Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you do ctyi again if you had the chance?

Options
  • 22-03-2007 1:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

Im past my ctyi days, and even though i loved every minute of the four years i went, looking back now i wouldnt do it again if i were given the oppurtunity, id be too afraid i wouldnt enjoy it and it would ruin my ctyi experience even though im only a year past being a nevermore...

anyone share my feelings? or completely disagree with me? or think im an idiot? im only incurring conversation im open to all opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I'd just feel too old I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

With the friends I made there again, yes. With new people of the age group 13-16, maybe not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Per Liefsonson

I enjoyed it at the time but I wouldn't do it again. Like pfm, I think I'd just feel too old for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I can go back, but I'm not, I do feel a bit too old for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Ah, how to summarise everything going through my brain concisely... I love it, I still get huge pangs of nostalgia for the place, I feel genuine longing, strong longing, whenever I wander through DCU...

...unless it's CTYI time, when I've gone and found a lot of students childish and kinda annoying, and isolated myself to the people I've gone to visit. I've seen flashes and sparks here and there of the stuff I remember with such love, but a lot of stuff that bothered me.

I'd probably go with what Bill said. If I could get two or three hundred of the people I went with to colonise somewhere and do the same stuff for two or three weeks, it'd be an absolute dream for me, but if I were invited to go back in 2007 or 2008 to teh CTYI that is, I'd decline methinks, with huge regret, not that it wouldn't be good enough, but that I couldn't love it without the people that made it what it was for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Thursday*

I do! Mwahahahaha. Yippee! Two more.

Piste, I'm really interested: what makes you not want to go back? Did you feel too old last time you were there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I'm in college now, it's a similar experence, so really, I wouldn't go back. I've had my days and while they were some of the best days of my life, they're in the past tense now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

I wouldn't do it again, disregarding the fact I'm in third year of college, I hated my last year in CTYI, just hated it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

...unless it's CTYI time, when I've gone and found a lot of students childish and kinda annoying.

Can you honestly say you were NEVER like that? Most CTYIers are that childish and immature in the first year or two in CTYI and then grow up, and end up hating that sort of behaviour. It's not really anything to do with CTYI, more to do with maturing, that's just part of the world outside CTYI too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

The reason we got away with most of the stuff we did back then was because we were young, childish and immature.

It was fun doing all the wierd and unusual stuff but I too feel a bit too old for it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Can you honestly say you were NEVER like that? Most CTYIers are that childish and immature in the first year or two in CTYI and then grow up, and end up hating that sort of behaviour. It's not really anything to do with CTYI, more to do with maturing, that's just part of the world outside CTYI too.

Is that relevant to whether I want to go back to being with people like that though? It really isn't. I don't like the kid I was anymore than in ten years I'll like the person I am now, just living with what makes me happy from day to day, and being in that kinda crowd now I wouldn't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Thursday* wrote:
    I do! Mwahahahaha. Yippee! Two more.

Piste, I'm really interested: what makes you not want to go back? Did you feel too old last time you were there?

I didn't really feel too old last year, but I did feel much older than some of the people there who might only have been a year or two younger than me, or even the same age. Also I think 16 is a little old to be told when to put out your lights and stuff. Then there's the fact that so many of my friends wouldn't be there and I'd like to spend some of my summer with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Jack Lynch

I went to the Summer reunion the year after I left CTYI, and I felt like a complete outcast. I didn't know half the people, and the people I did know had their own new friends.

What do people think of the idea of a CTYI reunion for a specific year or year bracket? Like say (using my own example), anyone who was there between '03 and '05?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Thursday*

Jack Lynch wrote:
    I went to the Summer reunion the year after I left CTYI, and I felt like a complete outcast. I didn't know half the people, and the people I did know had their own new friends.

What do people think of the idea of a CTYI reunion for a specific year or year bracket? Like say (using my own example), anyone who was there between '03 and '05?

That sounds like a good idea, that's what other kinds of reunions do. I was under the impression for a long time that that was the story with CTYI reunions.

You'd want to specify session as well and make a huge effort to let people know, cause it would be more in danger than most of turning out as one of those great three-person reunions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Is that relevant to whether I want to go back to being with people like that though? It really isn't. I don't like the kid I was anymore than in ten years I'll like the person I am now, just living with what makes me happy from day to day, and being in that kinda crowd now I wouldn't like.

Fair enough, I'm just questioning your position to complain about CTYIers.
    Jack Lynch wrote:

Basically meeting up with friends you knew back then? You could do that, just phone/text/email people about it, people do that all the time. But a reunion for a specific year won't work, anyone from any year who wants to turn up will, simple as that.

True, I suppose, but if they thought that they'd know nobody there, they might be less inclined to turn up

True, I suppose, but if they thought that they'd know nobody there, they might be less inclined to turn up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

i couldnt go back... it was so different everytime i went back, but i dont think i'd every enjoy myself as much as i did in s1 2003. the other two years i was just hoping to have half as much fun, which i did, now college is more than enough fun for me...
    i guess id consider being an RA or summat though...

Oh yeah, I'd go back as an RA no problem, but not as a student. I imagine a lot of people would be of the same opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

I wasn't going to come back this year, but sure it's my last year, I may as well.

• Advertisement

Have to say, I really love your signature. And I can count it as study towards the orals!

Studying is very like creative accountancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

Jack Lynch wrote:
    Have to say, I really love your signature. And I can count it as study towards the orals!

Studying is very like creative accountancy.

Thanks!

Ta failte romhat

Advertisement