Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The New SU Shop

Options
  • 21-03-2007 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Well? What do ye think?
    Personally i think it looks great inside, however... Anytime i go in there the queue is massive:eek: :eek: , and there only seems to be only 2 people serving! :mad: On more than one occasion, the queue went always back to the deli counter!!:mad: which is a good bit back. Seriousely, it needs to be sorted.

Other than that, i think it was a positive move.:D

Any thoughts?
    Claasman

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Queues are crazy for the deli counter.

Sandwichs and hot food beside each and a massive queue. Bah.

Other than that..I miss the scholars :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭morbo

kaimera wrote:
    Queues are crazy for the deli counter.

Sandwichs and hot food beside each and a massive queue. Bah.

Other than that..I miss the scholars :(
    I think everyone misses Scholars. The queues are a bit of a joke alright. Was in there this morning, and there were guys fixing lights and drilling into the ceiling over the deli counter. Needless to say, I skipped the roll and headed for the Stables for a breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Ya at the moment they are short staffed so when they have more staff hired the queues should be sorted.

I miss the Scholars too:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Queue for this, queue for that, queue for something else...

It's all pretty and everything, but......

I guess I'm just a Scholars person...:( *sniff, sniff* I miss the late, lazy pints in there...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

i) Far, FAR, too many sweets on sale - I'm not a health freak but they have dairy milks on sale in 3 or 4 different areas of the shop - replace both sides of the display in front of you when you walk in with something other than sweets
    ii)People are stealing by just walking out of the shop from the deli - they need a few cash tills over there
    iii)It's just the same food with more of it, I had hoped for some more variety
    iv)New coffee machine/doghnuts is great
    v)Queues are mad
    vi)A little tiny fruit stand tucked away in the corner

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Tis nice to look at I'll give it that. Very lush marble floors and what not.

I'd agree with the too many sweets, and despite the space, it still feels a bit cluttered and crowded, as for the deli queues....bit of a joke alright.

All in all Scholars > SU Shop

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Funkstard wrote:
    i) Far, FAR, too many sweets on sale - I'm not a health freak but they have dairy milks on sale in 3 or 4 different areas of the shop - replace both sides of the display in front of you when you walk in with something other than sweets
    I agree. There's not even that much of a selection - it's mostly all the same stuff. No crazy foreign stuff like in the Londis in town :(
    ii)People are stealing by just walking out of the shop from the deli - they need a few cash tills over there
    Yeah the location of the door is retarded. The problem is the tills are in front of the other front door. IMO they need to put in a new door by the tills and get rid of the other one.
    v)Queues are mad
    They're not really much worse than before, but at least there's room to queue now! As others said, they need more staff.

I think they should officially name it the Scholars Memorial Shop. :)

My anger towards the shop has gotten greater as the week has progressed. It's p*ssing me off big time!

It's basically the same shop, only enlarged...like a picture enlarged on a photo-copier...except now the problems are more apparent. Whereas before the queues were hidden winding around the aisles, now they're blatantly obvious. Queue, queue, queue...

Same stock as well, only more of it. Or, proportionately, less of it...in the case of fruit/dairy products/anything with remotely less additives...

Tbh, it hasn't justified itself.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Not to cruelly pick on one person or anything, but when I was there in the old SU shop there was always a ridiculously long queue, and one dithery old woman serving. I just remember silently screaming at her to just scan my ****ing roll so I could get out of there. I have never seen a slower shop assistant in my life.

Not to cruelly pick on one person or anything....one dithery old woman

Whoops :p

They seem to have more staff on now, was in there today and they had 4 people on tills.

Queue still reached half way across the shop mind!

• Advertisement

There is one assistant who is a cold piece of ****, never looks at you, never says thanks or anything, always puts your change on the table. Get out of here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

Not to cruelly pick on one person or anything, but when I was there in the old SU shop there was always a ridiculously long queue, and one dithery old woman serving. I just remember silently screaming at her to just scan my ****ing roll so I could get out of there. I have never seen a slower shop assistant in my life.

she's still there.....:(

Funkstard wrote:
    There is one assistant who is a cold piece of ****, never looks at you, never says thanks or anything, always puts your change on the table. Get out of here.

what a BITCH!:mad:

All i'm waiting for next is to be stopped on the way out the door to be asked for my receipt - god help the poor so-n-so who does so!

Are you talking about that old woman who never presses the subtotal button on the till so you often end up asking how much everything was again? Grrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I'm on Co-Op so I don't know if the situation is still the same but it used to drive me mad in the old shop that even though the queue was out the shop the deli workers still worked at the same speed they would if there was one or two people in the shop. I'm convinced that's why the queues are so bad. They need to speed up and stop trying to make each sandwich perfectly.

ergonomics wrote:
    They need to speed up and stop trying to make each sandwich perfectly.

Ehh, they don't do that either...I've gotten plenty of shoddy sandwiches in my time :p

I'd be fairly pissed off if I paid for a sandwich and it was sloppily made tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Ehh, they don't do that either...I've gotten plenty of shoddy sandwiches in my time :p

And thus what i like to refer to as the 'gravity roll' is born. A roll, its main characeristic being that the only thing holding the filling in, is gravity, its basiclly stuff on bread.:mad: Really grinds my gears...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

dK1NG wrote:
    All i'm waiting for next is to be stopped on the way out the door to be asked for my receipt - god help the poor so-n-so who does so!

They're perfectly within their rights to ask for a receipt, but they feel so uncomfortable about it they won't...put some erasmus students on the door and everyone's receipt ll be ckecked

• Registered Users Posts: 17,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

The old SU shop used to get its stock from the Spar suppliers, and now the new shop is officially a Spar. Explains why the stock is the exact same.

As for the 2 doors - if they left those tills where they were and put a new, single one in right beside the other door so that people who were at the deli counter can pay there instead of queuing at the other place, it might make things much better.

And yes, that old one - she the blame for a lot of queues.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Feelin pretty bad about bringing up that old lady now. She is after all only doing her job, even though she cant do it well at all. And she has nearly made my eyes bleed with anger. But still.... its not her fault they keep letting her back in to serve.

• Advertisement

There is an area by the counter that's closed off now - maybe they're fitting a door in there?

Yeh I asked earlier, they're putting in a door right beside the tills. Makes alot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

Feelin pretty bad about bringing up that old lady now. She is after all only doing her job, even though she cant do it well at all. And she has nearly made my eyes bleed with anger. But still.... its not her fault they keep letting her back in to serve.

Can you all please leave her alone, she's only trying to make a living. As you said, it isn't her fault.

Not knowing how to use the till is her fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

C'mon folks.

Lets play nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Not knowing how to use the till is her fault.

No it's not it's a training shortfall!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I saw the shop for the first time during the week when I went in to vote (Im on CoOp) Im impressed it does look very good. Though as was said already that section for chocolate bars is massive. There really is no need to fill the shelves with 2 cases of each type of bar.

Its also nice to see a variety of donuty type stuff as opposed to the generic Cuisine de France that seems to be everywhere. Smoothie bar is good too.

Advertisement