilla, from the mucky road outside the station take the 39 (give 15-20 mins for bus) to ongar and walk from the last stop to Damastown (40 mins walk). if the day is dry your suit will be clean, if not I wouldnt do this.
    2./ go with daymobrew suggestion to go as far as castleknock and get a taxi from there. Basically easier to get a taxi from castleknock then clonsilla
    3./ Forget the 38 - since it takes forever.
    4./ if you get a taxi from maynooth to damastown with a local firm should nt be mad expensive 30 ish euro? if they go via dunboyne.? and use public transport home.

I know these are bad options but that about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Totally agree. Even a relatively simple/short journey like Maynooth-Damastown becomes a trains, buses and taxi's free-for-all.

Pay for the taxi OP.. less stressful and seeing as it's an interview you're going for, much faster and relaible. If you get the job (good luck by the way - it's not IBM is it? ;)) then look into a longer term solution as already suggested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

Thanks so much everyone, ye've been so helpful :D

I'll be driving so thankfully I don't have to worry about public transport. Thanks very much for the directions and help! :)

I'm an advocate of public transport, but until Clonsilla-Pace rail link is a reality, it would not be sensible to travel by public transport between Maynooth and Damastown.

Damastown is directly across the N3 from Pace, about 15 mins walk or so from the flyover to IBM iirc. Depending on where the station is sited at Pace, it could be handy enough in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The easiest way is to take the N4 as far as the M50 and head northbound on the M50. Go through the toll and get off at the next interchange (the N3 interchange). You'll be heading in Blanchardstown/Cavan/Navan direction. Go straight through the Blanchardstown roundabout and take the 3rd sliproad exit (after the 2 sliproad exits for the shopping centre). At the top of the sliproad, turn right and that brings you to Damastown Industrial Estate. IBM is straight ahead at the roundabout, everything else is right at the roundabout.

You can get round the toll by going through Lucan or Dunboyne but I wouldn't recommend it if you don't know the area.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 7,390 ✭✭✭fletch

Stark wrote:
    The easiest way is to take the N4 as far as the M50 and head northbound on the M50. Go through the toll and get off at the next interchange (the N3 interchange). You'll be heading in Blanchardstown/Cavan/Navan direction. Go straight through the Blanchardstown roundabout and take the 3rd sliproad exit (after the 2 sliproad exits for the shopping centre). At the top of the sliproad, turn right and that brings you to Damastown Industrial Estate. IBM is straight ahead at the roundabout, everything else is right at the roundabout.

You can get round the toll by going through Lucan or Dunboyne but I wouldn't recommend it if you don't know the area.
    That route is fine so long as its outside rush hour in which case it would take at least 2-3times as long as taking the back roads through Dunboyne. Here is the route I would take
    routeie0.th.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭WUSBDesign

I know you mentioned you are going to drive, but bus service number 239 can take you from Liffey Valley shopping centre to Blanchardstown town centre. A taxi from the latter to Damastown will be less than EUR10.

• Advertisement

Thanks but if I get the job I'll have to drive anyway so I might aswell drive to the interview.

It's in the Damastown Industrial Park across from Glenbeigh Records if anyone knows where that is? But I suppose if I make it that far it will be easy enough to find.

Thanks very much for that map fletch. Is the Dunboyne route a better one to take than the N3 Interchange/Blanchardstown route?

Yeah I reckon it is. I assumed at first that because you were going for an interview, you might get a time outside rush hour; I didn't read your post properly. The toll bridge is evil around rush hour and I reckon the N4 inbound is an absolute nightmare also. The N3 northbound is actually fine during rush hour although that's only a tiny portion of your journey.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Ok thanks Stark. I haven't been on any of these roads so I'm a bit clueless. I'll go for a drive this evening and suss them out. Thanks for your help.

Back with my annoying questions sorry. Going to take a drive now later to find Damastown but just checking on my map it looks miles away from Maynooth...they said it's Blanchardstown area but it looks to me like it's near The Naul? Have tried the AA Roadwatch site to get directions but no such luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Damastown is on the boarder between co dublin and co meath tbh.
    You have to take the off ramp for clonee off the navan rd/blanchardstwon bypass and then instead of going into the village you turn left back over the Navan rd up into the Damastown est.

Map_9593215.jpg

Once you learn the back roads from maynooth or from Captin hill in lexslip to blanch it is possible to do drive the distance in 30 mins off peak times.

Thaedydal wrote:
    Damastown is on the boarder between co dublin and co meath tbh.
    You have to take the off ramp for clonee off the navan rd and then instead of going into the village you turn left back over the Navan rd up into the Damastown est.

Off ramp? So I should go on the Navan Road? Is there much signposting? How long roughly do you think it would take from Maynooth? Sorry for all the questions just don't know the area at all and I'm heading off now soon to find it.

Stark wrote:
    Go straight through the Blanchardstown roundabout and take the 3rd sliproad exit (after the 2 sliproad exits for the shopping centre). At the top of the sliproad, turn right and that brings you to Damastown Industrial Estate. IBM is straight ahead at the roundabout, everything else is right at the roundabout.
    MayMay wrote:
    Is there much signposting?

You should be able to find it by counting the sliproads. There's a white sign before you come to it saying "Damastown Industrial Estate" and the green sign says "Clonee".

After you turn right at the top of the slip road, you'll be driving straight into the industrial estate. The industrial estate lies along the Damastown Road. There are red signs at the junctions along the road which tell you where to go for each company.

I'd recommend going the N4/M50/N3 some route some evening when it's quiet as it's the easiest way to find the place. When you're leaving, you can go back over the bridge for the N3 and turn right to bring you onto the Clonee bypass. If you follow the signs for Clonee, Maynooth should be signposted from Clonee.

Thanks...I'm lost.

Going the Dunboyne route and looking at my map I go from Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonee-N3-Kilbride-Donaghmore-Damastown.

Right? Wrong? It looks like a long distance from this map. God I hate maps!

By Blanchardstown area, they mean the Dublin 15 area.

And I don't understand how they're saying it's Blanchardstown area....it's miles away from Blanchardstown?:confused:

• Advertisement

so much for trying to be being helpful

The whole greater Dublin 15 area is often called the Blancardstown area.
    You don't have to go into Kilbride or Donaghmore.

Thaedydal wrote:
    ok grab a pen and paper and write out the following instructions or print them.

Travel from Maynooth in to lexslip all the way over the river and into the village.
    In the middle off lexslip village you will find there is a set of lights and a left turn.

Take the left turn which will have you going up hill follow the road all the way up. You will pass riverforest est on the left and then go up over the railway bridge and then you will find yourself at a T junction.

Turn Right and follow the road you will pass lexslip gaa club on your right and follow the road until it terminates in another T junction.

Turn Right and you will see the signs for Lucan. The road will immedately bring you over a humbacked railway bridge.
    Imediatley after you go over the bridge you are turning LEFT. IT is a sudden turn so be ready for it.

Follow the road all the way a long it is has houses on either side until this one terminates in a T junction. You will see sign posts and you turn LEFT heading for Clonsilla and you will pass the westmanstown garda sports and socail club on your right.

Follow the road as you come to wards consilla train station the road curves to the left, it is NOT a T junction the road curves to the left and you follow it up over the clonsilla trainstaion humpbacked bridge.

Once you are over the consilla railway bridge you follow the road to the right and then you will be in conilla and you will see a garage and then you will be in consilla village.

Go straight down through clonsilla village until you get to the roundabout.

Take the first exit to the left on the round about and you will be on the blanchardstown north road.

Go straight through the nest round about which has power city to the right of it.

Go straight down that road and straight through the next round about at the blanchards town shopping centre.

Then the next junction is a round about and you take the first left exit off it which is the slip road down on to the blanchardstown round about.

Travel on the blanch by pass and take the next exit off which is the clonee exit. When you go up the clonee slip road take a right across the bridge across the blanch by pass and you are headed up into Damastown industrial est. Keep going up the road until you see the gates for it.

Hope that helps I used to drive the reverse of that when I was working in Intel.

Oh thank you SO much! You are the most helpful person on the planet! I'll head off now and report back later if I survive. I know it probably seems trivial but I'm new to driving and don't know the area so I'm a bit nervous. Thanks so much!! :D

Well bring your maps and your phone and take your time.
    Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

why the detour? you are sending her way out . Maynooth to dunboyne right turn to clonee right at mini roundabout then left at next ,over by-pass then right past kippax ( think thats whats it called) then left at top of road then bingo your there. Thaedydal must be a taxi driver:D

Foad

I've been along that route (Clonsilla-Lucan) a number of times - the problem is that crossing the railway line at Clonsilla is a bit dodgy in the morning, and the trains crossing there have even increased recently. A lot of the hold up though is having the humped bridge immediately after over the canal and then the road junction. Just to repeat, it's a level crossing with the railway at Clonsilla, not a bridge. The bridge is immediately afterwards over the canal.

Also there is no way you want to go in towards Blanch from Clonsilla and back out again to Damastown, talk about a traffic black-hole.

Unless Dunboyne is an insane traffic blackspot, I'm sure going there directly from Maynooth is preferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Dero

Thaedydal wrote:
    ok grab a pen and paper and write out the following instructions or print them.

Travel from Maynooth in to lexslip all the way over the river and into the village.
    In the middle off lexslip village you will find there is a set of lights and a left turn.

Take the left turn which will have you going up hill follow the road all the way up. You will pass riverforest est on the left and then go up over the railway bridge and then you will find yourself at a T junction.

Turn Right and follow the road you will pass lexslip gaa club on your right and follow the road until it terminates in another T junction.

This fine as far as here, but why would you turn right here to come in around by Clonsilla? :confused:
    Turn left here and it will bring you (eventually) to another T-junction. Turn left again there and it will bring you right into Clonee. Then turn right into Clonee, go through to the next T-junction and then left across the motorway into Damastown industrial area. You can turn left either when you get to Clonee, past where the blue tower crane currently is, but there'll be plenty of time for that if you're commuting it every day. I go a similar route past Maynooth to Damastown to work. I don't go through Leixlip, but again, lots of time to learn these things if it becomes a regular commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭gingerGiant

OK lots of ways to do this route but at rush hour i would do the following.

From Maynooth head for Dunboyne, after Carton House entrance which is on your right a couple of miles out take the next right, this road will take you over past leixlip GAA club and terminates in a T junction.

From here follow the instructions of Dero:

Turn left here and it will bring you (eventually) to another T-junction. Turn left again there and it will bring you right into Clonee. Then turn right into Clonee, go through to the next T-junction and then left across the motorway into Damastown industrial area. You can turn left either when you get to Clonee, past where the blue tower crane currently is, but there'll be plenty of time for that if you're commuting it every day. I go a similar route past Maynooth to Damastown to work. I don't go through Leixlip, but again, lots of time to learn these things if it becomes a regular commute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Thaedydal wrote:
    No I am not a taxi driver and last I was out that way those roads were not finished or sign posted.

:eek: not finished/signposted? they have been there for ages. Try and get some local knowledge before you send people on a mystery tour.

Advertisement