Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting it all up...

Options
  • 23-03-2007 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

I have a Sony dvd player, sky+ box, original xbox and Samsung le37r72b which I'd like to connect up the best way possible.

Both the dvd and sky+ output RGB scart but the tv has only one RGB scart. Would an RGB scart to component be a good idea?

sky+ has svideo - how does this compare to RGB scart?

The xbox is using the advanced scart cable out for the purpose of connecting the audio up to my amp for 5.1 so I think I'll just use the second scart on the tv to connect that.

I'm also looking for somewhere to get good quality cables relatively cheaply (I need 2m/3m cables) - can anyone recommend any ebay sellers or other sources?

Any advice/opinions gratefully accepted :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

Anybody? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

TKK wrote:
    Both the dvd and sky+ output RGB scart but the tv has only one RGB scart. Would an RGB scart to component be a good idea?

no. very expensive, not worth it for that screen. which ever you watch the most or want the best quality on, use that with a good scart cable to the rgb socket.
    TKK wrote:
    sky+ has svideo - how does this compare to RGB scart?
    s-vid is quite impressive, hard to tell which is better but i would go with s-vid (just about)
    TKK wrote:
    Any advice/opinions gratefully accepted :)
    does your dvd player have a component output?? not composite, component.. 3 connections - red green blue. if so, buy a component cable for that, rgb scart for sky+ and then the other scart for xbox.

also, you could buy a new upscaling dvd player with HDMI and use that.

moe

Nah there's no component output on anything. Best I have is either svideo or RGB scart.

I intend to use the components out of my current pc in a HTPC when I upgrade towards the end of the year so I don't particularly want to go purchasing anything at present.

well then,.
    rgb scart - dvd.

s-vid - sky box

scart 2 - xbox.

then you can use component or HDMI for the HTPC when its ready

moe

Yep I'll go with something along those lines. Once the media pc is done the dvd player will be redundant anyway and I can use the dvi output on the pc.

I'm thinking that, since I have to get new cables anyway, an RGB scart to component wouldn't be that much more expensive than an RGB scart lead?

That way I could go for:
    DVD -> TV: RGB scart/component
    Sky -> TV: RGB scart or sVideo
    xbox -> TV: scart

Anyone know where to get good quality cables relatively cheaply?

• Advertisement

decent rgb scart cable, €40.
    basic RGB-component box, €100-ish

rgb to component box

Advertisement