Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q: Dell Inspiron 1501 - Decent Setup & Is TrueLife any use?

Options
  • 21-03-2007 1:29am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The following specs seem decent enough to me:
    • AMD® Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL50
    • Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium - English
    • Collect & Return, 90 Day Service only
    • 15.4" Wide Screen XGA TFT Display: 1280x800
    • 1024MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x512)
    • 120GB (5,400 rpm) Hard Drive
    • Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including Software
    • ATI Radeon® Xpress 1150 256MB HyperMemory™
    • 4Cell 29WHr Primary battery
    • !!!FREE!!! Carry Case

PRICE: €631 (new)

Notice it's Vista Premium over Vista Basic, so the laptop could try and chug away trying to run Aero...

Seems a pretty decent setup for that price but just wanted to see what others thought.

One other query too: Is TrueLife any use? It appears as an upgrade to the LCD screen and in their effort to flog it, Dell make it appear that it'll make your screen considerably brighter. Has anyone got it and noticed any significant improvment worth forking out €60 (as it's hardly easy to upgrade this at a later stage)?

Thankee again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Personally I wouldn't bother with Truelife. Most people buy it and end up complaining it's too shiney!

Spec wise the machine is good for the price. The X1150 is fine for Aero too, so don't worry about that.

It's hard to find good articles on the X1150, but take a look at this:

7506.png

The X200 plays Half Life 2 at 800x600, high settings, at almost 40fps - not bad. The X1150 actually has a 100mhz faster core and so performs even better then the X200 - if that gives you any indication of it's performance. Notice how the X200 is practically twice the performer of the GMA950, which you were asking about in your other thread.

Also worth a look, although more so for case design and layout over the performance as the one here is the very base Sempron with 512mb Ram: Review

Edit: I found the thread showing BF2142 and HL2 actually running on the X1100 - again, keep in mind that the X1150 in the 1501 is actually a good margin improved. Here

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Thanks again Havok - some good info once more!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

AFAIC, TrueLife is a must! Just got 3 different people to buy Dell laptops in the past month and all 3 are delighted with TrueLife! I have to admit, it does look good! However it is true, If you have a window behind you, you will see the reflection of it on the screen. But if this happens just move! :p
    TrueLife definitely worth it IMO.

As for the spec: got something pretty similar for my sister's birthday last week and I was impressed with the performance (didn't test graphics card though)! But that's because I removed Vista to install XP... I'm sure it would be much slower had I left Vista... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

true life is ok for movies and games etc. But for office work in a office environment and lighting etc. I'd avoid it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

BostonB wrote:
    true life is ok for movies and games etc. But for office work in a office environment and lighting etc. I'd avoid it.

I second that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,156 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Inspiron 6400
    Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor T2060(1.6GHz/533MHz/1MB)
    Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium - English
    Collect & Return, 1 Year Service only
    15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display
    1024MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x512)
    80GB (5,400rpm) Hard Drive
    Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including software
    Intel® Media Accelerator 950 Graphics Up to 256MB shared graphics memory
    6 Cell, 56Whr Lithium Ion Primary Battery

615euro configuring this http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=ie&cs=iedhs1&kc=FS00004&l=en&oc=N03645a&rbc=N03645a&s=dhs&sbc=iedhsftdhpnotebook1

better warrenty, similar processor, only integrated graphics though, and smaller hard drive

have you checked out the outlet on dells site or factory outlet on ebay, you can get good deals there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

If you buy that make sure you get the 9 cell battery its definatly worth the money

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It's actually bought! Decided not to go with TrueLife for now because of the potential lighting issue (we'll be moving and don't know what the lighting will be like in our new place).

Upgraded the battery to a 6-cell battery over the 4-cell in the end, so it cost abour €650 (hurrah for the EPP!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

eolhc wrote:
    better warrenty, similar processor, only integrated graphics though, and smaller hard drive

have you checked out the outlet on dells site or factory outlet on ebay, you can get good deals there

The difference between the processors isn't worth mentioning and the gma950 is rubbish for what he's listed as one of his needs, so I'd still say the 1501 is by far the better option in this case.

Advertisement