Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Different processors - Help me understand ?

Options
  • 22-03-2007 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭

OK, so I'm planning to buy a new laptop with a budget of around €800 but I'm getting lost in the technology. I will use the laptop primarily for the following :
    1. Surfing the internet
    2. Managing my music library / ipod etc
    3. Managing my photo/video library and using photo apps such as Adobe Photoshop / Premiere elements
    4. Office applications
    5. Watching DVDs on long-haul flights
    Not really into the gaming side. . .

I currently use a desktop PC with a Pentium processor and 512MB RAM and I'm looking for something faster (particularly for Photoshop)

So, where should I focus my dollars to maximise my performance ? ?
    1. Processsor - Do I need Dual Core / Core 2 Duo (and what is the difference between the two ?). How do the AMD processors compare to the Intel ones ? Should I be looking for the best possible processor ?
    2. RAM - 1GB seems to be a minimum requirement for running Vista but do I need more . . ? There are Inspirons on the Dell Outlet site for €695 with 2GB RAM but with a single core processor
    3. Graphics Card - Will this make any difference to my performance if I am not playing games
    4. Is there anything else I need to think about ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Processsor - Do I need Dual Core / Core 2 Duo (and what is the difference between the two ?). How do the AMD processors compare to the Intel ones ? Should I be looking for the best possible processor ?
    Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Photoshop crunch a load of numbers? If so, for the sake of a a few more Euro, you would probably be better off with a Dual Core. See Wikipedia for info on Core 2 Duo. Briefly, Dual Core is a classification of processor, Core 2 Duo is an Intel brand that has dual cores.
    RAM - 1GB seems to be a minimum requirement for running Vista but do I need more . . ?
    The rule of thumb is the more the merrier. Generally speaking, you can never have enough memory.
    Graphics Card - Will this make any difference to my performance if I am not playing games
    It shouldn't. Then again, I don't know enough about Photoshop. I assume it doesn't use any advanced features of the graphics card.
    Is there anything else I need to think about
    Screen size? If you are doing lots of image/graphic work, is a larger screen a requirement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

IMO the main constraint on your spec is this

Watching DVDs on long-haul flights

You'll need a smaller laptop to fit in the small space of an aircraft seat/table. Also you'll need a machine that has long battery life. Most laptops only barely last the length of a DVD, 2~3hrs. Some other ones last much longer 5~8hrs but this generally means they have smaller screens etc.

Advertisement