Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knots.

Options
  • 23-03-2007 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭

Got some lengths of 3 x 1 white deal recently to replace some timbers on some garden seats that we are renovating.

Just noticed a few knots on two pieces and am wondering what to do. The knots appear to be light in colour and I presume that they have not yet dried out.

I have heard of a preparation called knotting fluid but have never used it.

Advice on how to deal with the knots would be much appreciated please. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

If the seats are to be painted then you need to seal them or they might bleed sap or discolour the top coat. For painted surfaces I use BIN..white pigmented shellac made by Zinsser. Clean up brush with meths NOT paint thinner.
    Clear finish on the wood use knotting fluid , I think Rustins make it, far as I remember it is shellac based as well.

Some old timers used heat the knots with a blowtorch to draw off the sap but I never liked that method.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Fingalian wrote:
    If the seats are to be painted then you need to seal them or they might bleed sap or discolour the top coat. For painted surfaces I use BIN..white pigmented shellac made by Zinsser. Clean up brush with meths NOT paint thinner.
    Clear finish on the wood use knotting fluid , I think Rustins make it, far as I remember it is shellac based as well.

Some old timers used heat the knots with a blowtorch to draw off the sap but I never liked that method.

Thanks for that - much appreciated.

Advertisement