Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[PR] RSA Launch New Rules of the Road Book

Options
  • 21-03-2007 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

RSA Launch New Rules of the Road Book

- Irish Insurance Federation to sponsor delivery of Rules of the Road to
    all homes in the country -

The Road Safety Authority (RSA) has launched the new “Rules of the Road”, today Wednesday 21st March, 2007.

ROTR Cover Sheet

The new and much expanded book was formally launched by the Minster for Transport, Mr. Martin Cullen TD, and takes into account the major changes in road use that have taken place in the last decade.

“When the RSA was established in September 2006 we set about updating the Rules of the Road as a major priority,” explained Gay Byrne, Chairman RSA.

“The RSA concentrated, first, last and always, on making the Rules of the Road understandable. It uses plain English and has a stamp of approval from the National Adult Literacy Association. It also uses illustrations to a greater degree to assist a reader’s understanding of the rules. It’s painless self-education and recommended reading for everyone not just those taking a driving test. It can – and will – save lives.”

Formally launching the new publication, Minister for Transport, Martin Cullen TD said: "This 228-page document sets out clearly and concisely the duties, responsibilities and prohibitions which road traffic law imposes upon all road users. It also promotes safety and courtesy in the use of our roads. Most road users only read the Rules of the Road when faced with the prospect of sitting their driving test, but all road users should be attentive to the need to constantly update their knowledge and skills and to be aware of changes to road traffic legislation”.

The Minister also said: "Road user responsibility and a change in driver attitudes and behaviour, coupled with the implementation of strong road safety policies, is the only way to achieve targeted reductions in road deaths".

Speaking at the launch Garda Commissioner, Noel Conroy said "The 'Rules of the Road' provides the theory and, if learned and put into practice, provides the foundation for safe driving. However, learning the 'Rules of the Road' is not a panacea in terms of enhancing road safety. Driving is a skill developed over a lifetime."

John O'Neill, President of the Irish Insurance Federation and Chief Executive Officer, AXA Ireland Ltd said "The Irish Insurance Federation has committed to getting a copy of the Rules of the Road into every household in the country, all 1.7 million of them."

But he cautioned, "This is not a time for complacency. If we can learn anything from the tragic loss of life on our roads last weekend it is that we are only at the beginning of developing a safe driving culture in Ireland and until that culture is firmly established we will continue to have such terrible weekends. To get where we want to be we must have and then implement an integrated strategy encompassing high-visibility enforcement, education, good roads and appropriate legislation."

Some of the changes in road use that have been included in the new 228 page Rules of the Road are
    • The Driver Theory Test
    • Metric speed limits and stopping distances
    • The National Car Test (NCT)
    • Luas light rail
    • Penalty points system
    • Mandatory Alcohol Testing
    • New child seatbelt laws
    • Tunnels
    • New road signage

Alongside these changes, Ireland now has a longer network of motorways and dual carriageways. The new Rules of the Road, has an expanded section on these subjects.

The purpose of the rules of the road is to save lives and prevent injury on our roads. The rules apply to all road users; drivers, pedestrians, motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders.

The Rules of the Road book uses a how to approach and covers many of the manoeuvres identified as factors in a road crash. It uses three methods to set down clearly and concisely how the law applies to all road users.
    • It uses must and must not to draw attention to behaviour the law clearly demands or forbids.
    • It uses terms such as should and should not to tell you how best to act in a situation where no legal rule is in place.
    • It illustrates and describes traffic lights, road markings and signs provided to regulate traffic.

The new publication also includes a handy glossary and index for ease of use.

The rules comply with and reflect the Road Traffic Law as at 1st March 2007. Where planned changes in the law are known with certainty a comment is included in the appropriate section to ensure the content reflects them.

Copies of the new Rules of the Road book priced €4.00 are available today 21st March from the Government Publications Office in Molesworth Street, Dublin 2. Copies will be available from leading bookshops from next week.

The Rules of the Road will be published in English and Irish and the RSA has plans to translate it into Russian, Chinese Mandarin and Polish.

A sample Chapter of the new Rules of the Road can be viewed on the RSA’s website www.rsa.ie.

ENDS

For further information please contact:
    Brian Farrell, Communications Manager, Road Safety Authority, Tel: 086-3881009
    Or
    Ger Kenny, Carr Communications, 087 – 2488393
    Or
    Niall Doyle, Corporate Affairs Manager, IIF, 01 6761820 / 086 2867529

Hmm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Thomas_B

I contacted the RSA today as I wanted to check something in the new Rules of the Road, and I presumed that since it wasn't up on their website, they'd be putting it up over the next few days.

RSA replied that they had absolutely no plans to publish the full RotR online beyond the 20-page summary currently on their site.

Very frustrating given that there are not insignificant resources being allocated to posting it out to everyone; you'd think that they could stretch to a lousy pdf on their website.

If anyone wants to contact the RSA about this issue, their lo-call number is 1890 506080 and the email is info@rsa.ie

I have asked them to email me a copy of the the RotR and to consider putting it on their site. If I do get a soft copy I'll post a link here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Does it still have the unlawful cycle-track sign....the one with the bike and two pedestrians?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

Does it still have the unlawful cycle-track sign....the one with the bike and two pedestrians?

From the last draft copy I saw no.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,301 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thomas_B wrote:
    I contacted the RSA today as I wanted to check something in the new Rules of the Road, and I presumed that since it wasn't up on their website, they'd be putting it up over the next few days.

RSA replied that they had absolutely no plans to publish the full RotR online beyond the 20-page summary currently on their site.

Very frustrating given that there are not insignificant resources being allocated to posting it out to everyone; you'd think that they could stretch to a lousy pdf on their website.

If anyone wants to contact the RSA about this issue, their lo-call number is 1890 506080 and the email is info@rsa.ie

I have asked them to email me a copy of the the RotR and to consider putting it on their site. If I do get a soft copy I'll post a link here.
    Send me a private message of the e-mail.

• Advertisement

Press Release: Dublin Cyclists Refuse to Endorse New Rules of the Road Publication

Date: 21 March 2007
    For immediate use

The Dublin Cycling Campaign (DCC) is unable to endorse the revised Rules of the Road publication issued by the Road Safety Authority principally because it fails to properly address the safety hierarchy that should be applied to creating conditions for safer roads for all road users.

The Dublin Cycling Campaign made two submissions to the Road Safety Authority during the public consultation phase of the revision process. Its observations and recommendations have been largely ignored.

In a safety hierarchy analysis the safety needs of the most vulnerable road users must be give highest priority -- pedestrians and cyclists are the most vulnerable of road users. This is in line with the government's Road Safety Strategy 2004-06 and that of the EU. However pedestrians choose when, how, and where they cross a road and are generally only fleetingly exposed to danger but cyclists are on-road traffic and are exposed to danger throughout their journeys.

Cyclists have no protection against impact in a road traffic accident - no steel body cage; no seat-belts; no air-bags. The outcomes are invariably serious for the rider.

Cyclists are most at risk of injury and death at junctions and roundabouts. The Rules of the Road provide an inadequate treatment of how cyclists and drivers of vehicles are to interact safely at these facilities.

A disproportionate number of deaths of cyclists are caused by accidents involving heavy goods vehicles (HGVs). The revised Rules of the Road is silent on this issue.

Further information: Dr. Mike McKillen (Chairman DCC) at 01-*** **** (W); 087-*** **** or 01-*** **** (H)
    Shane Foran (Chairman Galway Cycling Campaign) at 087-*** **** (after 12:00 hrs Wednesday)

The DCC is a voluntary organisation that represents commuter cyclists in Dublin

The last draft I saw still had a number of problems which effect cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

It is idiotic that they do not have this online.

How backward and "Ireland Inc."

Cullen launches new Rules of the Road Book
    21 March 2007

* 228-page document, edited and printed by the Road Safety Authority
    * Copies to be distributed to every household in the State

Minister for Transport, Martin Cullen TD today (Wednesday 21 March 2007) formally launched a new edition of the Rules of the Road. The document issued under the Road Traffic Acts, has been edited and printed by the Road Safety Authority.

The publication's 25 individual sections outline all aspects of road use, good driving practice and road safety. Rules for motorcyclists, cyclists and pedestrians are also included. Changes too in road use over the last number of years have also been incorporated across various chapters such as the driver theory test; metric speed limits; explanations of the penalty points that are now in place; recent child seat belt laws and rules where the on-street running of trams such as the LUAS are in operation.

Speaking at this morning's launch, Minister Cullen said: "This new publication, which has been approved by NALA the National Adult Literacy Agency, for its use of plain English, contains information that is relevant to all road users. It sets out clearly and concisely the duties, responsibilities and prohibitions which road traffic law imposes upon all road users. It also promotes safety and courtesy in the use of our roads.

"Most road users only read the Rules of the Road when faced with the prospect of sitting their driving test, but all road users should be attentive to the need to constantly update their knowledge and skills and to be aware of changes to road traffic legislation".

The Minister added: "Reducing the number of deaths and injuries that occur on Irish roads is a responsibility we all share. The Rules of the Road can help us discharge that responsibility. For that reason, a copy of this publication will be sent to the 1.7 million households in the State. I wish to thank the Irish Insurance Federation for their funding which will enable the Road Safety Authority to arrange this nationwide distribution".

Acting to minimise the potential for tragic incidents is the immediate responsibility of all road users, the Minister said. "Reducing the general level of risk is the particular challenge of Government and those agencies such as the Road Safety Authority and the Gardaí who are tasked with the promotion of road safety and the enforcement and application of traffic laws," he said. "This Government is committed to reducing the numbers of deaths on our roads. In addition to the establishment in 2006 of the RSA, last year we also legislated for the introduction of Mandatory Alcohol Testing (referred to as MAT); we are investing in new, improved and safer roads - the dual carriageways and the motorways that the National Roads Authority are building right across the country are seven times safer than the roads they are replacing. The Penalty Points system was extended with effect from April featuring 35 separate offences with mobile phones added from last September. We have also established a dedicated Garda Traffic Corps and €10 million has also been allocated to the RSA to specifically reduce driving test waiting times".

The Minister expressed his deep regret at the tragic loss of life on Irish roads over the St. Patrick's holiday weekend.

He said: "Road user responsibility and a change in driver attitudes and behaviour, coupled with the implementation of strong road safety policies, is the only way to achieve targeted reductions in road deaths".

Editor's note:

Copies of the new Rules of the Road book priced €4.00 are available from today, 21 March 2007 from the Government Publications Office in Molesworth Street, Dublin 2. Copies will be available from leading bookshops from next week.

The Rules of the Road will be published in English and Irish and the RSA has plans to translate it into Russian, Chinese Mandarin and Polish.

A sample chapter of the new Rules of the Road can be viewed on the RSA's website www.rsa.ie

Issued by: Michelle Hoctor, 087 8563070

Veronica Scanlan, 087 6430622

And from the minister...

When the going gets tough, the tough call Madam :eek:

Irish Times, Saturday March 24:

NO ONLINE RULES OF THE ROAD?
    Madam, - I welcome the publication of the 2007 Rules of the Road. However, could I ask Gay Byrne to make it available online for free download via the Road Safety Authority website? This, rather than the local bookshop, would be the medium of choice for many people. - Yours, etc,

COLIN ROGAN, Bushy Park Road, Dublin 6.

Madam, - I contacted the Road Safety Authority to ask when it was going to put the new Rules of the Road on its website. I was informed there were no plans to do so, although a CD-ROM version may be produced. This shows a disappointing level of commitment to improving driver education, especially among younger drivers, some of whom were seven years old when producing CD-ROMs was last considered cutting-edge communications technology.

Gay Byrne and his colleagues clearly have a bit of work to do in connecting with the younger and more technologically literate generation of Irish drivers. - Yours, etc,

THOMAS BIBBY, Great Western Avenue, Phibsborough, Dublin 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Good stuff! Good on the letter writers and the Irish Times for printing them! I like the remark about CD-ROMs; considering a driver age of 18, you could probably even say an age of five (1994) when CD-ROMs were cutting edge.

Although on an entirely unrelated tack, 1994 doesn't seem so long ago, so the above comparison is utterly depressing to most of us!

Still waiting myself for a reply to my queries from the RSA and Minister for Transport (no great hopes of a response from the latter's office!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

emailed the RSA yesterday to complain and they replied this morning with....
    Dear Philip
    Thank you for contacting the Road Safety Authority. You will be
    delighted to hear that indeed we have plans to download the Rules of the
    Road and work is under way at the moment and will be available on the
    internet shortly.

Quick change of heart or mistake :confused:

Aha!

http://www.rsa.ie/Home/upload/File/ROTR_2007.pdf (warning: PDF, approx. 5 megabytes)

I _think_ this is the final version. Now all they have to do is link to it from somewhere on their site! (edit: they've done it now -- look at www.rsa.ie for the link)

Like so many other state angencies, they fob you off until you go
    public and then they u-turn. This is why voluntary bodies like
    Platform 11 and the Dublin Cycling Campaign are so important in
    Ireland.

Just as a matter of record, here's the correspondance I had with the
    RSA last week before I went whinging to Madam:
    To: RSA
    subject Electronic copy of the Rules of the Road

Dear X,

Thank you for being so helpful on the phone to me today.

As I mentioned, I'm looking for an electronic copy of the Rules of the
    Road, and I would appreciate it if someone could email it to me.

My email address is X

I would also plead with the Authority to put a copy of the Rules of
    the Road on your website. It would save costs and allow members of
    the public to access this very important document without charge.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Thomas Bibby.

And the response:
    to Thomas Bibby

subject RE: Electronic copy of the Rules of the Road
    Dear Thomas,

Thank you for your email, I will speak with Mr Michael Rowland, Director
    of Road Safety and Research regarding your request and I will come back
    to you asap.

Kind regards

followed by:
    Dear Thomas,
    I have spoken with Michael Rowland and he asked me to let you know
    that the RSA through the Irish Insurance Federation will be
    distributing the Rules of the Road free of charge to every household
    in the country.

The option of electronic distribution was considered and we are
    looking at developing a CD version in the near future.

Many thanks

Kind regards

• Registered Users Posts: 78,301 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think there was a change of mind, but I think they also wanted to do some "sucking and seeing" - they've degraded the photos to reduce file size and having the whole country downloading last Friday would have killed any server. Fair dues to them for changing their minds - many in the DoT don't respond to suggestions.

I'm working on an errata list if anyone has anything.

Advertisement