Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

selling my home

Options
  • 21-03-2007 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

Ok the big sell up is happening and I'm a first timer at it.

We have had a few estate agents through the door and they are all recommending the €317,500 as first time buyers pay no stamp duty up to that price, they reckon the house is worth more but anymore than the above figure and the first time buyer pays the stamp duty on the whole purchase price not just the difference!!such a pain in the nether regions.

anyways what I need help with is what were your experiences when selling your house and how did the whole procedure go and would you recommend a seller for me?please.

Most charge 1% plus advertisment costs and "nicemove.ie" charge an ad fee but a fixed fee of €1200(ish) no matter the price of your house not bad but are they any good.

A house near to me that they are trying to sell has remained on the market for some time but sadly the house was the scene of a brutal stabbing a year or so ago so as you can imagine not too many people lining up to buy that one(out of courisity would you?), so as you can see I have no direct example of their selling prowess. The rest "sherryfitz" and "dng" have the reputation but high costs? where can I do it myself on line and are those sites any good???

any help is gratefully appreciated
    gerry

ps anyone wanna buy a house??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭nicolo

wheres your house?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

nicolo wrote:
    wheres your house?
    tallaght

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

out of courisity would you?

I'd probably be curious to see the house. But probably because I'm morbid!

• Advertisement

daveirl wrote:
    sorry bout that I even confused myself

If I sell my house for €317,500 the buyer, mostly a first time buyer, will pay no stamp duty

The house would probably sell for about €330k but now the first time buyer has to pay stamp duty of about €12k total 312K

now why would I make my house less attractive when rates are on the way up at least twice in the next year and most other houses around me are selling for that. now unless a few people see my house and think that its worth it then its up to them to bid for it however I cant see that happening with house prices the way they are they can move and buy a house for similar money even though my house might be the better option as its ready to live in.

Also investors are currently staying away from houses as the rental they can command versus the rental they need are vastly differnet against their favour

I'd probably be curious to see the house. But probably because I'm morbid!
    thinkin the very same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭oleras

If I sell my house for €317,500 the buyer, mostly a first time buyer, will pay no stamp duty

The house would probably sell for about €330k but now the first time buyer has to pay stamp duty of about €12k total 312K

so sell it for 330k and do a "deal " with the buyer that you will leave the cooker, for say......12.5k ! 2 seperate transactions then......and they get out of stamp duty.

daveirl wrote:
    you are very correct but the estate agents are reluctant to put it up at a price higher than the stamp duty threshold because if it doesnt sell they dont get comission.

we got the house valued for insurance reasons 5 months ago and the rebuild value(we have done a bit of work on the house but mostly cosmetic) and hence the re sale value was calculated at €328k, however would you buy this house, as a first time buyer, knowing that another near by was selling at €317500 or less when in total this house would end up costing you the buyer over €350k

some first time buyers just want to get a foot on the ladder and cheaply so they will go for the cheaper and with property prices dropping/stagnating its best tha we dont price ourselves out of the market

• Advertisement

oleras wrote:
    so sell it for 330k and do a "deal " with the buyer that you will leave the cooker, for say......12.5k ! 2 seperate transactions then......and they get out of stamp duty.
    oh i considered that but how do i get in contact with the buyer to do such a deal? through the agents? it would be great if i could

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

A house near to me that they are trying to sell has remained on the market for some time but sadly the house was the scene of a brutal stabbing a year or so ago

Is the body still there?

Even a bit of it?

Zebra3 wrote:
    Is the body still there?

Even a bit of it?
    probably its spirit is all that remains

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I'll give you a hot cross bun, half a bottle of Simple toner, a broken stapler and an open bag of Sensations Thai Sweet Chilli crisps.

When do I move in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

daveirl wrote:

davirl is just being a bit of a pedant - but he's dead right

Good luck with the sale all the same, try propertypin.com and askaboutmoney.com for property tips in ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

sorry bout that I even confused myself

now why would I make my house less attractive when rates are on the way up at least twice in the next year and most other houses around me are selling for that. now unless a few people see my house and think that its worth it then its up to them to bid for it however I cant see that happening with house prices the way they are they can move and buy a house for similar money even though my house might be the better option as its ready to live in.

Also investors are currently staying away from houses as the rental they can command versus the rental they need are vastly differnet against their favour

Or....the sale will be easier for the estate agent, who YOU are paying, and who will get almost the same fee percentage of 317.5k as 330k, except the estate agent, who YOU are paying, will have to try much harder to sell for the price that YOU want.

Get an independent valuation, and look at the going market rates.

E.g., Estate agent fee is say 1%. 1% of 317.5k = 3,175
    1% of 330k = 3,300.

So, they would only get €125 quid extra for a LOT more work. They already have 95% of their fee for minimal work by pricing under the market rate. If it sells in one week at the lower price and takes an extra 4 to sell at the higher, there is little incentive for the estate agent to work much at all.

However, it is only €125 to them, and they can spend the next four weeks making four more easy sales, but it is €12,500 to you.

At least, that's how I see things in Paranoid Land (TM). (!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Good man Gerry, I see you're getting the ball rolling. Even though (I have to admit), I was a bit reluctant to see you do so, I'm seeing the logic behind it now. I only hope you get the price you are looking for.

I think we should start a "Buy Gerry's house" campaign :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

This really shouldn't be posted in this forum. AH is not the place I'd go, or recommend anyone else to go, for property advice. Moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

I'm with daveIrl. If it wont well at 330, it's because it's not worth 330. There is no doubt that the market has slowed down, but people are still buying, just most people aren't willing to pay the over inflated prices that most people believe thier house is / was worth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Stop your worrying over 12,500.

Put the house on the market at the esatate agents Price. Some people set there filters based on that figure anything above they wont consider. Remember what you put as the asking price is not always what you will sell for

On that not you could get the estate agent to do it for 1% plus vat all in no expenses, Personnally Bargain him to .75 if you can. However bear in mind they probably are getting loads of propertys on there books.

The other thing is you are selling in a falling market so you need to work a damn sight harder to sell. The price you want is possible

On this forum there are several recommendations on selling a house , loook them up and take them.

Best of Luck

stepbar wrote:
    Good man Gerry, I see you're getting the ball rolling. Even though (I have to admit), I was a bit reluctant to see you do so, I'm seeing the logic behind it now. I only hope you get the price you are looking for.

I think we should start a "Buy Gerry's house" campaign :D
    ha ha thanks mate but i know im desperate to sell but not that desperate to tie up boards time with a campaign, like the idea though.

Smoggy wrote:
    I'm with daveIrl. If it wont well at 330, it's because it's not worth 330. There is no doubt that the market has slowed down, but people are still buying, just most people aren't willing to pay the over inflated prices that most people believe thier house is / was worth.
    we got an auditor for an insurance company to value the house a few months ago and his claim is that the rebuild value of the house makes the retail of the house about €328. we selected the auditor not the insurance company.

However I know that the property value is only relative to what the buyer is set to pay based on market conditions at the time and similar type housing and its retail value

alas im dismayed that the work and effort we have put into the house is to no avail, other than to make it walk in property, and to guarentee that it can command the celing value for first time buyers due to stamp duty but not a penny(cent) more.

im using an estate agent as I have no time to be selling it myself, plus when we went to buy this house the last place we looked at was the private seller sites etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

daveirl wrote:

Exactly- as Publius Sirus 2000BC put it- "Everything is worth what its purchaser is willing to pay for it"..........

oleras wrote:

Unfortunately solicitors are legally bound to report the total transaction to the Revenue Commissioners (a few too many people have been playing that game). There is a special section dealing solely with investigating these errr expensive fixtures and fittings........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭SteM

oleras wrote:

If it was that easy do you not think everyone would be doing it?

To the OP, the agents you have spoken to have a point. We've been looking at houses around Tallaght and have seen loads. They're all under the €317,500 mark (3 bed semis, bathroom ensuite) and seem to be coming down in price. One place we saw Tuesday last week had come down €5000 when we saw it a second time last night. If you really need to shift the place quickly you might have to go under the magic €317,500 mark, it really does mean a lot to first time buyers.

smccarrick wrote:
    Unfortunately solicitors are legally bound to report the total transaction to the Revenue Commissioners (a few too many people have been playing that game). There is a special section dealing solely with investigating these errr expensive fixtures and fittings........

Not if it is a "private" transaction between the seller and buyer, nothing goes through the solicitor.
    Perfect scenario for op is some rich guy buys the property for one of their children, does not want to get into the realm of stamp duty as the investors son/daughter would be a first time buyer and agrees to buy your fixtures and fittings for x amount. Nothing through the solicitor.

SteM wrote:
    If it was that easy do you not think everyone would be doing it?

well i did, so why not everyone else ?

oleras wrote:
    Not if it is a "private" transaction between the seller and buyer, nothing goes through the solicitor.
    Perfect scenario for op is some rich guy buys the property for one of their children, does not want to get into the realm of stamp duty as the investors son/daughter would be a first time buyer and agrees to buy your fixtures and fittings for x amount. Nothing through the solicitor.

The conveyancing and transfer of title deeds is a legal matter undertaken by the solicitors of the two parties. The manner in which the 'deal' is agreed is immaterial. Solicitors are obliged to report the details of the transaction to the Revenue Commissioners.

• Advertisement

Advertisement