Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New laptop buying quick questions!!

Options
  • 21-03-2007 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭

Ok this is the first time ive bought a laptop or anything computerish. I just need it for word, listening to music, internet browsing, the odd crappy game etc. and I need to have a few questions answered:

1) Does a duo core processor eat up more battery than an AMD sempron?

2) Would the intel duo core (the asic one) be better than a Sempron 2400+

3) Does trulife make much of a difference?

4) Would upgrading from 512ram to 1gig be worth it for someone who will probly never use it?

5) And the house we have already has a laptop, but we just plug the wire (telephone type wire) from the modem into it. I want to make the house wireless, would the dell laptops all have a decent wireless card? How does one go about setting up the house so its wireless?
    Do all new laptops have the connection to plug the internet cable into?
    6)If it has a wireless thing does that mean I can pick up a signal and browse the net in wifi places?

7) Is there much of a difference between a 4cell and 6 cell battery?

I think that’s all, I know its basic but I need them answered!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

1.Yes
    2.Yes
    3. Only if you like shiney screens but higher resolution too
    4. If running any version of Vista then yes it would be worth it.
    5. Yes all laptops from Dell have wireless...get Broadband from a supplier (ie.Eircom) they will send out a wireless router too you,set it up (its easy) and bang you have wireless!
    6. Yes
    7. Not really ...just longer battery life....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

All your questions answered above but you have to put them into perspective. Yes a Core 2 Duo is better then a Sempron - speaking of which I'd say that's 3400+, not 2400+ - but not noticably so at normal stuff like browsing the internet or listening to music at all, or even games really unless you're talking about the very latest. (which won't work anyway, as I doubt your machine will have a card capable of exceeding the limits of a Sempron 3400+)

You mention games - any Sempron based machine will come with onboard Ati graphics whereas Core 2 Duo machines, in the budget range, will be equipped with the GMA950. In this regard, the Ati/Sempron combo is far superior in regards to games. Something like the Dell 1501 in my opinion is by far the best rounded up machine for a basic user - about 550 for Sempron 3400+, 1Gb Ram, X1150 graphics, or 650 to change it to the X2 Processor, Amds dual core processor.

What's your budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Lamps

The inspiron 1501 is what i was looking at, they have a special that ends tommorrow that includes a free bag etc but its 1gig ram, the sempron i mentioned, 80gig hardrive, 15.2 screen for 550euro, i think ill buy it tonight while the bag and upgraded hardrive is included.

The dual core processor is an extra 50euro. My budget is a very maximum of 600, but i think il go for the sempron system which is 550? Cant beat that really. The only games i'll really play are stuff like football manager. So this sytem will be grand for me you reckon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

More then enough. :)

Football Manager would actually run on just about....anything, really. The Sempron again, is fine for what you need it for but Dual Core for a mere 50 extra is quite good - would also add somewhat to the laptops resale value.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Lamps

Thanks Havok, the duo core is actually only 23euro more as delivery is free on this special they are doing in the paper this week. (the laptop for 599).

Im sure they will have a new special tomorrow with a more suited spec for me, but im not prepared to risk it losing out on todays offer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Lamps wrote:
    Thanks Havok, the duo core is actually only 23euro more as delivery is free on this special they are doing in the paper this week. (the laptop for 599).

Im sure they will have a new special tomorrow with a more suited spec for me, but im not prepared to risk it losing out on todays offer!

Im the same, but ive decided to hold out and wait for them to do a free double your memory offer that they do. So i can then buy the 470 system with a gig of ram instead of 512mb.

But you wont get the carry case or extra 20gig hardrive. I'll also be keeping an eye on the outlet.

Advertisement