Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Song Critique - Got to get out

Options
  • 22-03-2007 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Hey all,

Just found out about this forum..pretty cool by the way. Tis nice to hear what people are coming up with..It might breed some new inspiration!

This is just a tune that I was fiddling about with recorded on pc etc...

It's on acoustic, but I prob could have it on an electric with a bit more tempo...

It's called "got to get out"...

http://www.box.net/shared/bato0ml8za

Let me know what you think...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭cerebis

Is it that bad ?? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 SolMate

It's not so bad at all! I think it's just that the forum is new and not drawing much traffic yet. New here myself!

Okay, I'd like to see you posting the lyric as well as the MP3 link because I couldn't quite catch it all, and I think that feedback on our lyric writing can also help quite a lot.

I think the melody is a bit repetitive and needs breaking up...use bridges or choruses, instrumental breaks etc.

You can get a pretty decent backing track with bass, percusssion and all that just by using an arranger keyboard if you don't have access to a real backing band.

Hope you get a few more comments and good luck with the songwriting!

Gerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

One critisism i'd have with it is that its a but "punky" for just an acoustice guitar, know wa mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Paligulus

SolMate wrote:

I think the melody is a bit repetitive and needs breaking up...use bridges or choruses, instrumental breaks etc.

Gerry

I'd agree with this. A nice bridge or something would ahake things up a bit. I think the song would work well in a band setting. I dont mean adding walls of distorted guitar but just drums and a melodic bass line with a bit of clean electric over the top.

Good stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 iconboy

Maybe you don't need a full band ensemble - try to arrange around guitar, bass and hand drums. The guitar need more of a driving syncopation as it sounds like too many other songs. Try driving it using a bass motif throughot the song. Check out Michael Hedges and the way he drive counter-rhythms on one guitar - he's on the Windam Hill label.

I wouldn't pick at the start, but us e a strong strumming pattern instead and then drop slighty on the first verse to vary teh dynamics.

Posted a sample of Michael hedges here:

http://www.iconology.ie/audio/michael_hedges_clip.mp3

• Advertisement
Advertisement