Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does this seem expensive?

Options
  • 26-03-2007 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at buying a Laptop as I'll be working abroad for the next few years, I'll be using it for work, internet surfing, multimedia and gaming. This is what I've got from Dell. It's slightly cheaper than a similar model from Alienware (customised Aurora m9700). What does everyone think of the price?

SYSTEM COMPONENTS

Inspiron 9400

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7200 (2.0 GHz, 4 MB L2 cache, 667 MHz FSB)
    Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium - English
    1024MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x512)
    Keyboard Internal Keyboard - UK/Ire (QWERTY)
    Video Card 256MB DDR3 nVidia® GeForce™ Go 7900 graphics card
    Hard Drive 200GB (4,200 rpm) Hard Drive
    No Floppy Drive Option
    Modem 56.6k V.92 Capable Internal Modem & Adapter
    CD/DVD Drives Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including software
    Intel® Pro Wireless 3945 802.11a/b/g Mini-PCI Card (for Core 2 Duo Processor)
    Microsoft® Works 8.0 - English
    Standard Warranty Collect & Return, 1 Year Service only
    Hardware Support Basic Package, 2 Year At-Home Service
    No Security/Anti-Virus Protection - English
    Power Supply 90W AC Adapter
    No Photo Organising & Sharing Software/No Photo Editing Software
    Primary Battery 9 Cell, 80Whr Lithium Ion Primary Battery
    No Carry Case
    Money Off Savings Save Euro 120 inc vat
    Dell System Media Kit Inspiron Resource DVD - Vista (Diagnostics & Drivers)
    No Snap on LCD Back Cover
    LCD 17" Wide Screen XGA+ (1440x900)TFT display with TrueLife™

TOTAL Incl. VAT:€ 1,772.81

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

What does everyone think of the price?

Yup seems expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

it seems resonable to me!

although i if ya look at the dell website now you get 2gig of ram instead of your one and came to a total of €1468.32 you get a very good gxf card and a decent chip loads of ram, nice screen, i think you would be hard pushed to find another laptop of the same spec for araound that price, get rid of the 3 year support, very expensive!!!!

BASEIntel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7200 (2.0 GHz, 4 MB L2 cache, 667 MHz FSB)OPERATING SYSTEMGenuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium - ct & Return, 1 Year Service only ServiceLCD17" Wide Screen WXGA (1440x900) TFT DisplayMEMORY2048MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024)HARD DRIVE160GB (5,400 rpm) Sata Hard DriveOPTICAL DRIVEFixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including softwareGRAPHICS CARD256MB DDR3 nVidia® GeForce™ Go 7900 graphics cardPRIMARY BATTERY9 Cell, 80Whr Lithium Ion Primary Battery

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

jessy wrote:
    it seems resonable to me!

although i if ya look at the dell website now you get 2gig of ram instead of your one and came to a total of €1468.32 you get a very good gxf card and a decent chip loads of ram, nice screen, i think you would be hard pushed to find another laptop of the same spec for araound that price, get rid of the 3 year support, very expensive!!!!

BASEIntel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7200 (2.0 GHz, 4 MB L2 cache, 667 MHz FSB)OPERATING SYSTEMGenuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium - ct & Return, 1 Year Service only ServiceLCD17" Wide Screen WXGA (1440x900) TFT DisplayMEMORY2048MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024)HARD DRIVE160GB (5,400 rpm) Sata Hard DriveOPTICAL DRIVEFixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including softwareGRAPHICS CARD256MB DDR3 nVidia® GeForce™ Go 7900 graphics cardPRIMARY BATTERY9 Cell, 80Whr Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Hard Drive is different in your spec than the op.

I am getting €1,784 with 2Gigs and 1 year support at the minute. Reasonable for the spec.

petes wrote:
    Hard Drive is different in your spec than the op.

I am getting €1,784 with 2Gigs and 1 year support at the minute. Reasonable for the spec.

it is but hard drives are dirt cheep! and the i still getting €1468 with the spec below that i copied and pasted in.

jessy wrote:
    it is but hard drives are dirt cheep! and the i still getting €1468 with the spec below that i copied and pasted in.

Is that gross or net?

Whatever way I try and configure it, it is about €1,750 which is about right for the machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Hang on, I've just found this Inspiron 6400 with similar specs for much cheaper -it's got a decent video card/chip and lots of HDD space but is small enough to be portable (well, smaller than a 17" mofo :D)

Inspiron 6400

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5600 (1.83 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 667 MHz FSB)
    Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium - English
    1024MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x512)
    Internal Keyboard - UK/Ire (QWERTY)
    256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7300 TurboCache™
    160GB (5,400 rpm) Sata Hard Drive
    No Floppy Drive Option
    Modem 56.6k V.92 Capable Internal Modem & Adapter
    Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including software
    Wireless Local Area Networking Intel® Pro Wireless 3945 802.11a/b/g Mini-PCI Card (for Core 2 Duo Processor)
    Microsoft® Works 8.0 - English
    Standard Warranty Collect & Return, 1 Year Service only
    Hardware Support Collect & Return, 1 Year Service only
    No Security/Anti-Virus Protection - English
    No Photo Organising & Sharing Software/No Photo Editing Software
    Primary Battery 9 Cell, 85Whr Lithium Ion Primary Battery
    LCD 15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display with TrueLife™

Grand total of €1,163.03 including VAT and delivery charge. Nice one!

Out of curiosity, what games are you going to play on it?

Would you consider upgrading the ram to 2GB on the 6400?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

petes wrote:
    Out of curiosity, what games are you going to play on it?

Would you consider upgrading the ram to 2GB on the 6400?

Probably Far Cry, GTA: San Andreas, C&C Generals, Half Life 2, Max Payne 2, nothing too taxing, although having said that I might buy some newer games going forward. After a little research, it seems the NVidia GO 7300 isn't exactly the best card around. 2 gigs of RAM does sound nice though.

petes wrote:
    Is that gross or net?

Whatever way I try and configure it, it is about €1,750 which is about right for the machine.

its the ex vat price, i assumed since he said it was going to be for work, that he would only need to look at the ex vat :-( sorry

jessy wrote:
    its the ex vat price, i assumed since he said it was going to be for work, that he would only need to look at the ex vat :-( sorry

No its grand. I thought it was either that or my mouldy Monday head:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Probably Far Cry, GTA: San Andreas, C&C Generals, Half Life 2, Max Payne 2, nothing too taxing, although having said that I might buy some newer games going forward. After a little research, it seems the NVidia GO 7300 isn't exactly the best card around. 2 gigs of RAM does sound nice though.
    Yea that graphics card isn't up to much. The one in your OP is in a whole different league. I find this page very helpful when looking at laptops seen as graphics cards are the one thing I always find hard to evaluate http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=39568

I would definitely go for the 2 gigs of RAM.

Advertisement