Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

new toyota avensis

Options
  • 23-03-2007 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I am hoping to trade in my toyota avensis for a new one. A friend of mine has told me that as there is a new model coming out i may be advised to wait. does anybody have views on this or does anybody know when the new model is coming out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,418 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

there is a running change coming in a few weeks, however this only consists of a slightly different design on the standard alloy wheels. and isn't a new model. Minor change (traditional Toyota mid life changes model) has already been introduced since 2006. New model not due until mid 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,171 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

colm_mcm wrote:
    there is a running change coming in a few weeks, however this only consists of a slightly different design on the standard alloy wheels. and isn't a new model. Minor change (traditional Toyota mid life changes model) has already been introduced since 2006. New model not due until mid 2009.

Colm, I read not too long ago that the new Avensis is being launched sometime towards mid 2008 due to fresher rivals like the new Mondeo, Vectra, Mazda 6, etc being launched over the next 12 months. The new model is also getting a bit bigger to fill the gap left by the departed Camry in Europe. I cannot find the link to this info however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

bazz26 wrote:
    Colm, I read not too long ago that the new Avensis is being launched sometime towards mid 2008 due to fresher rivals like the new Mondeo, Vectra, Mazda 6, etc being launched over the next 12 months. The new model is also getting a bit bigger to fill the gap left by the departed Camry in Europe. I cannot find the link to this info however.

perhaps they might introduce a diesel auto! with the new avensis model,, volkswagen, opel, to name a few already do diesel autos...... hopefully toyota might follow suit.......

the new ford mondeo is also available in diesel auto...... are the diesel engines in the new mondeo PSA engines?
    avensis 2008
    http://www.followme.pl/20060109.html

another useful toyota site... http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/default1.asp?lang=En&mscssid= lots of useful info here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭maidhc

what_car wrote:
    the new ford mondeo is also available in diesel auto...... are the diesel engines in the new mondeo PSA engines?

The 1.8, 2.0 and 2.2 look to me to be "real" ford engines.

I'd be surpised to see a new Avensis in 2008. They could have done a lot more with the facelift if they were concerned the new model was lagging behind. Instead they fitted a different front bumper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I'd prefer a Mazda 6 anyday over a Toyota Avensis, Toyota's are as common as muck and look like they were designed by a three year old given a box of crayons. Overpriced Japanese Sh*te. At least the the Mazda 6 has some looks borrowed heavily from the Honda Accord and Acura TSX (USA CAR). I'd never drive a car from Asia, give me solid German engineering anyday, yank tanks are good too only for the ol' gasoline alcoholism.

• Advertisement

netwhizkid wrote:
    At least the the Mazda 6 has some looks borrowed heavily from the Honda Accord and Acura TSX (USA CAR). I'd never drive a car from Asia, give me solid German engineering anyday, yank tanks are good too only for the ol' gasoline alcoholism.

If Sammy Beckett ever wrote a play about cars it would have read like this I reckon.

netwhizkid wrote:
    Toyota's are as common as muck
    netwhizkid wrote:
    Overpriced Japanese Sh*te.

Fair enough that is your opinion but if they were "Overpriced Japanese ****e" and they are "common as muck" as you put then how are Toyota now the biggest car manufacturer in the world? Pure luck perhaps or maybe they know the secret to making a product that alot of people want.
    netwhizkid wrote:
    I'd never drive a car from Asia, give me solid German engineering anyday

You mean like VW who continue to live off off their image of bullit proof reliability for years instead of actually trying to retain it.

Also if you'd never drive a car from Asia how did you come to the conclusion of "Overpriced Japanese ****e"? Repeating what Jeremy Clarkson said maybe or perhaps an armchair expert?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 donzo112

toyota dealer doesnt know when a new model is coming but his hunch is 2008 as toyota tradionally replace model every five years

The previous Avensis was launched in 1997 and was sold through 2003. It was facelifted in 2001.

Bearing in mind that the current avensis isn't really inferior in any particular way to rest of its class, I can't see any change for a while.

Buying the first of a new model isn't always advisable either, unless you like to pay for the privilege of being a beta tester.

donzo112 wrote:
    toyota dealer doesnt know when a new model is coming but his hunch is 2008 as toyota tradionally replace model every five years

Sometimes dealers don't like to tell customers when a new model is on the horizon. In other cases they can be in the dark too.

In this case though it will be at least another twelve months before you see a new model. In the meantime you might see the standard equipment of the existing model increasing towards the end of the year to boost sales early next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

netwhizkid wrote:
    give me solid German engineering anyday
    care to elaborate?

I've gotten bored with the cars from Germany over the last few years apart from the Z4 & new TT, but the rest look like they were designed by Stevie Wonder

maidhc wrote:
    The previous Avensis was launched in 1997 and was sold through 2003. It was facelifted in 2001.

Just to be a bit over technical. :D

The original Avensis was launched in late 1997 available in Terra, Luna and Sol trim. The Aura model was added to the range in 1999 which sat below the Luna and had 15" wheels, chrome front grill and the option of either air conditioning or electric sunroof. The Avensis then got a facelift in Sept 2000 when the VVTi petrol and D4-D diesel engines replaced the old engines. In Jan 2003 a 1.6 petrol and 2.0 D4-D Luna model with full exterior colour coded bumpers/side strips, air conditioning, alloy wheels and front fog lights was added. The current Avensis was then launched in March 2003.

maidhc wrote:
    Buying the first of a new model isn't always advisable either, unless you like to pay for the privilege of being a beta tester.

Good advice, luckily enough there hasn't been that many issues with the early ones. The problems encountered were the inside of the front headlights misting up or worst case the bulb holder might have started to melt. Toyota acknoledged it was a poor design but didn't issue a recall on this issue, if it did occure they replaced the whole headlamp unit under warranty. There was also a possible issue last year where a part on the steering rack might suffer premature weakness. It only affected early models and the part was replaced on my car even though it was outside of warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

The Channel4 4Car site is predicting a new Avensis in their 'Future Models (2008)' section...

http://www.channel4.com/4car/future-models/2008-9.html

The 'Fifth Gear' website predicts 2009...

http://fifthgear.five.tv/jsp/5gmain.jsp?lnk=530

McSandwich wrote:
    The Channel4 4Car site is predicting a new Avensis in their 'Future Models (2008)' section...

http://www.channel4.com/4car/future-models/2008-9.html

From the website:
    The FSC concept (Tokyo 2005) hints that Toyota is to get out of the dwindling upper-medium hatch/saloon/estate sector and replace the current Avensis with a more versatile crossover-style model. FSC (Future Saloon Concept) is a Vel Satis-like station wagon/MPV. Hybrid versions are probable.

Even I know this is a complete guess, and probably a completely incorrect one. I'd put everything I own on the Avensis being replaced by another Avensis. Plenty people in the world don't want a "crossover-style model", for it to be worth Toyotas while to keep making cars for the "dwindling upper-medium hatch/saloon/estate sector", which I seriously doubt is dwindling at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

maidhc wrote:
    From the website:

Even I know this is a complete guess, and probably a completely incorrect one. I'd put everything I own on the Avensis being replaced by another Avensis. Plenty people in the world don't want a "crossover-style model", for it to be worth Toyotas while to keep making cars for the "dwindling upper-medium hatch/saloon/estate sector", which I seriously doubt is dwindling at all.

Yeah, the British motoring press are quite biased against Japanese metal, especially mainstream models. They are also a little myopic in assuming that UK trends reflect European/world trends.

Also while they'll be running (largely speculative) scoop photos of the forthcoming Euro models years in advance they'll pay scant regard to new Japanese models.

BTW, I laugh when I hear someone say they prefer German cars because of their 'quality'...

pburns wrote:
    BTW, I laugh when I hear someone say they prefer German cars because of their 'quality'...

Or when they say that the latest VW/Renault/Merc should be really reliable because it has a good quality plastic in the dash. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

pburns wrote:
    Yeah, the British motoring press are quite biased against Japanese metal, especially mainstream models. They are also a little myopic in assuming that UK trends reflect European/world trends.

Also while they'll be running (largely speculative) scoop photos of the forthcoming Euro models years in advance they'll pay scant regard to new Japanese models.

FSC are all well and good in the UK...they don't buy saloons, and AFAIK the new Corolla isn't even available in the UK market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

netwhizkid wrote:
    I'd prefer a Mazda 6 anyday over a Toyota Avensis, Toyota's are as common as muck and look like they were designed by a three year old given a box of crayons. Overpriced Japanese Sh*te. At least the the Mazda 6 has some looks borrowed heavily from the Honda Accord and Acura TSX (USA CAR). I'd never drive a car from Asia, give me solid German engineering anyday, yank tanks are good too only for the ol' gasoline alcoholism.

what are you on about!
    the mazda 6 are common as muck also!
    solid german? haha what a joke... look at issues re the mercedes build quality
    ...... now thats overpriced ****e ...............

jap cars are more reliable!

likely that the current model will be replaced in mid 2009. given that it was launched at the start of its life cycle over here (unlike the 02-07 Corolla) they should knock 6 years out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Dancing_Priest

Well, I work in a Toyota garage and we have no idea as to when a new Avensis might be coming out, but I would reckon it to be late 2008 at the earliest. As for dealers not knowing when a new model is coming out, Totota Ireland keep us in the dark as much as everyone else, If they have a large stock of an outgoing car they are happy to let us order our stock and get paid, and then announce to us that the new model will be on stream in a matter months. However when this happens we will allways tell a customer when a new model is coming out and give a decent discount.
    It really doesnt make sense to annoy someone who we are going to be dealing with for the next three years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

Well, I work in a Toyota garage and we have no idea as to when a new Avensis might be coming out, but I would reckon it to be late 2008 at the earliest. As for dealers not knowing when a new model is coming out, Totota Ireland keep us in the dark as much as everyone else, If they have a large stock of an outgoing car they are happy to let us order our stock and get paid, and then announce to us that the new model will be on stream in a matter months. However when this happens we will allways tell a customer when a new model is coming out and give a decent discount.
    It really doesnt make sense to annoy someone who we are going to be dealing with for the next three years.

Don't suppose you know if they're planning to release an auto D4D Avensis anytime soon??

If they do, it'll be mated to the 2.2 D-4D, so look out for an auto option on the Lexus IS220D as this is more likely to get it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

I like the style of the present Avensis but I notice the lack of hatchbacks and estates in this country as opposed to the UK. I looked at the price list for Ireland and saw that these two bodystyles are a minority here, only two trim levels for the hatchback and only one for the estate and engines seem to be limited as well. Ive never seen a white hatchback....even the garda cars are saloons.....

G Luxel wrote:
    I like the style of the present Avensis but I notice the lack of hatchbacks and estates in this country as opposed to the UK. I looked at the price list for Ireland and saw that these two bodystyles are a minority here, only two trim levels for the hatchback and only one for the estate and engines seem to be limited as well. Ive never seen a white hatchback....even the garda cars are saloons.....

Irish folks in general prefer saloons to hatchbacks especially in cars the size of the Avensis, etc. One factor also maybe the fact that the hatchback and estate varient costs more than the saloon when new over here. You will not get this back when you go to sell it however. Little or no demand means that a limited range is usually offered.

UK motorists prefer hatchbacks to saloons and usually there is no price difference between the two, in some cases the saloon varient is not even offered due to lack of demand. The current Corolla being an example.

there is a perception that saloons are more upmarket.
    nobody complains about the lack of Passat hatchback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭saphire

I'm about to start doing the rounds re changing my late 05 d4d aura avensis with 32km on the clock. Could ye give me a rough guide as to the cost of changing for a new similar model before i hit the garages. Thanks

Advertisement