Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was Happening with the Buses this morning?

Options
  • 21-03-2007 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭

Hey, I take a scooter to work, so I don't have to rely on buses anymore, thank God, but today something weird seemed to be happening.

As I came off Collins Ave, toward the Viscount, I couldn't help but notice that the Q for the bus stretched half way down the road.
    There was easily 70/80+ people waiting.

I continued down past the Skylon hotel and noticed loads of people walking. Honestly, the path was full of walkers from the viscount to Whitehall Garda station. I don't think I have ever seen that before.

I drove up Griffith Ave and turned right, making my way past Marino college. Every bus stop I passed had a huge Q of people waiting for a bus, and at a couple of bus stops I saw people holding signs that said, 'We Need More Buses - NOW!".

So what was going on? Was there an unofficial strike or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Traffic was mad this morning because of some **** up at the port tunnell, so I'd say the buses were just delayed badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Thats right. I heard there was a crash in the port tunnel and it had to be closed down. for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Crash and some "malfunction " in the Tunnel...... city fooked up big time!!

Explanations will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

stovelid wrote:
    Thats right. I heard there was a crash in the port tunnel and it had to be closed down. for a while
    Well, it had to be closed down for unknown reasons this morning, and then about 8.30, somebody went and crashed at the entrance, pretty much bringing already chaotic traffic to a complete standstill.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Yeah I heard on the radio that the City Centre HGV ban had been lifted for the morning...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

So maybe the guys with the 'We Need More Buses - NOW!' signs just carry those signs with them everywhere they go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I hate to say it but - on your bike. I know its not their fault but the bus is an unreliable way to get anywhere. Dont you just hate the feeling of being an hour late for work bacause of the bus. Sooner the traffic gets banned from the city the better. Then cyclists, buses and pedestrians can rule the streets and the gridlock should be eased.

On an unrelated point Finna Fail must be quaking in their boots as one disaster after another shows how clueless they are. I mean they cant be blamed for someone crashing their car but that port tunnel has been a laughing stock from the day it opened with only one working lane and then banning cars from it. Also the fact lorries coming from the southside have to come all the way to the northside to get to the southside thereby adding to the already miserable traffic on both sides of the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,258 ✭✭✭markpb

Malahide road was just as bad this morning. My bike is broken so I took the bus to work and spent most of my time sitting on the Artane roundabout admiring the newly planted flowers. I'd estimate I had 10-15 minutes decent admiring time because the whole area was clogged.

How does a tunnel have technical difficulties? I mean really....

Edit: Yes, I'm being sarcastic.... I know its a complicated hole in the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

markpb wrote:
    How does a tunnel have technical difficulties?
    (As posted in the other thread on same topic)

It could have been a malfunction of:

*Electronic information signage
    *Fire Fighting Equipment/Services
    *Emergency Stations
    *CCTV
    *Loudspeaker System
    *FM Radio Break-in Service
    *Emergency Telephones
    seamus wrote:
    it had to be closed down for unknown reasons
    The reasons would hardly be 'unknown' to the tunnel authorities.

Mods - might be an idea to merge the two threads!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

kmick wrote:
    I hate to say it but - on your bike. I know its not their fault but the bus is an unreliable way to get anywhere. Dont you just hate the feeling of being an hour late for work bacause of the bus. Sooner the traffic gets banned from the city the better. Then cyclists, buses and pedestrians can rule the streets and the gridlock should be eased.

On an unrelated point Finna Fail must be quaking in their boots as one disaster after another shows how clueless they are. I mean they cant be blamed for someone crashing their car but that port tunnel has been a laughing stock from the day it opened with only one working lane and then banning cars from it. Also the fact lorries coming from the southside have to come all the way to the northside to get to the southside thereby adding to the already miserable traffic on both sides of the river.

I agree up to a point but nobody in thier right mind would cycle in Dublin traffic,not unless you want to get milled!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Degsy wrote:
    I agree up to a point but nobody in thier right mind would cycle in Dublin traffic,not unless you want to get milled!

Thats just silly although I would advise people with a nervous disposition not to cycle in Dublin.

Degsy wrote:

Plenty of people cycle around Dublin. As long as you're careful and well-lit (at night), it's usually pretty safe. You do need to pay attention all the time but it's far from dangerous.

And it's an awful lot faster. My commute from Coolock to Clontarf takes 15 minutes by bike but 45 by bus. That includes stopping at all the red lights and generally not being a muppet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Xylophonic

I did get the 27X and walk to DIT every morning, sometimes taking up to 2 hours. But now when I cycle I can do it in 45 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

I bought my scooter a couple of months ago and it is the best thing I have ever done.
    It used to take anywhere from 1-2hours to get to work (from Whitehall to Sandymount) and now it takes 20-30mins max. (my record time being 17minutes when the kids were off school :p )

I went the M50 route from the entrance to Sandyford even with the delay's my boss was pissy with me for being ten min's late , It took an hour and a half I left at 7.40 Not the worst but not the best either!
    I flipped a coin to go the motorway or through town I'm glad I made the right choice:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

markpb wrote:
    Plenty of people cycle around Dublin. As long as you're careful and well-lit (at night), it's usually pretty safe. You do need to pay attention all the time but it's far from dangerous.

And it's an awful lot faster. My commute from Coolock to Clontarf takes 15 minutes by bike but 45 by bus. That includes stopping at all the red lights and generally not being a muppet.

Looking at some people cycling "safely" through Dublin is enough to make my blood run cold,especially heading north from pearse treet across the liffey and up towards gardiner street.People pull out in front of cars,drive in the middle of the road,change lanes without indicating and yesterday i actually saw somebody cycling and texting!

Degsy wrote:
    Looking at some people cycling "safely" through Dublin is enough to make my blood run cold,especially heading north from pearse treet across the liffey and up towards gardiner street.People pull out in front of cars,drive in the middle of the road,change lanes without indicating and yesterday i actually saw somebody cycling and texting!

That could be because you don't notice the cyclists who do cycle safely. And it might defy logic if you haven't cycled, but being in the middle of the lane is the safest place to be because it stops drivers passing you when there isn't space to do so safely.

Anyway, we're getting off topic. Buses were much better this morning but, personally speaking, I don't know how people put up with it. Even the shortest journeys are painfully slow and I don't go near the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,939 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I used to cycle around Dublin plenty. Can't say I ever felt totally safe doing it though. Some routes are fine, others were a nightmare.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Advertisement