Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WSOP Structure Changes

Options
  • 21-03-2007 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_news/article/8529

Please read the above article if you are interested in playing any events at the WSOP this year.

I'm a bit as to :confused: why they have made these changes, They have doubled the starting chips for the main event, but made the first level 50-100, so essentially this makes it exactly the same, why?

Possible (but not great) reasons I can think of:
    • They want it to look like there is more play?
    • Something to do with the problems last year of a lot of extra chips finding there way into play in the main event (there wasn't enough talk/condemnation/inquiry into this in my opinion, problem blamed on the 'colouring up')
    • So they can have a '100 million chip+ pot', seems ridiculously frivolous but you never know what they will do for TV

They have taken out some levels also
    In the later rounds, the $50,000-$100,000 level has been cut. Players will instead jump right into the $60,000-$120,000 level (level 27). By the time players reach level 41, the ante structure gets very aggressive. It goes from a $400,000 ante to two levels of $500,000, and then it jumps to $1 million (blinds will be $3 million-$6 million).

This article doesn't really give much info on the other No Limit Hold'em events structures, which is a shame.

What does everyone make of the changes?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭StraddleFor6

Meh. Like you said, it doesn't really change anything. I assume its for t.v. and/or there were so many complaints about the starting stack of the $1500/$2000 events last year.
      More chips in main event = ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Meh. Like you said, it doesn't really change anything. I assume its for t.v. and/or there were so many complaints about the starting stack of the $1500/$2000 events last year.
      More chips in main event = ridiculous.

True, the problem isn't the starting stack in the $1500/$2000 events, its the structure, doubling the starting chips solves nothing if they double the first level, hopefully there is more play in these $1500/$2000 events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Norwich Fan Rob

its 2 chips for $1 instead of 1 chip for $1 in all events.

this is a huge improvement in all the side events, 1k, 1500 etc, and good to see. something had to be done, 1k starting stack for $1000 was crazy last year.

the main event will have more play , the blinds dont double every level, so by doubling the starting stack, u will in fact get more play.

its 2 chips for $1 instead of 1 chip for $1 in all events.

this is a huge improvement in all the side events, 1k, 1500 etc, and good to see. something had to be done, 1k starting stack for $1000 was crazy last year.

It doesn't say if the structure of these smaller events has been changed? Perhaps they start on 25-50 instead of 25-25 that they started last year.
      the main event will have more play , the blinds dont double every level, so by doubling the starting stack, u will in fact get more play.

I've never really understood it myself but my mathematically inclined friends (and Daniel Negreanu, a mathematically inclined fellow, but not a personal friend) tell me a 10k starting stack which starts 25-50 and a 20k starting stack that starts at 50-100 are exactly the same. Aside from this, the info on the main event is that they have taken a number of levels out, from my reading/understanding, there will be less play than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭death1234567

Any one else think that they should increase the buy-in for the main event? Too many players in it IMO, should cost more to enter to reduce the numbers.

• Advertisement
    • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭StraddleFor6

We need to see the full structure before we know if there's less/more play. Very interested to the structure of the side events this year.

Presume you two are playing the mansion 100k in 15 mins?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,134 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Any one else think that they should increase the buy-in for the main event? Too many players in it IMO, should cost more to enter to reduce the numbers.

No I don't. It is easdier to qualify with the current buy - in; and the value looks fantastic from what I have seen on ESPN the last couple of years. More fish when you have satellited in yourself is goot.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MacStacked

LuckyLloyd wrote:
      More fish when you have satellited in yourself is goot.

QFT

LuckyLloyd wrote:
      is easdier to qualify
      LuckyLLoyd wrote:
      satellited in yourself is goot.

LLoyd, 60cc's of Coffee, STAT! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,134 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The-Rigger wrote:
      LLoyd, 60cc's of Coffee, STAT! :D

I actually could do with some coffee and a warm hug. Overtime sucks. :(

• Advertisement