Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

setanta to broadcast only 12 premiership matches on Setanta ireland in 07/08

Options
  • 24-03-2007 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

got a flier in the paper today with all of setanta stuff on it and the interesting point on it is that setanta ireland will only be showing 12 premiership matches next year down from 16 the other 67 will be on setanta sports 1 and 2 so they gonna make you subscribe to the whole pack to get em if you only have chorus or ntl which has setanta ireland in the basic pack. guess will just have to see what games they are and if its worth the extra money to watch em or stick with sky.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

I can't make out exactly what Setanta are doing. Looking at their website all I can see is that Live Premiership games will be on Setanta Freeview. There is no mention of it on the Sky platform. I have had some fliers and a letter from Setanta promoting their Freeview service highlighting the live English premiership.

Maybe their website needs updating. I would expect by now to see some promotion regarding the Sky platform. 60 SPL premiership games is as close as there is.

I don't know how you all feel about this but possibly Freeview is far more lucrative to Setanta than Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

does this surprise you channelsurfer

Setanta want you to subscribe to their other channels. it makes sense really

to Foggy43, Freeview is not in Ireland so it makes no difference to us what's happening on their Freeview channel

Mossy!

Just thought there maybe a few regulars across the border who may have an interest in Setanta on both Sky and Freeview.

Anyway for anyone interested there will be 46 Premiership (English that is) on Setanta Freeview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭fta keith

I am so glad RTE lost the live rights to show the most hyped Eng Prem league live on saturdays from next season, I hope RTE show some quality qualifying international games live apart from Rep Ireland ones which are much better value

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Mossy Monk wrote:
    does this surprise you channelsurfer

Setanta want you to subscribe to their other channels. it makes sense really

Exactly - in fact the only reason you're getting 12 "free" matches is because these cannot be shown in the UK and it would be logistically awkward for them to set up an Irish-only subscription channel for just 18-20 hours of content per year (and splitting the broadcast would probably cost them more than it's worth too, while the availability itself has certainly given them a pretty strong Irish presence in a very brief amount of time).

• Advertisement

fta keith wrote:
    I am so glad RTE lost the live rights to show the most hyped Eng Prem league live on saturdays from next season, I hope RTE show some quality qualifying international games live apart from Rep Ireland ones which are much better value

i'd rather they showed games regularly because when these other live matches are on chances are the Republic of Ireland will also be on at the same time. what do you suggest then? internationals simultaneously on RTÉ One and Two? you cannot compare league football to internationals

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭B

anyone no if rte have the rights to show the premiership soccer games live at 3pm on saturdays next season 2007/2008?

No they don't :mad:.

Setanta Ireland have all thirty games. Expect a season of Chelsea and Manchester United matches (if possible).

channelsurfer!

There is an add in todays Sunday Independent for Setanta saying there will be 79 premiership games exclusively live next season across their channels. It does not say which channel will carry them but I am sure they will be split between Setanta Ireland and Sports 1. I am not disputing you saying there would be 12 games on Setanta Ireland.
    Also there is no mention of the 2 PPV channels in the advert which someone raised a question on in another thread.

Also they have exclusively live the 48 Rugby World Cup game live. I feel this will not be available to UK subs.

Ok! I have the UK edition of the Sunday Independent but the add is directed at Ireland and Sky, NTL/Chorus subscribers. It is on page 17 sports section.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'd think channelsurfers info would be right, with 67 of the games on Sports 1 & 2. They'll need people to subscribe to these to recoup the big money spent on acquiring the rights, which they wouldn't do if many were on Setanta Ireland, free on cable here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement