Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road deaths on Dublin roads v country roads

Options
  • 23-03-2007 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭

When the RTE news list out the people that have died on the roads in the month, it seems apparent that less then 10% of the names are from Dublin, now given that 1/3 of the cars are in the the dublin region (I assume) can I take it that these are the stats in broad terms?
    As an aside does this get reflected in insurance quotes or does it balance out with all the fender benders in dublin and greater car crime?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭MLM

I guess its harder to kill people if they spend most of their time parked on the M50. I think a lot of it comes down to disposable income. If a certain percentage of a population can afford to pay more, an insurer or any commercial enterprise will try to get as much money out of them as possible, regardless of hard facts and statistics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Well insurance is slightly cheaper for a dublin address then meath for example

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Insurance quotes are generated using crash statistics, payout statistics and a little fairy dust.

A higher number of road deaths, doesn't necessarily precede a higher number of payouts. A single-vehicle, high-speed collision causing the death of the sole occupant, for example, can cost far less than a medium-speed, multiple-vehicle, no-fatality accident. Like the ones we get on the M50 every so often.

The number of collisions in the capital is higher than the rest of the country, but I don't know if it's proportionately higher. I would suspect it is.

Insurance quotes have changed though in recent years to reflect the nature of commuting. As dodgyme points out, because of the sheer volume of commutes between Dublin and the rest of Leinster, quotes for the rest of Leinster has gone up - this may not be because more people crash in those counties, but because more people with *addresses* in those counties are involved in collisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

If someone is outright killed its cheap enough for an insurance company. Its only when people come out with farcical stories of whiplash and fairytales about mental anguish and trauma that demand five figure payouts in money and not a trip to the psychiatrist like they should be asking for that the insurance quotes go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

seamus wrote:
    The number of collisions in the capital is higher than the rest of the country, but I don't know if it's proportionately higher. I would suspect it is.
    Lots of fender benders and minor injuries in Dublin, but fewer, but more serious accidents in rural areas. In 1997-2003, nearly all the reduction in road deaths nationally, actually occured in Dublin.
    If someone is outright killed its cheap enough for an insurance company. Its only when people come out with farcical stories of whiplash and fairytales about mental anguish and trauma that demand five figure payouts in money and not a trip to the psychiatrist like they should be asking for that the insurance quotes go up.
    So, I personally was in an accident in October 2000 and still have problems with traffic. I think your comment is grossly unfair. How would you feel if someone put you is such fear for your life that you saw your life expectancy as less than 3 seconds?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

I think there definately is some sort of difference between the two places and unfortunately it was tragically brought home on the saint patricks weekend . Of the 8 people killed on the roads that weekend , 5 were in here in donegal . And it is almost a similar story every weekend and I really dont want to sound like a cliche but it really is the "boy racers" that are the problem . They really have no cop on and there has been absolutely no success in reaching them in anyway .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Victor wrote:
    Lots of fender benders and minor injuries in Dublin, but fewer, but more serious accidents in rural areas. In 1997-2003, nearly all the reduction in road deaths nationally, actually occured in Dublin.

QUOTE]

OT

Is the above not the reason that they give for women having lower insurance premiums? They crash more often but as it's usually at low speed the payouts are less. :confused:
    Therefore shouldn't Dublin insurance be cheaper? Apart from all the scumbags who like to borrow cars without asking

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Del2005 wrote:
    Is the above not the reason that they give for women having lower insurance premiums? They crash more often but as it's usually at low speed the payouts are less. :confused:
    Essentially, yes. Women cause minor material damage. Men aged 17-24 wrap their cars around lamp posts, killing themselves and putting their mates in wheelchairs.*

* This is a generalisation, but has a huge amount of truth to it.
    Therefore shouldn't Dublin insurance be cheaper? Apart from all the scumbags who like to borrow cars without asking
    Aparently Dublin insurance is cheaper than some other areas, someone mentioned Meath was more expensive than Dublin.

Also note that an insurance settlement in Dublin may, on average, involve higher earners than elsewhere. There are lots of factors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Victor wrote:
    So, I personally was in an accident in October 2000 and still have problems with traffic. I think your comment is grossly unfair. How would you feel if someone put you is such fear for your life that you saw your life expectancy as less than 3 seconds?

Granted, Ive never been in a big accident or anything even coming close to it so I certainly couldn't say I know what its like, but it always seems to me that there is an American style sueing culture cropping up here more and more. Personal injury claims are hugely expensive, and my impression is that a lot of them are somewhat unnecessary, the basis being only a minor injury, coupled with revenge and money grabbing.

I did go overboard with my comment and apologies for that.

Advertisement