Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of the alcohol policy && the SU Elections 2007. !!Official Thread!!

Options
  • 25-03-2007 4:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭

I heard off someone last week that UL were getting rid of the alcohol policy, or at least altering it so that drinks promotions etc. will be allowed on campus. Is it just hearsay or are things happening?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Things happening.

Voting takes place this Wed along with the SU elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Apparently there might be a student referendum on the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Dont take this as gospel, but i heard it was decided at last weeks class reps meeting, that, if the university did not comply with all the stipulations set down in the policy, i.e, free wedneday afternoons etc, by next september, then the alcohol policy would be removed by christmas '07?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It's not quite hearsay but you're not quite correct.

The alcohol policy was introduced, as you know, four years ago (March 27 2003 if I recall rightly) and was passed by the SU at class reps council and at clubs and socs council (if I remember rightly I used the word "bollocks" to describe the notion of the college implementing some of the stipulations at the time there but I doubt it was minuted like that).

It's been in place four years and there are a number of major promises made by the university authorities at the time that haven't been fulfilled or haven't been close to being fulfilled. With that in mind, Paddy McHugh, who's been elected unopposed as Campaigns & Services officer in the SU next year has proposed a referendum which, if passed, will charge the SU to withdraw support for the alcohol policy from week 12 of the first semester of next year and hold support until the uni promises are fulfilled. This will effectively kill the policy, at least in the absence of the major promises being met. This is essentially a proposal that's come from Paddy via clubs and socs and it's heavily backed by clubs and socs and rightly so. It's been backed by class reps as well. The referendum's on Thursday, the same day as SU elections for the coming year. Given that it's also election week you'll see people running around during the week pushing the referendum in a big way.

Including me as it happens as I'm running for election on Thursday. The alcohol policy is a bad policy poorly implemented by the college. Turn up and vote for the referendum.

sceptre wrote:
    Including me as it happens as I'm running for election on Thursday.

What are you running for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

PPO!

Best of luck Seamus!

(Even though I'm campaigning for your opposition....Vote Niamh! ;))

But, it is important that everyone gets out and votes 'yes' to the referendum... If we can show the University how really annoyed we are with this policy that they've completely neglected over the past four years, then maybe they will rectify it. If there is a strong turnout, the University will have to sit up and listen.

Thursday Week 7 (that's this Thursday!)
    Polling will take place between 9am and 7pm in the B1 Canteen, Stables and Health Sciences Building

Get your voice heard!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Im on CoOp but hopefully ill be around to vote. It will be tight to make it in by 7 though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 stoneybuckets17

There should be an online vote for students off campus, or even a postal vote.. I'm on coop aswell at the moment but would like to have my say!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

We look at implementing online voting but like everything people complained that without a paper trail it could not be considered as too many people would object.

This was back in 1998 mind you

Ya I can understand that but I think 1998 was a long time ago and I think technology can be trusted alot more these days.... even so I still don't see why a postal vote can't be used!!!

• Advertisement

It was proposed every time since then as well.. Main reason is this.. it wouldnt have been done by professional programmers, just students part time and also if it was done professionally it would cost too much to implement.

I think there were other considerations such as data privacy and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

I think technology can be trusted alot more these days....

agreed. but also consider that the people who know how to manipulate this technology can be trusted even less these days! or at least some of them.

Totally Understandable! I mean the Goverment had the money to do it and still f**ked it up, anyway thats needer here nor there. I hate to repeat myself, but again I must stress......postal vote????

Back on topic...

Right the elections and the referendum are taking place tomorrow...
    9am until 7pm in B-block Canteen, the Stables, SU Photocopying Room, and the Health Sciences building...

Alcohol Policy Referendum:
    YES - to withdraw from Policy from 28 November until such a time that the University fulfils its obligations
    NO - stay with the Policy

It's really important that a quorate referendum is achieved...2000 people are needed to cast their vote! Please be one of those people.

The University has failed the students with this Alcohol Policy....
    VOTE YES!

The candidates for the Students' Union Sabbatical Elections:

President:
    Kelly, Eoin
    Ó Donnabháin, St. John

Welfare
    Heneghan, Jim
    Lynch, Judith

Education
    Gardiner, Eamonn
    Higgins, Alan

Campaigns & Services
    Deemed elected - unopposed - Patrick McHugh

Publicity & Publications
    Clowry, Niamh
    Ryan, Seamus

Well at the moment im voting YES (of coarse!!) and im re-electing St. John And Alan Higgins and im electing Judith Lynch and Seamus Ryan. Does anybody want to tell me I should do different!!!! (and why of coarse!)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

cooperguy wrote:
    Well at the moment im voting YES (of coarse!!) and im re-electing St. John And Alan Higgins and im electing Judith Lynch and Seamus Ryan. Does anybody want to tell me I should do different!!!! (and why of coarse!)

Seems good to me.

After being at the speeches (Or debate or whatever that thing was in the stables today) I would vote the same way.

I will of course ;) be voting Seamus! Go Comp Sys w00p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Vote Seamus for PPO!

...there, thats my campaigning finished!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Peteee wrote:
    Seems good to me.

After being at the speeches (Or debate or whatever that thing was in the stables today) I would vote the same way.

I will of course ;) be voting Seamus! Go Comp Sys w00p

What was the debate thingy like? Anyone come across as a complete clown?

cooperguy wrote:

Aye, Shay was a shoo in as was St. John.

Judith sold it for me yday at the debate thingy.

Not sure about Edu tho. I mean should the Edu Officer know how the QCA works?

kaimera wrote:
    I mean should the Edu Officer know how the QCA works?

Does *anyone* know how the QCA works???? :eek: :eek:

• Advertisement

Yup .. even know how the checksum on your id number works

Congrats to Seamus!!!! woohooo

Congrats to all elected and commiserations to those not!

What's more, congrats to everyone who voted yes in the Referendum...shove 94.92% where the sun don't shine, Mr University...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Ye got a mention in RTÉ news ye posh feckers.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0330/ul.html?rss

This is also one of my "I miss UL" posts :(

RTE News wrote:
    It is currently considering a number of requests from the students' union in relation to the increase of funding to clubs and societies, the freeing up of Wednesday afternoons and the provision of an alcohol-free venue for social purposes.

No mention of the 60,000 in there anywhere!

Can anyone tell me who was elected/re-elected exactly. And what was the turnout for the referendum. It made 2000 anyway but it would be nice to tell the university that alot more than that turned out aswell (unlikely though)

Referendum:
    Spoilt: 13
    Yes: 2073 (94.92%)
    No: 111 (5.08%)
    Total Valid Poll: 2184

Sabbat Elections

President:
    Eoin Kelly 582 (27.37%)
    St John O' Donnabháin 1544 (72.63%)

Deputy President - Welfare:
    Jim Heneghan 576 (27.73%)
    Judith Lynch 1501 (72.27%)

Education:
    Alan Higgins 1142 (55.09%)
    Eamonn Gardiner 931 (44.91%)

Campaigns and Services:
    Patrick McHugh - unopposed

Publications and Publicity:
    Niamh Clowry 892 (43.22%)
    Séamus Ryan 1172 (56.78%

St. John
    Alan
    Judith
    Seamus
    Patrick.

2068 voted yes on the Alcohol Policy which at ~95% makes around 2176 folks voted altogether for it.
    What I make it anyway.

[edit] Schnap! Guess I had the wrong figures from the ULSU forum :p

RTE News wrote:
    It is currently considering a number of requests from the students' union in relation to the increase of funding to clubs and societies, the freeing up of Wednesday afternoons and the provision of an alcohol-free venue for social purposes.

This is directly taken from the University's statement. It's completely untrue. These are not "requests from the Students' Union"...these were terms agreed in the Alcohol Policy in 2002.

The University is doing everything it can to avoid living up to its responsibilities. It's time to face the facts:

From the Alcohol Policy, passed by Governing Authority on 25 June 2002:

"The University will support, in terms of resources, the development of attractive alcohol-free environments on campus for those who wish to enjoy an alcohol-free evening with friends"

"A proactive approach by the University is to be pursued as a top priority, to help student clubs and societies find an alternative to drinks companies sponsorship"

Governing Authority also passed the motion that Wednesday afternoons should be kept free from classes to foster participation in extra curricular activities.

The University needs to stand up to its commitments, or stand aside and allow students to progress.

Guys c'mon.

Don't attack the person.

• Advertisement

Seconded, cant go saying things like that, even if you have something to back up your claim with. Unless you want to see him bring a case for slander against you or something! Anyway, kai's point and mine, lets just keep it friendly eh

Advertisement