Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making drawers, from chipboard :o

Options
  • 26-03-2007 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭

Hi there.

i'm doing a built in wardrobe in an attic room i'm rennovating, and we're gonna use some BnQ kitchen doors and drawer fronts for the wardrobes/cupboards. the reason we're using kitchen stuff is cos the wardrobe is being built into the roof and is all quite low.

however due to a snaggle we ran into yesterday when we discovered that BnQ contemporary cherry wardrobe doors are not the same colour as BnQ contemporary cherry kitchen doors we have been forced to re-think our idea.

we are now gonna put in some drawers into one of the gaps we want to fill, but the drawer kits offered don't have deep enough sides for holding clothes and stuff. so we're gonna make the drawers ourselves.

Planning on making basic boxes from four pieces of conti-board with a conti-board base.

any tips on how to best go about making them? i'm thinking glue and screw but not sure how well screws will go into chipboard end grain?

your thoughts would be appreciated people :)

Kind regards,

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Tricky one.Could you reinforce them by gluing lengths of quarter round in the insides of the corners? This would increase the glued up area.
    I made up some deep drawers ( 12'') from mdf but I was able to rebate the sides on a router table and slide in the back and front, glued and screwed into the end grain then, don't think you can route chipboard though.Also I put them on full extension metal drawer sliders which reduces the 'load' on the front of the drawer when you pull it out, cos I was worried I might pull the front off if they were heavily loaded. Duh guess thats why they invented the dovetail ;-)

Or if the stock was thick enough you could drill into the end grain about 20mm and glue in a bit of dowel and then screw into the dowel. You get me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

not mad on gluing in the quarter rounds idea to be honest.

is it possible to get contiboard in mdf? herself wants the contiboard cos its clean/dust free, and i'm not entirely disagreeing with her.

I like the idea of routing the fronts and sides into each other, makes for a much stronger mechanical connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

far as I know that contiboard only comes with a particleboard/chipboard core, I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I found nothing wrong with screwing into chipboards like you said, I always use spax screws, never given me any trouble.

Advertisement