Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New tyres, is this possible?

Options
  • 23-03-2007 2:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

Got two new back tyres a couple of days ago. Since then it seems like the steering is much lighter. I wasn't sure about it first but it certainly feels much lighter cornering and when I give it some shoe. Not confident now on the bends at all. Too much pressure, maybe? Should I go back? Or am I just tired! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Does the vehicle in question have rear wheel drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Sorry, should have said. No, it's FWD. Golf GTI V.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Were the fronts rotated or inflated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

What make of tyres did u get? (also 18" or 17"?) and do u feel like the arse will is sliding or the nose?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Check the tyre pressures and also that they are fitted the correct way around if directional !

• Advertisement

The car was in for a service. The mechanic said he switched the fronts with the backs as the fronts were completely shot. A couple of days later I got new backs. Should I switch again now and put the new ones on the front?

They are Bridgestone 225/45 17". Feels like the nose sliding.

Come to think of it now, they guy who did the actual fitting was just a kid, took him 40 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Deffo check the direction of rotation !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sundodger5

All VW vehicles fitted with ESP have the best tyres on the front. It should be in the owners manual. this is the opposite for nearly all other cars on the road.
    Conclusion ESP new ones on the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

And don't forget one very simple issue:

Brandnew tyres are as smooth as a babies bottom, they need a few hundred miles of roughing up and running in before they reach optimum grip.

Right, I'll go back and get the new ones on the front.

The traction control was engaging too, but this has stopped so maybe they are running in a bit now.

Will I just swap the front wheels with the back or are they specific in which case I should swap the tyres not the wheels?

Thanks for all the info, priceless to a car ignoramus like me! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,086 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Definitely put the new ones on the front. Should be no need to swap tyres/rims. Be sure the wheels are balanced - get him to check it again anyway just to be sure - the wheels will be off anyway.

Not your ornery onager

Sorry for bringing up a 3 day old post...

Got it sorted. Moved the new tyres from the back the front. The left front had a good bit more wear than the right front which is practically new. No traction control engaging now and cornering feels a whole lot better.

I had an idea tyres had an effect, but didn't realise they could have such a dramatic effect on performance!

Ta for all the advice..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,086 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Suggest replacing that worn tyre.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement