Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quicker to avoid the M50 when entering Dublin on the N7? Need Route Advice!

Options
  • 21-03-2007 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm going to be traveling from Dublin (Terenure) to Portlaoise twice a month for the next year. I'm going down there at 1pm so the traffic is fine on the way down. I go out through Templeogue then Spawell on to the M50 North and get on the N7 at the Red Cow roundabout. This seems to be the quickest way and at 1pm there are no delays.

When I'm coming back at about 4pm I'm finding the taffic pretty bad coming up to the Red Cow roundabout. Well before this I seem to remember seeing a turn off from the N7 signposted for Tallaght, I think it was the N82 but I'm not sure. Would it be quicker to get off the N7 earlier and drive back to Terenure from Tallaght, I could avoid the M50 altogether that way. I will mostly be returning to Dublin at about 3:30 to 4pm.

Any advice from someone more familiar with the route would be much appreciated, I'd like to avoid the traffic as much as possible.

Thanks in advance,
    Robert

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Most likely yes. You are probably better using the Tallaght Bypass on the way out as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

You may be able to hop off the N7 at citywest and get onto the Tallaght By pass. You'll still hit traffic but it shouldn't be as bad. You could also turn right at Newlands cross but this will get you stuck in traffic around the square.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I wouldn't come off at the N82, as you might get stuck in Jobstown.

You may be better taking a right off at Newland's Cross (Bewley's Hotel), down the Belgard road, and onto the N81. Then it's straight through to Terenure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭blobert

Thanks guys, any further advice would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Turn right at newlands cross (Belgard Road) and straight all the way will bring you to Tallaght by-pass. If the traffic is heavy on Belgarde Road you can take a left to go through Kilnamanagh. Follow the road (Mayberry Road) straight to the end (you should pass Dunnes Stores on the left near then end), then turn right onto the Greenhills road. Follow this to the end and it will lead you out onto the Tallaght by-pass.

Here's a map
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=dublin&layer=&ie=UTF8&z=15&ll=53.293926,-6.359324&spn=0.018469,0.054245&om=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

blobert wrote:
    Hello,

I'm going to be traveling from Dublin (Terenure) to Portlaoise twice a month for the next year. I'm going down there at 1pm so the traffic is fine on the way down. I go out through Templeogue then Spawell on to the M50 North and get on the N7 at the Red Cow roundabout. This seems to be the quickest way and at 1pm there are no delays.

When I'm coming back at about 4pm I'm finding the taffic pretty bad coming up to the Red Cow roundabout. Well before this I seem to remember seeing a turn off from the N7 signposted for Tallaght, I think it was the N82 but I'm not sure. Would it be quicker to get off the N7 earlier and drive back to Terenure from Tallaght, I could avoid the M50 altogether that way. I will mostly be returning to Dublin at about 3:30 to 4pm.

Any advice from someone more familiar with the route would be much appreciated, I'd like to avoid the traffic as much as possible.

Thanks in advance,
    Robert

Robert, the turn off I use around that area that time of the day is the N 82.
    I would suggest you turn off there. At that time of the day, you know yourself, you won't get anywhere quick towards the Red Cow and on bad days, even Newlands.

Make your way up through Citywest and head up through the estate. When you come to Roundabout 6 (It's the one that is out of the factory area, take the first turn off and head up this road. You then take the first exit at the next roundabout (A pub called Heffernans is here) and take this road; it will bring you onto the Cheeverstown Road and down to the Tallaght By Pass that way. Alone, this way is shorter in distance but you will save 20 minutes+ easy using this cut through.

Advertisement